LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Congrats!

I had a great hunt and didn't see a deer but I spooked something then had a flock of turkey launch off the ridge directly above me and roost in the trees I was under...haha another year of being in turkey roosts...had a head hoodie on and a cap over that and a full face net around that...got home to bugs crawlimg around my head...too big for ticks uhhggg!.

Excellent ending to my opening day. This morning was super windy and nothing happened. After work, I had some batteries to change in a camera , but brought my bow and decided on a mini sit before dinner. I never use scent drags, don't know why. My first bow buck came in on a scent trail I made using one for the first time. This evening I cobbled one together with an old rag and rope and poured some Bob Kirschners scent, the Roam lure and Silvertop, which I combined on the rag. 15 minutes after a short drag to my stand a little 5 point comes right in and walks directly under me. He never winded me and wandered about for a while. I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

I was thinking of heading in, when another set of horns comes poking through a dense stand of saplings. pretty much following the same route as the little 5. He wasn't the Big 10 I was after, that much was clear, so I was relaxed and not planning on trying a shot. He came up behind and once he rounded the bushes I could see it was the nice 8 point I had on camera rubbing off his velvet. He was actually pretty respectable. As I was taking in his points his head snapped right up and looked me in the eye. I squinted and remained immobile. He was a little wary but didn't run, but made a slow prancing retreat, down wind from me. He sniffed the air a few times. He knew something was up. I had brought the pee covered rag into the tree with me as cover scent. In hindsight, I should have tied it to a tree below at deer-nose level. It may have acted as a distraction and perhaps we could have avoided the stand off that followed.

In any case, as he was wandering off I wondered if I would see him again and perhaps regret not being more ready for a shot. This is the problem when you know a Big 10 is in the area. He is ruining my hunting!   ^_^

Seriously though... a really great opening day, and I shall be using scent drags quite a bit. Just call me the Drag Queen from here on out.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 3

Excellent ending to my opening day. This morning was super windy and nothing happened. After work, I had some batteries to change in a camera , but brought my bow and decided on a mini sit before dinner. I never use scent drags, don't know why. My first bow buck came in on a scent trail I made using one for the first time. This evening I cobbled one together with an old rag and rope and poured some Bob Kirschners scent, the Roam lure and Silvertop, which I combined on the rag. 15 minutes after a short drag to my stand a little 5 point comes right in and walks directly under me. He never winded me and wandered about for a while. I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

I was thinking of heading in, when another set of horns comes poking through a dense stand of saplings. pretty much following the same route as the little 5. He wasn't the Big 10 I was after, that much was clear, so I was relaxed and not planning on trying a shot. He came up behind and once he rounded the bushes I could see it was the nice 8 point I had on camera rubbing off his velvet. He was actually pretty respectable. As I was taking in his points his head snapped right up and looked me in the eye. I squinted and remained immobile. He was a little wary but didn't run, but made a slow prancing retreat, down wind from me. He sniffed the air a few times. He knew something was up. I had brought the pee covered rag into the tree with me as cover scent. In hindsight, I should have tied it to a tree below at deer-nose level. It may have acted as a distraction and perhaps we could have avoided the stand off that followed.

In any case, as he was wandering off I wondered if I would see him again and perhaps regret not being more ready for a shot. This is the problem when you know a Big 10 is in the area. He is ruining my hunting! ^_^

Seriously though... a really great opening day, and I shall be using scent drags quite a bit. Just call me the Drag Queen from here on out.

When you try it again next time end on a j shape around to the front of your stand so that it will lead you to hopefully have a nice Broadhead shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you try it again next time end on a j shape around to the front of your stand so that it will lead you to hopefully have a nice Broadhead shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did just this. I have a mock scrape in front of this stand which I was trying to lead the animals toward.For some reason the 8 went round back instead though. Maybe I could have freshened the rag as I got closer to the stand. The 5 point followed the script however.

Edited by Papist

First time out behind our new house. Didn't get in the tree till 610. Also first time taking my son out during bow. Within 20 mins had a doe a fawn and a small buck walk out on they're way to the soy beans. 10 mins later 3 doe straight ahead of us came out but caught some movement and trotted off. 20 mins later a nice buck and another deer came out in the same spot as the first three. Needless to say It was the best 1hr in a tree I can remember, especially sharing it with my son. I had to let him know it's not always like this, I'm used to sitting all day and seeing maybe 3 deer. Can't wait for tomorrow evening. Brining the climber back and setting up closer to where they were comin into the field edge.

post-6006-0-59834500-1443745165_thumb.jp

• Like 5

That's awesome, it's great to parents taking there kids out to the outdoors, it's something he'll always remember. I'm 20 now and I remember my first time in the stand with my dad, he shot his first buck with a bow! Great job though to all the hunters today with or without success, remember it all pays off sooner or later! Hunt on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nice job Moog!

I had 3 bucks come through tonight , after the button a very large bodied decent racked buck hanging out 15 yards behind me .

I don't really want to come back at all until Oct 16 th now.....

I may hunt one of my lesser stands in hopes of whacking a doe and not messing up the good stands.

• Like 1