DEC Timber Rattler Snake Den in Bath, NY - Video

Don't worry, Growie...They're all denned up now....Actually they hunt at night in warm weather and generally rest in cover during the day..

Most action around dens takes place in spring when they are emerging and fall when they are denning for the  winter.. They don't use the den on a daily basis during summer when they are most active, it's more of a refuge from the cold, like woodchucks hibernating for the winter.

• Like 1

One of those rattlers is a giant! We have timber rattle snakes in my area in Vermont. I have been hiking every year since I was 14 and never saw a rattle snake, lots of milk snakes and black snakes, but no rattlers. I would actually like to see one in the wild so I can safely take a picture. Hopefully I see him before he has a chance to strike. I always have it in the back of my mind to pay attention for them, but I have never gone looking for them. Just sounds too risky to me. Stay safe out in them woods.

Some of the attitudes about snakes mirror attitudes about coyotes. Grow up people.

Great video, thanks. I haven't seen a rattlesnake in NYS since about 1970. I don't live in the right place. Someone killed all the snakes around the Susquehanna.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Some of the attitudes about snakes mirror attitudes about coyotes. Grow up people.

Great video, thanks. I haven't seen a rattlesnake in NYS since about 1970. I don't live in the right place. Someone killed all the snakes around the Susquehanna.

If the world was suddenly completely devoid of all poisonous snakes, the world would be a much better place to live. They rank right up there with mosquitos and ticks.

• Like 3

If the world was suddenly completely devoid of all poisonous snakes, the world would be a much better place to live. They rank right up there with mosquitos and ticks.

If the world was suddenly devoid of people it would be a much better place. When was the last time you were bitten by a snake? By a mosquito? The attitudes don't reflect any reality when a genuine risk assessment is done. It is like the argument that coyotes are a danger to people. List the geninue dangers we face every day in NYS in order of risk and see where coyotes and snakes fall on that list.

Around 12 years ago myself and another member on this forum Steve7 were at the top of a mountain setting up stands and took a lunch break .We found 2 downed trees in a v formation and sat opposite each other and had lunch.As we finished lunch I happened to look straight down and observed a diamond pattern in the leaves next to both our legs. I stared at it for a moment and the shape of a coiled snake became apparent to me . I TOLD STEVE NOT TO MOVE AS THERE WAS A SNAKE BETWEEN US AND HE THOUGHT i WAS KIDDING [WHICH I DO ALOT ] Well he saw the look in my eyes and knew i was for real but could not see the snake which was still coiled up .I slowley put the barrel almost on the snakes head 20gauge and very,very slowly moved my feet out of the way,steve then did the same.The snake suddenly came alive and i shot it in the head almost cutting it in two .it was over 5ft and still gives me tha creeps thinking about it .P.S. I  gave up hunting there when i found out there was a reintroduction program in that area .

• Like 1

If the world was suddenly devoid of people it would be a much better place. When was the last time you were bitten by a snake? By a mosquito? The attitudes don't reflect any reality when a genuine risk assessment is done. It is like the argument that coyotes are a danger to people. List the geninue dangers we face every day in NYS in order of risk and see where coyotes and snakes fall on that list.

Fortunately, the rattlesnakes in my area have always been a target of extermination over the centuries, and so I will not likely ever be bitten by them here. I see that as a fortunate thing. In fact, I don't even want a "risk" of being bitten, or even that concern, and frankly I am not disappointed that that risk has been eliminated. And amazingly enough, the world has carried on quite nicely without them. I hope it stays that way. As far as the coyotes are concerned I have no serious issues with them ...... yet.