Useless hunting laws

Borngeechee

We need real fines for poachers, undersized species, over the limit, no license..... The fines are just ridiculously non prohibitive. Make the shit sting.......loss of licenses, BIG fines...

year round coyote

missed these 2 on my list. But I still think NY likes the coyote. Helps lower their herds.

What bugs you about wearing your back tag...it shows you have a right to be there and if you do catch a trespassers...it gives you proof for the DEC to press charges. If they don't show you the tag..they can loose their privileges to hunt..keep the back tags.

wearing a backtag in noway proves you have a right to be on someones land. It is also not illegal to be in the woods without one. Secondly, most intelligent trespassers and poachers aren't wearing their tags anyhow. It's basically the safe act. punish the law abiders while not addressing the breakers.

• Like 1

Id like to see:

-backtags go away in the SZ

-year round coyote hunting

-sunrise and sunset rules go to 30 mins before and 30 mins after

-1 buck rule

-no more either sex tags

-all antlerless tags be for designated WMU

-crossbows in all of bow season

-allow baiting in high population zones

-minimum hunting age lowered or removed

• Like 4

Id like to see:

-backtags go away in the SZ

-year round coyote hunting

-sunrise and sunset rules go to 30 mins before and 30 mins after

-1 buck rule

-no more either sex tags

-all antlerless tags be for designated WMU

-crossbows in all of bow season

-allow baiting in high population zones

-minimum hunting age lowered or removed

that sounds pretty good......only thing I would add is baiting for bear for the early season, and maybe even a spring season. I would think that NY would like to get a handle on those creatures before they become a problem.

I agree that the no tolerance regulations against shooting lane trimming is a bit ridiculous. But such relaxation of this restriction has to be well thought out and crafted carefully. I don't think we want people going in with power equipment and clear cutting shooting lanes. Also, I believe there are some species that should not be messed with. So some good definition, and I believe that the regulations on this could be (should be) relaxed a bit.

while I too would like to be able to open some up, trying to come up regs as you said is like peeing into the wind.  it'd be very hard to do without screwing up.  I know first hand you can get around not clearing shooting lanes and other "paths".

that sounds pretty good......only thing I would add is baiting for bear for the early season, and maybe even a spring season. I would think that NY would like to get a handle on those creatures before they become a problem.

I dont keep up with the bear stuff too much at this point, but I know they are becoming alot more prevalent than they used to be. Have to agree that DEC needs to get ahead of that one. Dont want this to become New Jersey.

Get rid of back tags

Hunt 30 min before sunrise

Bait and hounds for bear

Crossbows in all areas and all of bow season

Legal to carry Handgun while bow hunting

Coyote hunting year round

Buckshot legal during January LI shotgun season

410 slugs legal for deer statewide

Earn a buck for bowhunters statewide

One buck per year period

One turkey during spring and fall until birds rebound

Remove back tags

Coyote hunting all year

Lower the minimum hunting age

Extra buck tags for every 3 doe killed on LI only good on LI.  Limit 2, 3rd if hunter shoots 10 more doe.  Talk about incentive!  Shoot 16 doe and you get 3 extra buck tags. 

Remove the first two weeks for bow season with NO BUCKS in Suffolk county! 

• Like 1

I'm at a loss to understand why crow hunting is only allowed on certain days of the week.

I've wondered about that one too.  I can never remember which days either.  Many times I've drawn down on a crow while squirrel hunting only to hesitate because I forgot what day it was. 

I believe it is Friday thru Monday...and it's ridiculous

Can't blame the DEC for that one..It is mandated by the International Migratory Bird act, that the season has to be limited to a certain number of days per year and cannot be held during the bird's nesting season...

By making the season open only four days per week,September through March, the state can stretch the season over a longer part of the calendar year...Many people can't hunt during the week, so the Friday through Monday gives more people a chance to hunt..

I think that in this case the state did a good job of maximizing hunting opportunites while staying within the legal boundaries of the Migratory Bird Act..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Probably the most endangered tree is the Eastern Slippery Dingleberry Tree...

The Eastern Slippery Dingleberry Tree was once the favorite, and exclusive nesting habitat to the now extinct Kazoonie-zoonie Bird...

The Kazoonie-zoonie bird is now extinct because of its strange social habit of flying in ever decreasing concentric circles until it flies up its own asshole...

Any questions..??..Anyone..?...Anyone..?..Beuhler ??

• Like 2

1. Statdwide antler restrictions at least 4 pt. on one side

2. No Back Tag

3. Crossbows legal during bow season.

4. Lower hunting age to 10 but can only hunt with a guardian until age of 14. (For hunting big Game)

5. (not sure if this is allowed yet) Bow Fishing

Edited by Cory

Can't blame the DEC for that one..It is mandated by the International Migratory Bird act, that the season has to be limited to a certain number of days per year and cannot be held during the bird's nesting season...

By making the season open only four days per week,September through March, the state can stretch the season over a longer part of the calendar year...Many people can't hunt during the week, so the Friday through Monday gives more people a chance to hunt..

I think that in this case the state did a good job of maximizing hunting opportunites while staying within the legal boundaries of the Migratory Bird Act..

Classifying crows as migratory birds and putting them in the same class as ducks and geese, seems to be a useless game law as well.

• Like 1

Classifying crows as migratory birds and putting them in the same class as ducks and geese, seems to be a useless game law as well.

They're not classified as the same class, they have different rules. One is migratory birds, the other are migratory waterfowl. If you can't wrap your head around why laws need to be put in place for migratory species, then you're not much of a conservationist at all.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I believe that every lawmaking  or regulation-making agency (DEC included) should designate a certain amount of their time and resources toward grabbing a handful of laws and regulations each year and re-certifying them as making sense, not being redundant with other similar laws, and re-evaluating whether they should exist or be stricken from the books. My gosh ... we are buried in laws, most of which few understand or even know about. I am convinced that we daily break laws without even knowing it. We are totally buried under laws that are poorly written, and hidden deep inside of volumes and volumes of law books that damn few, even in the legal profession, are familiar with. And then we are told that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

• Like 1

They're not classified as the same class, they have different rules. One is migratory birds, the other are migratory waterfowl. If you can't wrap your head around why laws need to be put in place for migratory species, then you're not much of a conservationist at all.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

What I can't tolerate is the obnoxious arrogance of pompous, self important prima donna's on this site that need to have something wrapped around their head.