How many bullets do you bring in the field when you hunt

Deerstalker

Usually 10. (with the shotgun or rifle)  I load the gun up with4 or  5 and have a another 5 in my pack. or on the ammo sling on the stock. I don't care how good you think you are…. things can happen or a hunting buddy  can an extra round or 5………..

48 minutes ago, ants said:

Usually 10. (with the shotgun or rifle)  I load the gun up with4 or  5 and have a another 5 in my pack. or on the ammo sling on the stock. I don't care how good you think you are…. things can happen or a hunting buddy  can an extra round or 5………..

When i first started hunting i use to carry a dozen but after over  20 years  of hunting never needed them  so i only bring  5 or 6  maybe 7 the most   just exstra weight  keep more in the trunk  worst case scenario i just walk out to get them .

So far never needed to 180 and 220 grain   30-06 bullets  and 3in  mag slugs does its job well for me over the years . 

Maybe i would rethink that if i was using something with less power or i had a bad experince but so far knock on wood never needed to put more then  2  holes in a deer .   

3. Use a muzzleloader, quick repetitive shots aren't happening .  Don't shoot at moving deer( don't want adrenaline pumping through the deer muscles when I shoot the deer).   Because of time necessary for second shot,  virtually important to make the first shot count (kill shot).  Before tracking after original shot, reload tube of powder and sabot and replace primer.  In case I need to put a finishing shot into the animal.  Restricting my shot scenarios has increased my effectiveness.   Also get better tasting venison.  Plus it lessens my chance of mistakenly having anyone in line of fire.  While I give up opportunities at taking deer on the run, I will never have to live the consequences of firing a swinging barrel without verification of the backdrop.  Plus there is a plus to having a scope on you muzzleloader in an open field situation,  ( extends your kill range).

Years ago I invited a fellow worker ( 10 yrs younger) to hunt my family land.  Fortunately, met his dad over cocktails. Orior to opening day, and in the story telling learned that took 4 boxes of slugs to hunting camp for long weekend,  and went through all five boxes.  Needless to say, the next working day had to rescind the invitation,

• Like 1

I also carry 3 with the ML (one loaded and two speedloaders in jacket pocket), but I only use that when shotgun or rifle are not legal.  I also reload the ML prior to tracking the deer and only one time, out of about a dozen killed with it, did I use the second shot.  One time a doe that was hit thru the lungs started to get back up when I caught up with her so I gave her the second shot in the neck.   My bolt-action shotgun shoots just as accurate as my ML, plus it gives me (2) extra shots and more than double the energy at 150 yards.   With that and my rifle, I nearly always carry 10.  

It has been a long time since I have shot at a deer moving any faster than a slow walk.  I still remember the last time, maybe 15 years ago.   A 10 point buck presented a standing, broadside shot at about 75 yards.   I calmly centered the crosshairs behind his shoulder and fired a 12 ga sabot slug, from a solid rest.   He bolted over a ditch and into the woods on the other side.  I tried to follow him thru the woods with the scope, looking for an opening.  When he reached one, about 50 yards away,  I pulled ahead a bit for a lead, and fired.  He folded up dead and skidded into a stump, just like a pheasant hit with a full pattern.  As it turned out, it was a pure coincidence that he died immediately after that running shot.   It never touched him, but it was timed just as he ran out of steam from damage suffered by the first shot (thru both lungs).  I am not sure where that second shot struck, but I know it was safe because it was fired at a steep down angle, towards the ground.   That is one big advantage in hunting from a treestand over level ground, you always have a good backstop.           

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I carry anywhere from 4 to 10. 4 with ML one in and 3 speedloaders. Rifle/shotgun 5 in the gun and usually 2-3 in pockets.

Say I shoot a yote, then a buck then a doe then another doe.......i have like 7-9 tags in my pocket, a bear tag......

Lots of things can happen I agree and you could have some great luck shooting 2 deer and a few yotes.

The butt stock holder I had on my rifle was old. I left bullets in it year round in the case one year. Went out hunting and shot an 8pt 2 years ago. Drug him off the mountain and went to reload from the butt stock holder and it was empty. Yup, lost all 9 backups on the drag as the elastic was stretched to the max. Good thing I was at the cabin to stock back up otherwise I would only have had two rounds left. Took two shots that year. Stuff happens so be prepared. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncountry said:

ML or my rifle I usually carry 3 .. enough for a couple deer and 1 just in case . .. I think if many hunters at least used the mindset of only having 1 shot there would be a lot less wounded deer....

For the muzzle loader I carry 3 speed loaders.  

