A little Too Hot For Me

airedale

I am not as well prepared as our friend wolc for taking care of meat in this hot weather, supposed to be like this all week. I think I will just keep getting after the Squirrels for now. Hopefully by time muzzleloader season comes around it will be a bit cooler.

Al

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, airedale said:

I am not as well prepared as our friend wolc for taking care of meat in this hot weather, supposed to be like this all week. I think I will just keep getting after the Squirrels for now. Hopefully by time muzzleloader season comes around it will be a bit cooler.

Al

Way too hot. Plus I am after only one class of animal so I stay out of my areas until the time is best to strike. All the fields are still standing in corn and beans so the critters like to hand out in them. 

• Like 1

Too hot for hunting today but good day on the range to check the zero on my last unchecked deer weapon (Remlin 336BL).  I brought along my .22 also, because I might try and squeeze in a squirrel hunt next weekend.  No more deer hunting for me until NZ ML opens on October 14.  

Neither of those guns had any noticeable recoil, so I didn’t need the pin on recoil pad that I use with most of my other guns.  The skeeters were not bad back there in the earlier afternoon, but were starting to get worse when I finished up around 5:15pm.  I imagine that the bow hunters out till dusk were getting eaten alive.  
F76D5044-4B3F-41D4-914A-D0A806A356EB.thumb.jpeg.a157c1b84e350d0ea3b688957c459a7b.jpeg

C1C70EAA-8C1B-45D8-AB06-F625AF92EEB3.thumb.jpeg.aeed494a5c369f59023715c19e92d74e.jpeg

• Like 1

I was out yesterday, and between rain on Sunday and the humidity the trees I was sitting under were dripping on me like it was pouring rain. It was warm, but once my pants got soaked it didn't feel so warm. I bailed at around 8:30. My pack is still damp.

We had to help my FIL built a shed yesterday and it completely wrecked my back and knees, so this heat wave won't bother me much as I'm out of the running anyway.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Agreed. I have deer every morning and night at the spot I killed the doe opening morning but can't bring myself to go kill another doe when it's 85° out. Everything about the temp sucks for shooting one. I guess I'll just fish the rest of the week...

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Two years ago during northern tier ML,  i shot my deer at sundown in sixty degree weather, and burned rubber to get it to the processor before they closed....barely made it. Last year, temps were in the low forties and drizzly when I shot my buck. I didnt find it until sun up, but it was perfectly fine in those temps. I would be delighted to see a heavy frost and temps down in the low forties for the opener. 

• Like 2

An opening day quite a few years ago had really warm temperatures. I arrived at the parking area where I hunted about a half hour after daylight and met a young hunter who had already scored on a party permit small doe, we shot the breeze for a moment and I helped him put the deer into the trunk of his car. As it was so early he said he was going to get back into the woods and see if he could get a Buck.

To make a long story short at the end of the day I came out to my vehicle and noticed the fellow's car was still there. A few minutes later out of the woods he came and when he opened his car's door the rank stench that came out from inside would knock you over.  The temps that day must have got to near 80 plus degrees, the temps in the car probably exceeded 100 and basically cooked that Doe while it sat inside the trunk all day.

I ran into that kid a week or so later and he told me that the meat had pretty much spoiled and there was little of the deer that was salvaged. 

Al

I "hunted" one morning, briefly because I happened to be there. Mostly just to test out the stand itself, spot any trouble limbs I didn't see the day before. Said to myself, I'm not shooting a doe, I'm not shooting a young buck, I'll only shoot a nice buck (extremely unlikely) and only if he's facing the right way, to run towards the house and not away from it. :D

As it turned out I had sweated up the hill side so bad the day before setting it up, that the deer wouldn't go anywhere near it. Before I left I swapped cards again in the cams. That night a doe had come in and stopped dead. I could just see her raising her up up and down, back and forth smelling. She wouldn't go any farther.