What stage are you in

bubba

Hunter Ed defines 5 stages of a hunter.  I will explain them a bit and then ask which stage are you in and why.  No right or wrong answer, just a thing to help analyze where we are in our hunting lives.  Not everyone progresses from on to another and you can move either way on the scale, or never move at all.  Just an exercise in self reflection regarding hunting.

1  The shooter stage.

Simply defined you do a lot of shooting.  If you go out duck hunting with a box of shells, you have to shoot them all.  Or of you see a deer you have to empty the gun.

2. The limiting out Stage.

If you can harvest 3 deer in a season, you have to harvest all three or it was not a good time.  Also if you can shoot three grouse a day legally, you shoot all three even though you may only eat two.  I like to also call this one the bragger or competitor stage

3. Trophy Stage.

You decide what is a trophy to you and you concentrate your efforts on getting that animal.   For instance you may say I will not take a deer under an 8 point or a turkey with a beard less than 8 inches.  Just remember that defining a trophy is different to all people.  My best trophy is a 110 pound spike horn.  The reason is because I shoot it with my dad's savcge model 99 300 savage the year after he passed away. 

4. Method stage.  

You decide on a way you plan to hunt for instance only with the bow muzzleloader etc. Or you decide I am only going to hunt from thr ground this year no tree stands etc.  

5. The Sportsman stage.

The entire hunt is very enjoyable to you.  spending time at camp with friends and family is as important to you as harvesting a deer.  You feel just as good when someone else gets a deer as if you did yourself.  

I am locked in the method and sportsman stage.  I lover to have friends and family at camp.  Making a good meal sitting around in the evening shooting the breeze.  I especially like having new hunters and see them be successful.  The smiles on their faces are priceless.   I also enjoy teaching the hunter ed classes knowing I have helped a new person join our ranks.  I also hunt pretty much exclusively with a muzzleloader even for small game.  My exception is one weekend a season. I take my dad's rifle out and hunt.  it is always the weekend closest to his birthday.

There is a sixth stage.....The Last Stage.

That's the one where you go out hoping that you don't actually shoot anything that you will have to gut and drag. The 6th stage includes the phase of hunting where you get all dressed up and out the door and then turn around and go back to bed because it's too cold outside.

• Like 7

I used to think these progressions were accurate and spot on, but I think it's a farce now. The progressions are linear, but hunter development is not.

I enjoy aspects of nearly every single one of those progressions now. I don't see myself ever getting to the point I represent one or even two that are stepping stoned.

There's no benefit to labeling hunters with this breakdown. No reason people can't enjoy aspects of all five - or six as doc described - my FIL is largely there.

• Like 3

That's the one where you go out hoping that you don't actually shoot anything that you will have to gut and drag. The 6th stage includes the phase of hunting where you get all dressed up and out the door and then turn around and go back to bed because it's too cold outside.

yep.. I'm closing in on stage 6 then ;)

• Like 1

Well I would say I am in the Trophy stage and method stage right now. Using bow only and only shooting big bucks, but fill my doe tags, so all stages I guess. When I go duck hunting, goose hunting, rabbit hunting I am in the shooter stage. ..Ha no way around that one. When I go up to camp I am in the sportsman stage, really there for a good time, the hunting is a bonus. Can a person be in all stages? Bubba that 99 savage is a great gun, and that is a great way to honor your father. I have shot my biggest buck to date with my fathers 99 savage .300, they sure are a great shooter. 

Yeah, I don't buy this stage categorizations either.  I think everyone is different, and it's pointless to try to put a hunter in any category.  Hell, I hunt because I've enjoyed it over the years and it's nice to get to see some game animals in the woods and hopefully get a shot at them and then enjoy eating what I get.  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  No need to psychoanalyze any of it.

That was me yesterday in 9H with my muzzleloader in thigh deep snow. It would have to be one heck of a deer for me to drop the hammer yesterday.

Doc, this stage is called " The Doddering Old Fart" stage...

I am firmly entrenched in this stage...I haven't even dusted off my mud dozer yet, and I'm wondering if I REALLY want to brave the cold tomorrow for the last day of PA rifle season..

Too much to think about..I think it's time for my NAP....

• Like 1

I used to think these progressions were accurate and spot on, but I think it's a farce now. The progressions are linear, but hunter development is not.

I enjoy aspects of nearly every single one of those progressions now. I don't see myself ever getting to the point I represent one or even two that are stepping stoned.

There's no benefit to labeling hunters with this breakdown. No reason people can't enjoy aspects of all five - or six as doc described - my FIL is largely there.

Yeah I suppose you're right... maybe the only stage that doesn't fit me would be #1... although I do get a kick out of our winter muzzleloader league at the gun club...  so maybe it fits