So, what do you think so far?

Doc

Well, we got through the first weekend. So what do you think of the herd size so far. I'm reading some disturbing stats in the latest issue of New York Outdoor News. that claims the numbers so far are down. I didn't read the article yet, just the headline. So what is your estimate of what you have been seeing, hearing, etc. in your part of your WMU?

I missed opening day. i was out this weekend and only saw a few deer right as the sun was going down. The wind was horrible in 4Y so I assumed I wasn't going to see much even before I went out. Saw a lot of action during bow season but no shooter came into range. Hopefully I can fill a few tags before regular/muzzle season ends.

Seeing good numbers and good sized bucks but not herded up like they usually are. deer are scattered and hold tight to thick cover. So much food available within 100 yards or closer to where they are bedding that they arent moving much. doing well at camp so far 3 buck and 4 doe. with lots of missed shots and now dead trees!! lol. I dont think numbers are down just not where they usually are in groups. been warm and no hunters moving around. perhaps will be moving better and herd up by thanksgiving as large amount of snow expected.

There still is a lot of activity by me in 3M and heard about 8 shots at dusk today.  I had 15 in the field I hunt over this afternoon with 3 small bucks.   Season has been very active for me and took a nice 8 during bow.   My processor says his numbers are up here in Orange co.   As G-man stated above they're holding to cover near their beds.  I'm hunt about 85 yards from a thicket and can glass them moving back and forth.

Edited by Steve7

In the areas I hunt here in Central Livingston Co it appears the number of hunters are dwindling each year and this first part of the season has been fairly quiet so far. The deer herd seems to be a tad lower than normal but everyone I know has taken a buck or passed on one. Factors that make the herd seem low include the deer moving less due to the amount of food available to them this fall. More night time movement seems to be taking place this fall too. But I expect the coming snow will help hunters tag some deer or at least see sign of where the deer spent some time before vanishing back to their hiding spot.

Edited by genesee_mohican

Hunt in 4W, have been seeing does but the bucks have vanished. Have pictures on trail cam during bow season, thought this would be a good gun season but not so. One coyote shot on Sunday but still no shooter bucks this is the second year of AR. Going back after thanksgiving, if at first you don't succeed try, try again.

In my area, sightings are low also.  Same reasons over abundant amounts of food.  My sugar beet plots and apple trees have not been touched.  No need for a lot of travel. so they are hanging close.  Mostly in my wetland swamp.  You go near there and you can not step without stepping on some sort of nut on the ground.  My cameras pre season had a lot of pics. In a 5 day time, I had 78 pics of deer between bedding and feeding areas.  Seems when the food hit the ground, they shut off. I am thinking this weekend after dinner thursday a few drives through the swamp and heavy pines are in order. 

Huge amounts of deer in my chunk of 8N. The cameras, and the snow doesn't lie. It still requires being in the right spot at the right time ..... not always that easy. One thing I have noticed is that it is once again that time of the season where deer have bunched up. So if you don't happen to be in the area where the bunch goes by, you may get the impression that there is not a deer in the woods. If the bunch goes by you, you will probably be telling everyone about the gobs of deer in the woods. The best way to check it all out is to walk around with this snow on the ground. Deer cannot move without leaving their story behind

• Like 2

4r pretty quiet as far as bucks killed. There were a few taken. My father and I both had a chance to take 2 nice bucks in the same spot back to back days which has never happened before since we've been hunting this area for 50 + years. We've seen plenty of bucks at night, one really big 10 ptr.and numerous smaller bucks most of which were legal bucks to shoot. Seen so many rubs some scrapes. I was actually impressed with the amount of bucks around my area this year. As of now most of them were not taken. Now I am not saying this is a result of the AR's because it has not been long enough to see results already. I am pleased at the number of bucks though. For some reason where I hunt we have seen almost no does during the day only at night. Most deer we see during the day have been bucks. It used to be most of the deer we would see during the day were does. 

This is the worst year I've ever experienced. Been hunting the same properties for 14 years now and never seen so few deer. I went out exactly 25x during bow season and have 11 different stands to choose from. I saw 1 buck, 2 does, and 9 fawns (several repeats). Absolutely pathetic! All the surrounding neighbors are experiencing the same thing too. Talked to one neighbor on opening day of gun season. He said he had 7 guys hunting with him and they never even saw a deer!!

I had a feeling it was going to be a bad year, based on my lack of trailcam pics all summer and fall.