Your scent control regiment

StevieSacs

Hey Guys,

I'm sure there is a post like this somewhere, but figured i'd start a new one.   I was wondering what everyone scent control regiment was for storing their clothes,  airing em out..ect

I typically wash all my gear and put em in a plastic sealable container with one of those earth dryer sheets.  I hang my outter layers outside the night before I hunt and wash my base layers every 2-3 sits (Depending if I'm sweating like a pig walking in)  Always take a shower with scent free soap before I head in.  I'm sure some people have some other things they add that I could include in my process... or maybe some people don't go as hard.  Just trying to see how you guys manage your gear/scent

Thanks!

Stevie Sacs

I leave them on my quad in garage but also wear them trapping so the end up having a slightly skunk smell. I also put them on in the morning get gas then smoke in the stand. I'm not a gimmicks guy and don't believe in scent control as it was never a issue till modern times. I play the wind use cover scents and put scent out at ground level. Never been busted in a tree...that I know of....ground level entire new lvl of difficulty I give ground bow hunters alot of credit

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a buddy that swears on the skunk cover scent and he literally puts it on HEAVY.  I didn't know if it would actually spook the deer or not, since it they spray when they feel threatened/spooked.  

I've had a few bucks come down wind of me this season and they have been spooky as hell / will walk around since they know something is up.   Obviously not much you can do when wind starts swirling.  But i'm looking to step my game up a bit.

46 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I do the same as you. I like the giant ziploc bags for my clothes. I think all the sprays are BS so I stopped using them

Clothes are washed in Ivory soap, air dried, and put in a plastic tote. My 'scent' free soap is also Ivory soap. Other then that, I don't use anything else. No cover scent's anymore, no funky charcoal clothing.............. Just Ivory soap in a 3-pak from the Dollar General. Between myself and my clothes, I get about 30-50 washing for $4.

• Like 1

Clothes washed with no scent soap.  Then 5-10 minutes in my scent crusher gear bag before every hunt.  I was skeptical of the ozone stuff before this year.  I love it though.  I have had multiple deer directly down wind and none have scented me.  

I'm nuts.... Scent free everything. Love scent blocker and scentlok, washed when needed in dead down wind. Field spray is ddw also. I like it because it's advertised to protect against more than human odors. Also,i run an ozonics in the field. And I can tell you, I'm a believer. I leave it at that. U can fall for alot of hypes (guilty) But the ozonics to me has been the only way to actually fool the deer nose, down wind or not.

I keep my camo in garbage bags. Same with my pack so it doesn't pick up ambient scent from my truck (food, gas, beer, etc.) Throw acorns, hemlock, oak leaves, whatever in the bags...even milkweed pods to test the wind. Anything natural. I am not sold on de-scent products, but no sense insulting a deer's intelligence.

I wash everything in All Free & Clear scent free laundry detergent year round, no scent in my drier.  Then store my cloths in a air tight container.

I spray down all my gear with scent killer odorless formual as well. Then I like to hang my gear outdoors here in the country air.

Day prior to hunt, I keep to bland foods to keep my stomach settled. Day of hunt I brush my teeth with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I shower in scent free anti bacterial soap, and use scent killer anti antiperspirant.

I dress outside in my garage, which has no gasoline or other such odor items stored in it.  Also, what I bring in the woods is considered, like foods. I'll bring apples, nuts and water.....kind of like baiting really.

Honestly, I do all that and more, but the deer will still wind me. I just try to keep my odor to a minimum and have confidence that the deer will have a harder time picking up my scent and when I'm walking to and from my stand, I'm leaving as little human scent as possible, which will help keep my presence to a minimum.

I shower in the AM with scent free stuff , but sometimes the night before to save time.

I wash my clothes in scent free stuff and  some gets hung  in the basement much gets tossed in the dryer with normal clothes ,That's it .

No spray downs , no scent killer clothes. When I killed my buck this bow season I was wearing a blue baseball hat from my FD that  I wear most days and for sure sweated in many time s. He was UPWIND of me which is why with a north wind I was in that stand .

my base layer was a pair of blue jeans I ve worn a few days and a t shirt from the drawer , so none of my base layers get any special treatment .

I'm OCD on scent control..... Don't buy into the carbon clothing, proven fact the material can't be recharged, temp required to get odor released from Carbon atoms would destroy the material... My routine is shower before heading out with scent eliminating soap, first layer on is a silvermax based clothing... Silver ions proven to destroy bacteria that causes odor... Spray scent elim. spray every layer... All clothing is put into an Ozone closet I made... Ozone is a proven odor killer, and will stay in the clothing for a time killing any scent found... final thing is scent elim. spray all out clothing, back pack etc... 

On the ground hunt with the wind in my face so my scent is blown away from the deer. When still hunting I prefer a crosswind as deer usually use their sight to watch downwind relying on scent to warn them of approach from behind. When stand hunting on my property, I select whichever stand provides the best wind direction.

I do use rubber bottom boots though.

Everything in the house is scent free for months before season...That said...what not to do...have spray estrus and stick it in your pocket...loose the cap and blend over getting into the blind . Then wondering as you are ,what the heck is that noise! Nothing like a pocket full of doe urine in a small enclosed space...hhmmm wonderful!...lol:mda::girlumbrage:

• Like 1

Wash clothes week prior to season, spray with permithrin and allow to try and then put in tubs. Opening morning, remove from tubs and wear everything but outer coat on drive to location. Spray down with scent killer, Ever calm on rubber boots and nearby tree .Traditionally my stand and our blind is ok with most winds Will continue to wear clothes thru out the season without washing them again. Even after dressing out a deer or two, sweating , eating a slice of pizza from a gas station on the way home etc. Might I see more deer if I go all scent free crazy, maybe. I shoot deer and will continue to do it this way.

This is gun hunting but with getting a bow for next year I'm sure i'll treat things a little differently

Wash all clothes in plain water, place clothes in a locking tote with a couple pine branches. I take a shower before each hunt with just water, no soaps what so ever, not even scent free soaps. When i get to stand i spray everything down with scent killer earthy/dirt smelling cover scent. I never play the wind as deer come from every direction on all my stands and wind direction can change on the dime on my mountain.

i gave up on the gimmicks a long time ago they all suck! and cost you $  double suck!!!

i use sent free body soap and smoke my gear.  all my neighbors are wood burners i can smell it when im in the woods 

other things i do i always snap off a fresh twig from the eastern white pine tree in my yard and put it in my pocket . when i get in my stand i snap it into pieces releasing that fresh pine sent much like the rubs on the pine trees near me.

i almost always find fresh deer pellets omw to the stand i step on them and rub them into my boots side and bottom.   

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/big-game-hunting/why-deer-hunters-should-take-smoke-baths/

my mature deer sighting and harvest are consistent in very high pressured area.  and i can only attribute that to tossing all gimmick sent drip/drag/spray crap right in the garbage.. 

and the best sent tip of all time - hunt low pressure urban areas where there is a high number of does and mature bucks during the rut ..  they could care less what you are wearing or what it smells like. :) 

• Like 1