Speaking of cars, whats everyone drive?

Zag

My sister had a Civic (think it was a 90 something) she put over 200k on it before she wrecked it. The thing ran and drove like new and she's not exactly the best when it comes to maintenance. Just change the oil when it's due  and I bet you will get another 11 years out of it.

The problem is that occasionally I get the urge to get a new car, but this thing just won't give me the justification to do it. Right now it has cost $7.26 per day to keep it around. That includes the original cost, every service and repair and the taxes on each item. Every cent that I have put into the thing except gas and insurance. That's damn cheap transportation. When you think about it, it costs about $20,000 to $30,000+ to buy a new car these days. You can put a heck of a lot of dollars worth of repairs into this car before the total comes anywhere near that. Plus, even though Hondas hold their value like crazy, there is not a whole lot that anyone would give me on an 11 year old car of any make.

I have been thinking that my Grand-daughter who is in College (50 miles away) could sure use a replacement for that rickety old hunk of junk that she is driving. So I am seriously considering buying a new one and giving the old one to her. While it doesn't make sense in terms of dollars, there seems to be other good reasons to do it.

The problem is that occasionally I get the urge to get a new car, but this thing just won't give me the justification to do it. Right now it has cost $7.26 per day to keep it around. That includes the original cost, every service and repair and the taxes on each item. Every cent that I have put into the thing except gas and insurance. That's damn cheap transportation. When you think about it, it costs about $20,000 to $30,000+ to buy a new car these days. You can put a heck of a lot of dollars worth of repairs into this car before the total comes anywhere near that. Plus, even though Hondas hold their value like crazy, there is not a whole lot that anyone would give me on an 11 year old car of any make.

I have been thinking that my Grand-daughter who is in College (50 miles away) could sure use a replacement for that rickety old hunk of junk that she is driving. So I am seriously considering buying a new one and giving the old one to her. While it doesn't make sense in terms of dollars, there seems to be other good reasons to do it.

At least you know that your grand-daughter will be driving a reliable, well maintained vehicle. Sounds like a good plan. Plus you get to track the old Honda and still see how its running.

Wife has an 09 Rav4 v6 limited 4x4 w/ 62k and I also have a 2003 silverado ls extended cab 4x4 w/ 120k. Pictured are an 05 R6 w/ 8k and 09 Pontiac G8 w/ 31k. Both have work done. The golden retriever is stock ;)

2d11ba75-02c8-414a-89a9-6306cd23e227_zps

Belo, you didnt spring for the Raven edition?  :biggrin:

2003 Chevy Cavalier blue 2 door couple, manual shift, power nothing.... not even a cassette tape deck.  FM stereo and AC are only "options".  141,000+ miles.  take it hunting.  one spring I practically buried in the mud to go turkey hunting.

Uhhhhhhhhhh.......not what I expected.....lol

I know, I know.

The evolution of my vehicle owner ship went like this.

First truck 94 F-150 with an in line six.

- modify my first truck with a 4" lift and 35" tires and mudding / trail riding locally.

- Further modify the truck with a 8" lift and 38" tires, 9" rear axle with a Detroit locker, and another locker in the front, winch and a bunch of other gizmoe's and going on hard core off-road trips out of state.

Then the realization sets in that chances are pretty good im going to break down out of state to the point where i cant fix it. I.E. disintegrate a tranny, motor, Axle etc. etc.

In comes a 2001 3/4 ton Dodge with a 5.9, 6 speed to trailer the above - God i miss that truck.

Then i get married have kids sell all my toys and i pick up my current ride from my father in-law.

'02 Saturn SL1, 4 door sedan.  178K on the old girl.  I drive 60 miles round trip to work, daycare and home.  Plus its awesome not having a payment and its pretty good on fuel,  its a little small, but here is a fun fact......Did you know that you can fit a full grown deer into the truck of a Saturn Sedan, and close the trunk?  Have done it a few times. B)

2004 Silverado Z71 with 95k for the farm and outdoors activities, 2005 chrysler town & country with 62k  for hauling the kids and long trips, 2002 Camry with 170k as my wifes daily commuter, and a 1998 Corolla with 88k for my daily commuter.  Haven't had a payment in 5 years...don't miss that!

Belo, you didnt spring for the Raven edition?  :biggrin:

bought her used from a chick with only 800 on her in 2007. I'd like an 09 or newer R1 but it'll probably never happen. I'm actually not a fan of the newer body style R6's. I'd get a CBR600 over a newer R6 if I stayed with the 600s. Right now the bike doesn't owe me anything and still runs great.

2006 Ford Escape 4 banger

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

The truck has been relegated to use only when hunting or for trukc related tasks. She's starting to rust pretty bad at the rear wheel wells. I could care less as long as it doesn't cost me more in mechanical repairs.

Been driving the 06 Escape and the wife drives the hybrid. Really like them for daily driving and the mileage is decent.

POR is great stuff.  Just don't get it on your hands unless your want black splattered hands for quite a while.  Do you know anyplace local that sells POR15?

Auto Finishers has it. Yeah, dont get it on yourself, it takes a week or more to go away, and you can never ever get it out of your clothes. I wear rubber gloves when I use it.