LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

1 hour ago, growalot said:

A complete bust today...but counted chemicals...steep country hill road..a chemical every 10 mins for 3 stinking hours,on a Sunday afternoon....WTH!

There is no way the kindle or any device could be that bad at spell checking. You sure that thing has an English dictionary checker installed? LMAO!

• Like 1

What a day I ended up having. Only saw 2 deer never drew the bow back but had a great time.

During the evening sit with my daughter we where a few hundred yards south of a friend up in his stand. Around 4:15 he sends me a text that a little 4 pointer is headed our way. I relay the message to her and show her which way to be on the lookout. Let me tell you the next 45 min flew by and she never once complained about being bored again!

All day I was telling her that you could be having a bad day out in the woods but all it takes is 15 minutes to make it a good day as I told her some of my late day deer stories. As we are packing up getting ready to go in she tells me that it ended up being a good day!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Just shot my first deer with a bow, a buck. What an intense experience. The arrow was a complete pass through, blood smelled a little like a cow barn. I backed out and am giving it a few hours. Hopefully it died quickly.
1390b87a1e1354b75b92c05bcd4c50f3.jpgea4156c2b3b610402f06967f1ffc3b08.jpg

So I ended up waiting 6 hours to track my deer. The blood trail wasn't great, it was difficult to track at times. After about an hour of tracking I ended up bumping the deer. He ran up a steep hill, about 70 yards and out of sight. He looked pretty healthy still, so I decided to back out and give him more time. I went out first thing this morning and was able to recover him. Unfortunately, during the night the coyotes got to him a little bit on the hind leg. I made some mistakes that I'm pretty disappointed about, but I will definitely learn from this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 22

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161107%2F1390b87a1e1354b75b92c05bcd4c50f3.jpg&key=d67df281a6c7bb3fb0b3e1460062aabee474f19e076f44db2019c8ba066545faimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161107%2Fea4156c2b3b610402f06967f1ffc3b08.jpg&key=55f100220ad38550f9a53c1eb74a2bc1845ca2038d17950a486f18786bfcd9c9

So I ended up waiting 6 hours to track my deer. The blood trail wasn't great, it was difficult to track at times. After about an hour of tracking I ended up bumping the deer. He ran up a steep hill, about 70 yards and out of sight. He looked pretty healthy still, so I decided to back out and give him more time. I went out first thing this morning and was able to recover him. Unfortunately, during the night the coyotes got to him a little bit on the hind leg. I made some mistakes that I'm pretty disappointed about, but I will definitely learn from this.

Congrats! Mistakes happen, as long as you learn from them you're doing better than many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Well they found him.  I might have over estimated his size but great buck and memory for the young man. 

IMG_0234.JPG

True gentleman, I'm sure he will never forget this day or you !  It's disappointing to see deer not recovered, when land owners do not allow a fellow hunter recover there harvest.

• Like 1

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161107%2F1390b87a1e1354b75b92c05bcd4c50f3.jpg&key=d67df281a6c7bb3fb0b3e1460062aabee474f19e076f44db2019c8ba066545faimageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161107%2Fea4156c2b3b610402f06967f1ffc3b08.jpg&key=55f100220ad38550f9a53c1eb74a2bc1845ca2038d17950a486f18786bfcd9c9

Congrats...still a great job
..every hunt isn't perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got my first buck with the bow yesterday afternoon.

I had set up in a spot that had quite a few rubs and some scrapes a little ways off. Found a great tree for my climber,it had two smaller Beech trees next to it,which gave me excellent cover. I was set up 45 yds from a corner in a field. 

Only bad thing about my spot was the noise the dry beech leaves were making,rustling in the wind.

Saw nothing until 4.30,when I was standing up looking behind my tree,away from the field,since I figured the deer would be coming from there.

Then I heard,or maybe sensed something behind me and turned around ever so slowly and there was a deer only 25 yds away coming towards me. A lone buck,and he looked good size to me. My heart rate went way up,funny how that works,but there was some back and forth until I was able to bring the bow up and draw back,so heart rate went down. I shot when he was 16 yds out,never saw where my arrow hit.

He takes off and I listen to his track through the trees and then hear him crash and exhale for the last time.

I waited a few minutes in the tree,then started to pack up and climb down. I found my arrow,clean pass through with lots of bright blood on it. Followed the blood trail for practice and found him only 40 yds from where I hit him.

I hit him pretty high,not too far below the backstrap,but it worked out since I was close to 25 feet up the tree. Found a triangular hole in each lung,he expired fast.

Not a trophy,but I figured I had better not shoot an eight or ten pointer for my first with the bow,because where do you go from there? 

It was an awesome hunt,love it when things come together.

20161106_170305.jpg

20161106_170345.jpg

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I had set up in a spot that had quite a few rubs and some scrapes a little ways off. Found a great tree for my climber,it had two smaller Beech trees next to it,which gave me excellent cover. I was set up 45 yds from a corner in a field. 

Only bad thing about my spot was the noise the dry beech leaves were making,rustling in the wind.

Saw nothing until 4.30,when I was standing up looking behind my tree,away from the field,since I figured the deer would be coming from there.

Then I heard,or maybe sensed something behind me and turned around ever so slowly and there was a deer only 25 yds away coming towards me. A lone buck,and he looked good size to me. My heart rate went way up,funny how that works,but there was some back and forth until I was able to bring the bow up and draw back,so heart rate went down. I shot when he was 16 yds out,never saw where my arrow hit.

He takes off and I listen to his track through the trees and then hear him crash and exhale for the last time.

I waited a few minutes in the tree,then started to pack up and climb down. I found my arrow,clean pass through with lots of bright blood on it. Followed the blood trail for practice and found him only 40 yds from where I hit him.

I hit him pretty high,not too far below the backstrap,but it worked out since I was close to 25 feet up the tree. Found a triangular hole in each lung,he expired fast.

Not a trophy,but I figured I had better not shoot an eight or ten pointer for my first with the bow,because where do you go from there? 

20161106_170305.jpg

20161106_170345.jpg

Congrats on a great buck!

• Like 1

20161106_170305.jpg
20161106_170345.jpg

Congrats...great first deer with bow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1