anyone out there hunting or is it to cold to hunt

sweet old bill

I don't mind the cold per se but the wind. I went out yesterday morning and it was 20 degrees with 20 mph winds. I could only make it for two hours. You'd think for about a grand worth of clothing I could hunt in anything. Wind isn't as bad today so I'll be out this afternoon.

I too made it 2 hrs yesterday. Walking back to the cabin the cold really got to me and it took a while by the stove to recover. Be safe and don't push it.

Edited by First-light

Ya cold is one thing cold with wind,no thanks . I'm already calling off tomorrow afternoon ,first time I can hunt coming off nights. I'll go the our union meeting then beer and wings with the brothers .

Fri,sat afternoon look ok and all day Sunday , then most days next week if needed.

Went out yesterday and it was brutal. I didn't last long at all. Today I went out late morning to move a stand. Did a slow walk about. Real cold even while moving. Face and fingers were frozen by the time I got back to the truck, about 3 hrs later. Didn't see any deer but I bumped a nice flock of turkeys twice.  Im thinking of warm spring turkey hunting already….is that wrong ????

• Like 1

The cold is a pain. Especially due to I only bow hunt. If I had my truck back from the shop I would have been out this morning. Barely any wind, but cold. Always hard to keep you body warm. I shoot fingers, so no clove on my right hand. I made a moisture wicking mit I put in my pocket to help keep my shooting hand warm. But, sitting in extreme cold when bow hunting effects more then just my fingers. My body gets cold, and the muscles and joints don't like drawing my bow. It is what it is, and I would rather be out there roaming the area, the sitting on the couch watching hunting shows.

Just finished a 7 hour still hunt around the hill, and as far as I could tell, I was the only one out there. No boot tracks, no deer tracks to speak of. No shots in the whole valley. The wind and cold  will cut you down in nothing flat. It is desperation activity at it's finest. Yeah, if you happen to step on a deer you might get a look at them. Otherwise, its a mighty lonely, boring and absolutely torturesome activity. This stretch of weather will be coming to an end pretty soon, and maybe there will be some people out to move deer. But right now it looks like everybody is a whole lot smarter than me and are staying home.

Seriously contemplating going out later for the last 2 1/2 hours.

How has this weather helped you in the amount of deer movement?   

When is in the teens or single digit I normally stay shorter sessions (2 hours or so) and them move around for an hour (still hunting) then sit for an hour longer. When its windy I adjust accordingly. I kinda like the cold but it will beat you no matter what you do... :-)

After last weekend, I ordered a new pair of hunting boots. The 400gram boots are being retired, and I moved up to 800 gram Danners. If that doesn't work, I go to 1000, or call it quits.

My 800's were of no use the last few days even with thermacell insoles. Had to bust out the 1,000's.