So who is at fault here???

First-light

I think the guy is an absolute idiot for making that video public.........I assume that if it was taken out of season and without a license there will be some type of investigation, really can't tweak your story when you'rs dumb enough to put the entire encounter out for the world to see.

• Like 2

I commented on this on a different site so........

-The guy has DEEP snow on either side of him that could easily caused him to get buried and then be at more risk from a attack.

-The snowmobile may not have reverse and who knows how many other sleds are behind him (other than the second one at the end of the clip) and they'd all need to back up and who knows if that would have averted any more aggression from said moose.

-That moose could have killed him on the first attack and then it came back for another round.

-The shooter is carrying in "condition 3" and had to rack the slide to get things in gear.  The first shot could have been a warning that the moose didn't heed and the resulting shots were pretty darn good IMO.

Could he have quickly shot off the trail and went around? 

Would he have gotten stuck?

Who else was with him and was that sled capable of the same maneuver?

Did he provoke it by shouting and inching closer?  Maybe........

Who took the first punch?  Who finished it? :keeporder:

• Like 3

I think I would have just sat back and waited until the thing moved on. The moose got aggressive when he pulled his sled closer. But its a tough call either way. The thing did charge him & I wouldn't take a chance on a second charge.

• Like 1

First he stops with a trail right to his left.  Second you can see where he stops the second time after creeping closer to the moose someone else has already driven off to the side of the trail with a snowmobile. So the snows not too deep and he had an alternative trail to take right from the start.  He pushed his luck to far with his inability to respect the wildlife in there home.  My opinion, what a piece of crap. You ever see a whitetail dispatched with a glock?  It aint pretty let alone a moose, that moose had to suffer for some time after words. 

First he stops with a trail right to his left.  Second you can see where he stops the second time after creeping closer to the moose someone else has already driven off to the side of the trail with a snowmobile. So the snows not too deep and he had an alternative trail to take right from the start.  He pushed his luck to far with his inability to respect the wildlife in there home.  My opinion, what a piece of crap. You ever see a whitetail dispatched with a glock?  It aint pretty let alone a moose, that moose had to suffer for some time after words. 

yeah, he should have at least had the decency to finish it off...and my opinion of him is right up there with yours.

• Like 1

I am not able to write my opinion on the guy without being warned about my language , had he not kept moving forward when the moose retreated he would have been fine . He was riding a snowmobile meant for deep snow and could have easily went around , he could have even kept his cool and let the moose retreat .

I saw the moose on the trail from quite a distance away and I would assume he did too.  But he kept on going further down the trail.  I would have just waited a few minutes.  The moose would have eventually moved.  This guy barely waited a few seconds.  Yes, once the moose charged, it was justifiable but it shouldn't have gotten to that in the first place.  Someone once mentioned that the rule is you shouldn't do while carrying what you wouldn't not do if you were not carrying.  Apparently having a gun on him gave him the attitude that he owns the road.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 5

Not to mention that moose and deer are yarded up in the winter. A lot of snowmobile trails cut right through their yarding areas and every passing snowmobile causes unnecessary stress on the animals. This guy is a douche and should be punished like any other poacher.

Not to mention that moose and deer are yarded up in the winter. A lot of snowmobile trails cut right through their yarding areas and every passing snowmobile causes unnecessary stress on the animals. This guy is a douche and should be punished like any other poacher.

A project we did in Northern NH ran through two winters with very deep snow. The moose would hit the snowmobile trails and use them. It was easier than the deep snow for them. I bet encounters could be common on the trails. Too bad this one turned out like this.

well being in the middle of moose country here in Nh

I have had plenty of run in's with moose been chased a few times

99% of the time they will not continue to charge or chase for very far

so much stuff this guy did wrong in my eyes right from the get go

he was the aggressor here not the moose & I agree with the rest at least finish it off which he may have done after filming I only hope he went back

Wondered when I would find this here. From what I've read about snowmobiles and moose, all the state game depts. in those areas seem to say,stop, stay back and let it wander off,they have no fear of man,cars,heck they even charge busses.....http://newwest.net/snow_blog/article/moose_vs_snowmobile_videos_prompt_warnings_from_colorado_wildlife_officials/C458/L41/

If you move forward it takes that as a challenge ..... Had he shot when it first charged well ok .even though that was because he advanced.....but he did not learn his lesson and kept advancing. Moron.

But to keep moving forward he took the fight to the moose for some reason.

The big issue I see is he's a complete fool for posting,emailing, or I general passing the video on . NO possible good could ever come from that, I'll bet a weeks pay that video will lead to an investigation by his game dept. At the least. Somebody knows him,somebody will back trace the postings, maybe get a reg.number off the sled.

This story is going viral and It will be seen on nationwide news/ info entertainment shows very soon.

Edited by Larry302

Don't know much on moose & people confrontations and don't need to know too much to see that mr. snowmobiler was pushing his luck....I am going to bet the guy is not a hunter as he shows no respect for the moose before during or after the whole ordeal....and he posts the video to boot.....IMO ....total lack of respect for the animal...with all that said I would love to know the outcome with LE....technically the idiot did save his life from a charging moose that attacked....unless this guy was required to take some sort of course for interaction with the wild things....which I doubt....he will probably get off...unfortunately common sense is not prevalent in the justice system

All animals will use a trail when snow is deep, they aren't stupid. He had every chance to wait it out or turn around. You can see the moose looking at the deep snow before making his charge to take the trail. Guy left the moose kicking and didn't put it down. He has everything against him and should be prosecuted