No Jakes Rule?

Five Seasons

I'm not sure what the point would be. Older versions of male turkeys? Is there any documentation that increasing the average age of the male turkeys has any positive effect on the turkey population? I mean there has to be some theory of benefit involved and not just some arbitrary restriction just for restriction's sake..... right?

Without searching all the states' regs, I do remember at least one state where there is a minimum beard length.  Alabama. perhaps..

Another reg in at least one state is GOBBLER only... Bearded hens are not legal as they are in many states... maybe that's Alabama also.

By me last year the population was down, But thanks to the trappers and hunters wiping out a good part of the Fox and Yote. population, the turkeys have made a comeback.

Opening week of rifle season I had 36 turkeys cross the road and come on to my property and stayed on it for most of the rifle season.Pecking away at the ground.Must have been something they liked to keep them there that long.

Very tempting to pull the trigger when you see a bunch of 8" and 10" beards around you.

if you want to do that where you hunt because you think you will shoot a bigger bird next year, that's fine. We have tons of turkeys where I hunt and even more on the property across the street, so it wouldn't make much sense here. I actually hope to shoot a jake this year so I can use the fan for my full strut decoy. but to each his own I guess

What states have that?

Mississippi for one. I'm sure there are others.

http://www.mdwfp.com/media/7311/hunting_seasons.pdf

interestingly enough there are no time limits and season bag limit is 3.

You could never be sure if the beard was 6”s or 5 7/8 of inch till you shot it.

It's no different than states that have ARs on inside spread or main beam. Also, MS has some areas where inside spread must be 10" and others where it's 12. They give you guidelines, but you're right. You could easily mess up.

Edited by Belo

i do not see a reason for a 1 bird limit... most people i know only get 1 anyway.. perhaps splitting the season 1 bird from may 1-15, and 1 from 16-31st like they use too. 90% of all breeding is done in april. popualtion is much more a factor of habitat, and weather, predators (including them pesky birds of prey...)

• Like 1