Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

all they would have to do is implement mandatory Statewide AR's for the first two days of Regular gun season to make a big enough impact on the Buck age structure.

Not true... I'd get into why but it's a long answer... and in the scheme of things won't mean much to anyone anyways... nor would most even care... so I'll just say it doesn't work that way.

Not true... I'd get into why but it's a long answer... and in the scheme of things won't mean much to anyone anyways... nor would most even care... so I'll just say it doesn't work that way.

Long term No but short term it sure would save alot of lives. Alot of those little yearlings would not be seen again after the first weekend in some spots.

well, I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but if the majority of bucks are killed opening weekend, and you now remove the ability for people to kill the yearlings during that period, how could it not have some type of impact on yearling bucks surviving another year?.......and in the scheme of things, AR's mean nothing to me nor do I care, but don't want you to "burst my bubble" again...so don't get into it...again.

Edited by jjb4900

Long term No but short term it sure would save alot of lives. Alot of those little yearlings would not be seen again after the first weekend in some spots.

Good age structure can't be attained short term... it takes years and much more restrictive AR's to build a solid age structure with age representation past 3.5 years old... it would have no more affect than the current voluntary AR's have had on age structure in the last 5-10 years. If you're looking for good age representation of 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and so on it can't and won't happen with a weekend of "3 on a side" AR's each year.

• Like 1

The state is talking points.

There is zero reason to mandate one hunter not to shoot a 4 pt 1.5 so someone can shoot a 6 pt 1.5 or target most of the herd at 2.5.

Just because you have decided to target the human equivalent of a teen ager (2.5 buck) is not reason to try to save 40% of the 1.5 bucks in 7j/h by law.

Thought I saw it all. Now we are talking human equivalents. Good grief.

well, I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but if the majority of bucks are killed opening weekend, and you now remove the ability for people to kill the yearlings during that period, how could it not have some type of impact on yearling bucks surviving another year?.......and in the scheme of things, AR's mean nothing to me nor do I care, but don't want you to "burst my bubble" again...so don't get into it...again.

The majority of bucks are not killed opening weekend.

Rare. I will state though that a lot has to do with the shot and recovery. I'll eat every ounce don't get me wrong, I just feel I can tell the difference is all.

I believe it has more to do with the cook... my grandmother could make a boot taste great. Even the worst cuts of meat can be cooked to taste delicious. Yeah, if you're just throwing the meat in a frying pan you might see a difference. But if you're truly cooking the meat correctly, probably not.

• Like 2

Jeepers! We as a group must be bored . Now we are arguing over cooking venison properly and noticing the difference between a young deer and an older deer when eating it... I would think anyone who has eaten any amount of venison could usually tell the difference between a 5 1/2 year old dear steak and a 1 1/2 year old deer steak.....That being said,   I have never had bad venison.

Now lets get back to the subject at hand...     Ars and 1 buck rules suck!

• Like 2

Jeepers! We as a group must be bored . Now we are arguing over cooking venison properly and noticing the difference between a young deer and an older deer when eating it... I would think anyone who has eaten any amount of venison could usually tell the difference between a 5 1/2 year old dear steak and a 1 1/2 year old deer steak.....That being said,   I have never had bad venison.

I'd venture to guess many have never eaten the venison from a 5.5 year old deer.

I've never had bad venison either.......maybe a bit tough (back straps) but there are so many factors that could contribute to that you couldn't put your finger on any one thing.

If the poor taste and quality of an older buck is being used as justification to take a younger buck, then it would seem to be on topic. Aside from it being the choice of the hunter to take a 1.5 year old buck the rest is BS.  Which I am OK with by the way, but the excuses to justify it other than "I choose to" are BS.

I stand by my statement that the quality of the venison is not age dependent. it is meat care and cooking. Any of you guys shoot a big ole buck you don't want the venison from. Just give me a holler.

• Like 3

If the poor taste and quality of an older buck is being used as justification to take a younger buck, then it would seem to be on topic. Aside from it being the choice of the hunter to take a 1.5 year old buck the rest is BS.  Which I am OK with by the way, but the excuses to justify it other than "I choose to" are BS.

I stand by my statement that the quality of the venison is not age dependent. it is meat care and cooking. Any of you guys shoot a big ole buck you don't want the venison from. Just give me a holler.

haha, that's probably the most annoying statement that guys make after shooting something that they feel guilty about shooting or are embarrassed to have shot.......the last thing that ever enters my mind before I shoot a deer that I want to kill is what it may taste like. I'm pretty sure that any deer I take, that dies and is recovered quickly and is properly cared for is going to taste just fine regardless of age.

• Like 1

Are you just being cruel? Too good to be true. Too many entitled 'hunters' out there who like being able to shoot whatever they see for months straight. Not to mention the DEC treats deer like nuisance rats. 

Wouldn't mind seeing some control of the deer nuisance permitting process. Anecdotal evidence...Neighbor farmer has been getting several nuisance permits for his farm for years. Deer sightings have dropped off significantly the last several years. Still not comfortable with extra length of the bow season as it stands now. 

The For the purposes of opposing ARs because a younger say 1.5 year old buck tastes better I'll respond. I've processed my own and others since I was old enough to shoot one. Before that I helped family. I've talked to professional butchers that do deer and world class wild game chefs I've met at shows. They've all said difference is negligible between older 4.5+ yr old deer and yearlings. All other stuff has more of an impact on quality. Did it die quick or stress the night? Was it cooled soon and aged? Where on the deer was the shot? Was the cut on top or below when the deer was hung? Is it the right cut for what it's intended for? Did you cut it right? A minute left on heat could be the difference between the best thing you've ever had and the worst depending on cut and what you're making it into. Now compare a 1.5 with a 2.5 which is how much the ARs will probably effect things and you'd be full it crap. Just what I've found and heard for whatever that means to who reads it.

• Like 1

The only deer I have ever noticed a real difference in how tender or tough it is, is a fawn. Those backstraps are teder enough to cut with the side of your fork. Ive eaten young bucks, old ones, young does, old ones, middle age, from PA mountains, NY farms, midwest (Iowa) farms, and they all taste good and arent noticably "tougher" than each other when cooked properly. They all turn to shoe leather if you over cook them.

• Like 1

I will say I have noticed the taste difference in deer that are ag centered and those in big woods.

Not huge, but definitely noticeable.

That I can agree with 100%. "You are what you eat".  (I hope I can slide that by since Pygmy hasn't been around much...lol).

I can taste a difference in a diet of acorns, beechnuts, browse and such compared to clover corn and other AG crops.

• Like 1

The only deer I have ever noticed a real difference in how tender or tough it is, is a fawn. Those backstraps are teder enough to cut with the side of your fork. Ive eaten young bucks, old ones, young does, old ones, middle age, from PA mountains, NY farms, midwest (Iowa) farms, and they all taste good and arent noticably "tougher" than each other when cooked properly. They all turn to shoe leather if you over cook them.

i agree with this post. 

the little ones is where i really notice it, the rest is all on how its cooked and prepared. 

I don't think that a decision not to back AR really needs meat quality as a reason. For me the decision is formed by the potential impact to a sport of already faltering numbers. That's really what it all about. I don't really want to see another regulation added to the jillions already existing that doesn't have a good significant, scientific, biological, reason for being hung around the necks of hunters. With so many off-the-wall fad-management ideas trying to be forced down the throats of hunters, I worry that these notions of fixing things that really aren't even broke will have the effect of teaming up with other existing reasons for the struggle of hunting and accelerate the decline of activity.

• Like 1