Thanksgiving morning I was sitting on a dirt pile in the woods, and was able to shoot 1 doe @ 40 yards , slowly reload, shoot another doe at 45 yards, slowly reload and watch a third doe only to  pass up a 30 yard shot.  All while wearing a solid blaze orange jacket with no camouflage or blind to break up my silhouette.

Agree with ncountry - it's all about the mindset of the hunter.

• Like 1

Five in the rifle. 9 in the butt shock shell holder and a box of 20 in my backpack. I've been caught a long way from the truck on a very long track of a wounded deer that a buddy shot and ran out when I only had 10 with me. Won't happen again. 

When shotgun hunting there is 5 in the gun, 5 in my pocket and 15 in the backpack.

ML There is 1 in the gun, 4 speed loaders and enough powder primers and bullets for refill 10 more. 

I used to carry to much. The past few years, 3 in the Howa, 3 in the pocket. Not sure why, I will not shoot at a running deer. Then the g/f made me think about something, last Saturday she took two .25-06 bullets from the box. I asked if she wanted more, her reply was this. "NO! If I don't kill the deer on the first shot I am not going to go blasting away in the woods trying to get it with a second while it's running!". I am teaching my padawan well! 1 shot, 1 kill!

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

After using 4 on a coyote , missed on the easiest shot , needed 3 on a dead run ...... I bring a few extra .270's maybe 10 now .

oh and 9 in the 9MM . 

Back when we hunted with shotguns and drove deer most of the day, I'd be embarrassed to say .

Now that I just sit and use a rifle , I've never needed  move than one , but I don't mind the extra 9 , I guess the old days linger on .....

• Like 1

I usually keep the butt stock sleeve loaded with 5 when I leave the truck; 3 go in the magazine, one up the spout and one still in the sleeve.  Three to 5 loose shells in my pockets round out the stockpile. 

The reason I only keep one in the sleeve while loaded up is because I've been known to shoot my lefty bolt guns right handed in a pinch.  

What's a "pinch" you ask?  Well that would be the occasional time when a deer shows up in the wrong place and the best rest I have is via a right handed hold.  The only problem is that the ammo sleeve is right on my cheek and I guess could play havoc with my teeth in a worst case scenario.......I know it's a stretch but if there are 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the sleeve it could be more of a problem than just one set near the rear of the sleeve.  

Note ammo sleeve in the first pic.......only one cartridge because the chamber and spout are still loaded after following up after the shot.

IMG_5417_zpsd416cmrg.jpg

In this picture you can see the ammo sleeve has more cartridges and the bolt is open and back, cause it's unloaded.

IMG_0709_zpsvfb9ppv3.jpg

My pants and coat pocket had a 3-4 shells in them, in case (as seen above) I peeled my jacket off to follow up a wounded deer. 

8-9 is hopefully enough to close the deal on a wounded one.......been many years since I've had THAT rodeo.  Last I remember was probably 30 years ago while toting the smoothbore Remington 870.  Thankfully it was a moonlit night with a 6" of snow on the ground.......damn near started the woods on fire with all the fire coming out of my barrel that night.:rofl:

2 in mag 1 in the pipe. Use to carry 5 in the gun and 5 in pocket. Never used more then 4 all season and always seemed to lose one from pocket so stopped that. I always have extras in truck so if I shoot I can replace what I have used. I never plan on missing IF I do I have two for back. I think when some guys carry lots of rounds they end up giving themselves permission to light up the wood. Why aim when they have plenty as back up.

• Like 1

It has been more than 10 years since I used more than three on a hunt, and most of the multiples over that time have killed two deer.   I am carrying 9 this weekend, not my usual 10, because I only have 1 DMP left for home, and I don't want to open another box.  I used 2 for my opening day doe, spine on the first shot, and a head shot to finish her.  I did throw an old, leftover, off-brand sabot into my pack so I don't have to waste one of them $3 ones if another "finisher" is needed.

Edited by wolc123
typo

one in the tube and three speedloaders in my camo jacket.. I have been able to shoot a doe and get a second shot at a deer that had not made up her mind to run or stay. she stayed right there . so just in case i need a finish shot i carry four

Depending on where you are hunting, there may come a time when you may be dependent on using your rifle for signaling. We don't go out expecting to get lost or hurt, in areas without accessible phone towers, but sometimes things don't go per plan. So, those people who seem to be packing more ammo than necessary might just be glad they have it some day.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Depending on where you are hunting, there may come a time when you may be dependent on using your rifle for signaling. We don't go out expecting to get lost or hurt, in areas without accessible phone towers, but sometimes things don't go per plan. So, those people who seem to be packing more ammo than necessary might just be glad they have it some day.

Very good point Doc. But, that's also why you should learn to use a compass and carry a map in "big woods".