Superstitions

92onCaliHollow

Anyone have any weird superstitions they abide by during season? You know, like a lucky shirt or pair if socks? Maybe u have to eat a certain breakfast before going out?

I never thought I did until this past week. I had seen only 4 deer up until this past Tuesday morning. And 3 of this deer were just flags. I had always worn this old beat up Team Real tree hat in the woods that Mom bought for Xmas years ago, despite being a mossy oak guy, since it was the only one I liked the way it fit. Well when getting all the clothes washed and sorting out the totes, I couldn't find that hat for the life of me. Paid no attention to it and just said oh well and grabbed a different one and washed and wore the "new" one. When leaving camp and cleaning up the bedroom my wife moved something and said, "hey is this that hat u were looking for?" So I told her yes and TY and kinda just blew it off. 

Got back down to the camp this past Sunday. Soaked the hat down in scent killer and let it dry overnight. Went out Monday and had the best morning ever in the stand, which I posted about on here somewhere and then Tuesday, seen 8 different deer by 830a when I had to go in to go back home.

Knew that darn hat had something to with it.... LOL

• Like 2

I won't cut my hair untill I get a deer. I have a green turtle neck with a shamrock embroidered  on the neck...it gets washed a lot during season. I  talk to "God" explain the time and effort I put forth and ask just for a chance at a good kill shot. As time goes by,the deer in that scenario keep getting  smaller. They go from big doe and descent 8pt. To young doe  and small 8....

6 minutes ago, Northsox65 said:

I take Double chocolate Chip Chocolate muffins on my morning hunts, It might be a form of Baiting, however usually around 9am when I get one of these out with my steaming hot coffee I see deer. Have done this for many tears and it seams to work.

So where do you place your coffee cup when deer come in?  I haven't really figured out a good spot yet.

I don't eat very much candy or sweets, but during deer season, I always stock up on Reese's peanut butter cups from the Halloween candy sales (best chocolate ever). Always throw a few in my pack along with other goodies depending on how long I'm hunting. I'll never eat the last one until I get back to re-stock.

Sometimes it's really tempting, but I've shot a couple of deer while eating them so I figure it must be connected, right? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So where do you place your coffee cup when deer come in?  I haven't really figured out a good spot yet.

Last year I shot a buck day before thanksgiving, dressed it out, dragged it below stand.  Poured first cup of coffee, two sips in and doe standing in front of me. Stood up , put coffee on seat of stand . Shot doe , watched her pile up and continued drinking my coffee. 

Ive also shot one with half an egg salad sammich stuck in my face. 

Now that I think of it for superstitions : I had just post a picture of one of my dad's old hunting tags on here. I hadn't even put it away yet in my back tag holder and buck showed up. So actually I do have a good luck charm 

IMG_1380.JPG

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I hunt out of a 2 seater tree stand, If I am alone I have plenty of room, If my sons with me, It all depends on what side of the stand we see the deer on and the other person has to hold the coffee, I am going to invent a coffee cup holder this year to attach to my safety rail, it will also act as a gun rest.

12 minutes ago, Northsox65 said:

I hunt out of a 2 seater tree stand, If I am alone I have plenty of room, If my sons with me, It all depends on what side of the stand we see the deer on and the other person has to hold the coffee, I am going to invent a coffee cup holder this year to attach to my safety rail, it will also act as a gun rest.

Go to pharmacy ND get a cup holder that clamps on to a walker. they workpretty good

17 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Does knowing for sure that if I go to stand A all the deer will be at stand B...and if I choose B I am positive they are all standing around stand A count as being superstitious.

My season, so far to a tee! I'm all in on this one!

When I first started hunting as a young teenager I really didn't have much money to go out and buy all new hunting clothes so most of what I wore was hand me downs from my Uncle and Friends. 20 years later I still wear a lot of those clothes by choice and by fear that if I change things up my luck will change in the field! I have upgraded a lot of the important gear to help me stay warm but I still wear the same old pants, turtle neck and long sleeve shirts.... Just in case 

I'm a knife guy , my day to day knives tend to be one hand opening , carbon fiber, titanium , G10 with high end knife steels .

During hunting season I start to carry a  jig boned Case Trapper, gives me a connection to the woods, at work, home where ever I may be, not sure if that's a superstition or tradition but it's what I do.

I've taken the same stainless camp mug on every hunting and fishing trip I have ever done. Always have taken a priority species and have cooked countless meals in that thing all over. Goes in the carry on if flying as I don't trust it in checked luggage out of my possession.

It doesn't work at all for deer.:rolleyes:

Other than my lucky condom, which is ALWAYS with me, my only superstition involves turkey season..

I always go in the woods turkey hunting with 7 shells...Not 6.....not 8....SEVEN..

If I fire a shell, I always make sure I add a replacement shell to my vest before I go out again.

I started  years ago carrying 7 shells  so that I could empty my 3 shot autoloader ( a Win M59 at the time)  TWICE and have one shell left.

After carrying seven shells for a few years, I realized that I had never needed more than 3 shells while turkey hunting, so I carried 4 shells opening morning of season.

I called in a longbeard  off the roost to 25 yards, shot right over his head with my first shot, and then dumped the other two at him as he was leaving and never turned a feather.

I  slunk back to my truck and heard a bird gobble across the road, so I went after him..I set up and called and he CHARGED in  and was on top of me in seconds..He spotted me and was doing a 180 at full speed about ten yards away..I fired my remaining shell at his head and missed him clean, then sat with an empty gun and watched him run straight away through open woods with his head high and his necked stretched...

Since then I have always carried SEVEN shells...

When I really get into the season I must have triple decker honey ham, honey turkey and cheese sandwich with chips and soda!  Something often happens when I am eating lunch, must be the honey mustard they like! 

Otherwise my only other superstition is my 44 Mag.  It has always worked when I needed it and for some reason my other guns have not!  Usually due to user error but keep that hush hush!