Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

4 hours ago, Nomad said:

It’s rare for me to bow hunt afternoons outside of the rut , when most bucks I’ve killed have been with a good hour or two of light left . Little to no interest in tracking , dressing , dragging in the dark on “ last light sits .” 

Always a toss up for me with morning vs night. Most of my kills are morning, but I've had my fair share at night. On one hand with a night sit I don't have to wake up early. But with a morning sit I have all day and all the light for tracking and recovery vs the darkness of night, even with a good hit. 

I do them both based on schedule, but find evening hunts during the early season are more productive at my place if I can get in without bumping them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Well I may have to retire, little Zeek is fillin our freezer all on his own. We went out after half time of the Bills game, got settled in he was in a hang on and i was in a tree next to him in my climber. Nothing was stirring not even a mouse or squirrel. Eventually a fox moved thru and then a single grey squirel. Maybe 45mins later a doe comes strolling down a path that will take her within 15 yards of his stand. He came to full draw and waited for a clear shot. Honestly one of the coolest moments ive ever experienced in the woods. To see the emotion in him...im one proud dad. 

Doe went maybe 75 yards, shot was high but got both lungs, easy trailto follow.

This is so cool to see!  How old is he, I want to show my son the pics!

32 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Gonna be a quick turnaround time on this one. Hope it scores me some bonus points! Lol

1631425491_received_53802417754271182.thumb.jpeg.ec0a342e750e89dfa5046b5c9aebadd7.jpeg

1069734831_IMG_20221003_092340786_HDR2.thumb.jpg.ff9ca1104b398a4671dc7375dabcbf46.jpg

29297473_IMG_20221003_092333968_HDR2.thumb.jpg.bff8c0511eee92dc6d560b81b8cceb9f.jpg

I'm convinced that my wife and I conceived  our first son the night I shot a nice 9 point in November. If there is a better combo, I don't know what it is haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Belo said:

Always a toss up for me with morning vs night. Most of my kills are morning, but I've had my fair share at night. On one hand with a night sit I don't have to wake up early. But with a morning sit I have all day and all the light for tracking and recovery vs the darkness of night, even with a good hit. 

I do them both based on schedule, but find evening hunts during the early season are more productive at my place if I can get in without bumping them.

Ive killed all my biggest bucks in the morning. The biggest factor is knowing where to be in the am to see them.  Afternoons are easier sits to see them  food and doe groups... but with the exception of the rut the big ones dont get there till after dark

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah i like the positivity, but looks like a single lung and that's not always fatal, especially on big bucks.

That and it looks like he stood in those two spots for a bit.  Deer don't usually do that if hit hard.  

Hopefully he finds him on the ground today, or puts eyes on him in a few days. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Ive killed all my biggest bucks in the morning. The biggest factor is knowing where to be in the am to see them.  Afternoons are easier sits to see them  food and doe groups... but with the exception of the rut the big ones dont get there till after dark

As you and I and many know, it's all about bedding and food early season. If you pick the right spots to catch them going from one to the other (morning or night) and don't bump them from the food or bed you will for sure at least put yourself in a good spot for a nice buck or at least some doe.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have killed good bucks both morning and evening sits. I guess I'm not old enough to be afraid of missing bedtime or being scared in the dark lol!! JK 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have killed good bucks both morning and evening sits. I guess I'm not old enough to be afraid of missing bedtime or being scared in the dark lol!! JK 

Scariest moment of my life was walking into my stand in the dark one early morning and a bobcat screamed right next to me. Loudest, scariest sound ever and it freaked me the right out! Ended up shooting a nice 6 point that day so I will still venture out there in the dark but will never forget that scary scream!

• Haha 2

Went and grabbed my stand and put a camera where those bucks came out yesterday.  Bunch of beech trees dropping nuts found a rub from last night is my guess.  Field was full of night beds and could see where the deer or something walked through in the dew.  Made a mock scrape and hung a camera.  Have north wind expected for next Saturday and a high of 48. Forecast keeps that way I’ll be back up hoping one of those bucks pop back out. 

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Scariest moment of my life was walking into my stand in the dark one early morning and a bobcat screamed right next to me. Loudest, scariest sound ever and it freaked me the right out! Ended up shooting a nice 6 point that day so I will still venture out there in the dark but will never forget that scary scream!

Yep, had that happen probably the second time I ever went hunting by myself.  I about stained myself.  I didn't get a buck that morning though.  

21 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Still ongoing

Did he say if he is still on a blood trail ?    Only Chef would know , but when he mentioned it looked like the arrow nose dived after the hit , I expected the arrow to hit either the bottom of the opposite lung or cut some of the main arteries near the heart on the downward deflection . That blood was not dripping out of the exit hole . That was pouring out . I expected the buck would be dead within a couple hundred yards . Especially being left alone overnight .  Really hope he finds him .

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

Oh common... We need more than that....

1 minute ago, SportsmanNH said:

Did he say if he is still on a blood trail ?    Only Chef would know , but when he mentioned it looked like the arrow nose dived after the hit , I expected the arrow to hit either the bottom of the opposite lung or cut some of the main arteries near the heart on the downward deflection . That blood was not dripping out of the exit hole . That was pouring out . I expected the buck would be dead within a couple hundred yards . Especially being left alone overnight .  really hope he finds him .

I believe waiting on a dog to arrive

• Like 2