Some Low-life

fasteddie

Some low-life has screwed around with my son's ladder stands and removed and took the braces that goes from the ladder to the tree . The person / persons have also put up posted signs with no name on it on property that isn't theirs . My son showed the property owner a map of the area and he confirmed that the stands are on his property where he gave my sons permission to hunt but did not place any posted signs out .

About a month ago the braces were removed and tossed on the ground . Whoever is doing the dirty deed doesn't have permission to hunt the property . I had made a suggestion to my son about placing a Black-Out camera facing the stand and put it high enough where it would be hard to reach and hidden but that never happened . He also had 2 ladder stands stolen last year

Whoever is messing with those stands seems to think they have a legitimate claim to that property.  Is there any chance the landowner granted permission to anyone else; or could there be confusion about boundaries?  Maybe you could speak to the neighbors and see if they know anything.

Either way, that sucks.  I've been there and know exactly how you feel.

just to play devils advocate. Not all land owners really know their property. Is it surveyed?

The stands are well within the land owner's boundaries and his field that gets farmed as well as the huge lot where equipment gets stored so there is no question as a property dispute . Someone is just being an a-hole .

Only a couple of Yote hunters have permission to hunt there and they have no reason to mess around as the father has used one of the stands to gun hunt from so it would be a disadvantage for either one to mess things up .

The longest we ever had our ladder stands out was less than 24 hours.

They were put up late in the day near sunset on private land and taken down when done the next day.

Just never know what a trespasser will do, and didn't want anyone to figure out our spots.

It is also damned dangerous. Eddie. One of our stands had the cross bracing straps cut last year and my buddy didn't notice until daylight while he was in the stand. could have just as easily been the ratchets that hold it to the trees as well. We always use a light to look at them now.

I went into my stand last night to hunt and someone tampered with my strap( I have never seen one just undo and become as loose as this one was) it was almost as if someone wanted me to fall out of the tree. I was pretty pissed and had to mess with it for a few minutes prior to hunting. I especially made a point to see if any of the straps were sliced.

I went into my stand last night to hunt and someone tampered with my strap( I have never seen one just undo and become as loose as this one was) it was almost as if someone wanted me to fall out of the tree. I was pretty pissed and had to mess with it for a few minutes prior to hunting. I especially made a point to see if any of the straps were sliced.

luckily it was an evening hunt. I a't tell you how many times, prior tour issue, that I climbed into a stand in the dark of the morning and never thought about checking them

• Like 2

The stand is about 400 yards south from the road by a corn field , 50 yards North of the neighboring fence line and the land owner owns both properties eat and west of the hedge row that the stand is located on . There are several directions where the culprit could approach .

My son suggested calling the cops but someone told him that if it became too much of a hassle for the land owner , he might lose his hunting rights . So now my sons are considering using climbers there .

I have to agree with Larry ~ exspecialy being your son I would set trail cams and knock on the neighbors doors ~ probably been some ones spot and their just being jerks. A friendly conversation even if the person doesn't admit to it will probably put a stop to it

• Like 1

The hunting community is no different than the general population . There are thieves amongst each group. The simplest and safest solution would be to use climbers They are young enough to transport into and out of the woods. Most of the time the trespassing is committed by town or village locals that have limites financial resources to secure their own hunting area. Its so much cheaper to trespass on someone elses land, especially if they are known not to hunt or rarely hunt the property. Example landowners that don't reside locally.

Never like ladder for the reason they are accessable to any one, a good hang on with a rail climbing system, or screw in steps. remove bottom section or sections and bottom 4-5 steps takes it  out of harms way in  tresspassed areas. after awhile the seem to give up  and move on.

• Like 2

Just not to respectful to the landowner, to use any type of screw into the tree steps. Better to treat the landowners land like your own or abide by the rules of public (state) land. Maintaining a good relatioship with the land owner will go a long way in insuring you have a place to hunt in the future.