Single pin sights

ATbuckhunter

I just bought an HHA Lite  for my Elite Pure, its going to be a 3D only rig though . Most newer bows shoot flat enough that a single pin set for 25 yards would give you a good window to hunt out to 30 yards , you'll have to play around with height on a target first to see what kind of elevation changes you are working with over a 10-15 yard distance .

• Like 1

I think next year I might get a single pin set up.  It keeps your site picture clean and no extra pins to block the target when shooting past 30 yards.  Big issue when the sun is on your sight with 6 pins.  Plus as stated if you set it at 25 yards it is easy to compensate for any shot within 30 yards, more so with faster bows.

I think next year I might get a single pin set up.  It keeps your site picture clean and no extra pins to block the target when shooting past 30 yards.  Big issue when the sun is on your sight with 6 pins.  Plus as stated if you set it at 25 yards it is easy to compensate for any shot within 30 yards, more so with faster bows.

This is what I've been thinking. When ever I shoot at suffolk archers, my pins get a little blurry at some point. I'm either going to drop the pins to allow more of a sight picture or i'm getting a single pin. 

• Like 1

And that pretty much sums it up for me!  Everyone who shoots with these type of sights say the same thing.

I have the HHA Optimizer on my Hoyt and love it. Easy to use and allows you to focus more on the target.

I shoot a single pin hha and love it.i think a single verticle pin is the cleanest sight picture you can get.

I saw yesterday on Amazon a trophy ridge hybrid sight. It has two fixed, so you can fix them at 20, 30 if you want, then below the 30 you've got the single pin that can be varied to whatever you want. http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-3-Pin-Sight-Right/dp/B00OYDMQCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1447016413&sr=1-1&keywords=trophy+ridge+react+trio

Not cheap, though, and only two reviews, though they are good.

People rave about single pin, but I have to still assume that it could be one extra thing to fiddle with when something gets close and you don't have time to mess around (?).

You could also go with .010 size pins, which are very tiny indeed and just put two on the sight and be done with it.

Edited by Core

I saw yesterday on Amazon a trophy ridge hybrid sight. It has two fixed, so you can fix them at 20, 30 if you want, then below the 30 you've got the single pin that can be varied to whatever you want. http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-3-Pin-Sight-Right/dp/B00OYDMQCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1447016413&sr=1-1&keywords=trophy+ridge+react+trio

Not cheap, though, and only two reviews, though they are good.

People rave about single pin, but I have to still assume that it could be one extra thing to fiddle with when something gets close and you don't have time to mess around (?).

You could also go with .010 size pins, which are very tiny indeed and just put two on the sight and be done with it.

Just use 1 and keep your shots at 30 or less and problem solved. 1 pin takes alot of what can go wrong out of the picture!

For hunting applications where you know it will be basically 30 and under this how a friend does it and it works great.  If you practice shooting from 10 yards to 30 with it you will have no issues.  I think I might just loose a few pins as my shots will be under 40.  Keep my 25 and 35 pins and loose the rest below.  Can always put them back on for target later.  I like the HHA for target, takes the guess work out of in between shots.

Just use 1 and keep your shots at 30 or less and problem solved. 1 pin takes alot of what can go wrong out of the picture!

Well me being a little cheap and not wanting to get rid of a sight that's working fine, I think im going to take 2 pins off and make it a 3 pin sight or make it a 20,30,40,50 and 60 yard sight. I wont be shooting at 60 yards but it wouldn't hurt to practice that far. Right now its 20,25,30,35 and 40 yards which can make the pins blurry at times

Edited by ATbuckhunter

I've hunted with and shooting competitively with a single pin.  I've got the HHA sight with a dial yardage.  solely for hunting you could get away with using a fixed single pin.  biggest part about the HHA I like is the adjustable pin guard cover for the wrapped fiber optics.  you can adjust it as needed to reduce pin glare in any situation.  sounds like you've got a good plan though.  be gentle with the pin fibers though, don't want to crack one.

Basically my set-up. Even over 20 yards the single pin can start to obscure a deer's flanks.Can't imagine what you don't see with multiple pins. I notice most of the tv show bow hunters are single pins guys too.

Edited by Papist

I don't have the experience some of you guys do. I purchased a Bowtech Assassin 3 or 4 years ago to start hunting with. I got the RAK package and it ended up being a waste. I hated the sight. I wound up taking all but two pins out of it because I hated the 5 pins. About a week after that I purchased a single pin HHA and I shot much better after that. I would never go back to a multi pin site. The site is adjustable but I leave it @ 25 yds. Shooting @ 20 and 30 yds without moving the pin I am still well within the kill zone and I wouldn't shoot farther than 30 anyway. I got rid of the rest that came with it when I purchased the site as well and got the trophy ridge revolution....I don't know if that helped as well but my accuracy was much better with a single pin to focus on....

i went to single pin this year. CBE tek hybrid single pin. Site is awesome. for hunting purposes, i set it at 25yards. 25 and under-normal hold. 30 yards, aim for bottom of top 3rd of deer. 35 yards hold at their back, and anything over i range and adjust. Buck i shot last week came in at 24, was nice to be able to aquire target in site quickly rather there worrying about which pin. 

Personally, I like a sight that has some heft to it for a hunting bow,I used a bullet proof on my last bow and I put a Rush black gold on my Z28 , in a perfect world we wouldn't bang our bows around in the woods but I feel more comfortable with a good solid sight ,not those plastic crap ones they put on the ready to shoot bows. The Pure is getting the HHA Optimizer lite simply because I wanted a a good quality adjustable single pin.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been wanting to get the HHA optimizer for a year or 2 now, it seems ideal for 3d shooting, but im just to worried about the shots from the stand when your at full draw and the deer moves well away from the yardage your pin is set for, and not being able to let down... i guess you can practice "aiming high or low" but i do not like that idea... might try it this year..