Why I double ratchet ladder stands

Fantail

So last Saturday afternoon I'm in one of my ladder stands, bit of wind moving tree tops here & there. Ratchet strap making a light creaking noise. Looked it over a month prior, seemed taught, ok. Few minutes go by, now it's one of those things that'll drive you nuts trying to keep quiet & all, ok gotta deal with it. Waited until wind rustled some leaves for cover noise and go to tighten up a click. 

And 'poof' she goes. 

All my ladder stands have extensions I'm about 19' up. Most of us know what a pain setting up extended stands can be but that's another deal. 2nd ratchet saved the hunt. And yes I'm harnessed in. Goes to show an extra step for safety pays off.

Good hunting.

_144117.jpg

• Like 4

Glad your ok, how long was that stand up.for before you checked it a month ago.. straps break down in uv light and sjould.be taken down every year..1 year on a tree and they are at less than 25% of load they were recommended for holding..  take your stands down and inspect every year, at.minimum at least the straps

I climbed up into my ladder stand Saturday afternoon to find the bottom ratchet strap loose as hell and the stand was moving around quite a bit. Idk how this happened as I was just at this stand like 5 days ago putting bow hangers in. I don't think anyone messed with it, because they would of most likely stole the trail cam that's 10 yards away from the stand. But the strap was REALLY loose. So it makes me wonder if someone did mess with it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AND... Do yourself a favor and throw or give away those meager 5-600# ratchet straps that are included with all ladder stands. Upgrade to 2ea-1000# straps to secure the platform, sure it's an added expense, but you won't regret it. They cinch the platform to the tree SO much better than cheapo straps!!! I also use an upgraded strap around the horiz brace too. Don't always, but have drilled & pinned/bolted those braces in the past. Not a big deal, just a battery powered drill, drill bit, couple wrenches and a 1/4"-20 bolt, washers & nut. Those tightening knobs don't allow much torquing to cinch the sliding bars together.

Brought up all this in the past, but a couple other suggestions to really make those "cheapo" ladder stands more secure; Something under the base of the vertical ladder sections, either rocks or PT wood to prevent the stand from sinking in the mud or moving around. FYI - Metal scraping on stone on a windy day does make some noise at times. So I splurge and use pieces of 2"x10/12" PT lumber cut off at 24" long. They'll out-live the stands and as the stand grow up vertically with the tree, just prop a couple flat rocks under the planks. Lastly, those pins supplied with new stands that (supposedly?) secure ladder sections together are a real PITA, noisy & allows movement. Use bolts instead!!

Little ashamed to admit this, but it's a sort of testimonial to upgrading the straps. Put up a ladder stand in an ideal travel route area, but in less than ideal terrain - wet/boggy ground. Fast forward - come back the following spring to see the tree had tipped over, but the stand never come loose, even the horiz brace was entact! I'm an idiot and insisted on putting the stand back in same general area. Same scenario the following spring - 2nd tree had also tipped over and stand still securely lashed to the tree and undamaged. Lesson finally learned, NO more stands in that area! Duh...!

I have a set of 20' steps to go up run up back side of tree stands if need be for inspections - repairs. Well, it's actually for the other hang on but works good for those days. Wood under them all and in my area there's usually some flat slate around to help level off under. 

Working on a new spot for next year, it'll be another extended ladder stand. Considering two. One for the new spot and another to replace the oldest stand. Then I might, maybe, hopefully, would like to have the time, .. to replace all the hardware sort of rebuild it.

Another thing to remember if you leave your stands out all year is to go to each stand and loosen the straps after the season is over. The tree trunk grows in girth, so it stretches the strap over the year. I leave all of mine loose after the season and tighten them at the end of summer when Im trimming lanes. I swap them out every other year or if they show any wear. I always have 2 straps per stand, minimum. Im actually thinking of moving over to chains instead of straps so I dont have to replace them or worry about it.

• Like 1

Very happy you came away unhurt Fantail! Don't hunt much from trees anymore but we do have some ladder stands scattered around the property. Couple weeks ago we moved a ladder stand closer to where we have been seeing a decent buck. Took off the old straps, we always use two, and put these on. Don't think I'll be using it but my buddy will. Always think safety everyone! 

20161006_182656.jpg