Would you take him during bow season?

nybuckboy

I think this is the same buck we saw last year as a deformed spike on the right and 3 point on the left. The spike was bent down along side of his head. He has grown a lot in one year. I think he damaged the pedicle and he will probably always be deformed on the right. I don't think his genes are bad just the pedicle is damaged.

My question is should I kill him if I get a chance or let him breed?

post-402-0-99431500-1347589363_thumb.jpg

Personally, I like to let them age until there is a huge sway in their back. In fact if it sways enough for his belly to drag the ground a bit, so much the better. Also, if he is stumbling from frailness and has a definite arthritic limp, so much the better. Also I like to see a slight sunken-in look around the lips indicating no teeth. No, I think it is a bit too soon to be taking that youngster.

Enjoy the view and let him walk is my view. Even tho he is a 2 yr old i would give him another year, Myself... Now if you are just in it for the gravy, I say fire away and enjoy the meals. Rack wise he might get a little more mass but with the messed up pedical he will be limited on what he can make!

Enjoy the view and let him walk is my view. Even tho he is a 2 yr old i would give him another year, Myself... Now if you are just in it for the gravy, I say fire away and enjoy the meals. Rack wise he might get a little more mass but with the messed up pedical he will be limited on what he can make!

This is kind of the way my son and I are thinking too and to let him pass but the messed up pedicle tells me he probably will never be a nice rack. I love me some venison and I will take some meat throughout the season at some point but I don't hide the fact that I'm a rack hunter.

This is such an individual question. I, never have shot a buck with a bow yet, would take him without hesitation. Sounds like you have a real plan for your management of your herd. I am jealous and don't have that ability since most of my hunting is public lands so I can only take what I get before the next gu does.

This is such an individual question. I, never have shot a buck with a bow yet, would take him without hesitation. Sounds like you have a real plan for your management of your herd. I am jealous and don't have that ability since most of my hunting is public lands so I can only take what I get before the next gu does.

I will make a short note here since you mention management but go into greater detail in an other thread. Yes we do plan to practice management now that my son and I are the only ones who have permission to hunt this land and 3 0f the 5 landowners surrounding plan to take only big bucks.

There is a bruiser in the area. Was seen last year by others hunting the land and I found one of his sheds this early summer. Has to go 150+ w/o any question. Described as monstrous by the hunter who saw him twice. Also the farmer who hays the only hay field in the general area saw him end of Aug and described the rack as a big box on his head... very squared looking.