How many bullets do you bring in the field when you hunt

Deerstalker

This morning I took 3. That would represent base case scenario of taking two deer in one outing with a spare bullet in case something goes wrong. I have heard of guys running out of ammo while hunting and I am thinking they need to spend more time at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Core said:

This morning I took 3. That would represent base case scenario of taking two deer in one outing with a spare bullet in case something goes wrong. I have heard of guys running out of ammo while hunting and I am thinking they need to spend more time at the range.

Seriously better re think your only 3. Go read buckmaster7600's post in Big woods thread about the 5 well placed shots the deer simply absorbed. 

I see your pocket full and raise you another pocket full. I think I had 6 or so in 2 pockets for 12  and 5 slugs in the gun   

Well i never counted. Ended up working a 14hr shift yesturday, at 5 this morning i was looking for my stuff. Found my coveralls, shook them, found I left some 44mags in the pocket from last year, grabbed the carbine and out the door. Yep thats how I choose which gun to take too! lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

From someone who has been there and done it there isn't a worse feeling in the world that seeing a deer that you have shot staring at you when you have an empty gun.

• Like 3

One day many years ago on a long tracking job for a wounded ( not by me) doe, I  started with 10 slugs for my 20 gauge 1100... When the dust settled I had shot 9 and dropped one in the snow...  The deer was down but needed finishing and I kept it covered with my .22 revolver until my buddy got there to finish it with his shotgun...

I still usually carry 10 because that is what my cordura ammo wallet holds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

From someone who has been there and done it there isn't a worse feeling in the world that seeing a deer that you have shot staring at you when you have an empty gun.

^^^ attach bayonet & finish 'em off! So who do you think has the more pathetic look in their eyes, you or the deer. Deer is probably thinking - Dude, what have you done to me, just end it! Or you wondering why you didn't bring another box of ammo? Just kidding, been there & done every possible stupid thing myself! Worst case scenario is a downed deer with a spine shot from an arrow. Not promoting hand to hand combat with a dying deer, but I have stepped on a doe's head and finished it off with a knife just to put it out of its' misery. This is when you wish you were allowed to carry your 9mm.

• Like 1

^^^ attach bayonet & finish 'em off! So who do you think has the more pathetic look in their eyes, you or the deer. Deer is probably thinking - Dude, what have you done to me, just end it! Or you wondering why you didn't bring another box of ammo? Just kidding, been there & done every possible stupid thing myself! Worst case scenario is a downed deer with a spine shot from an arrow. Not promoting hand to hand combat with a dying deer, but I have stepped on a doe's head and finished it off with a knife just to put it out of its' misery. This is when you wish you were allowed to carry your 9mm.

I've had to finish off a few deer with my knife. Doing it to does isn't a big deal. But doing it to bucks is a whole other ball game. Those tines are like daggers. So your pretty much in a knife fight with him. Had one in Kansas once I had to put down even after the guy shot him 4 freakin times with the bow! That poor buck looked like a pin cushion! Finally I had enough of watching this buck get shot and jumped on his back and grabbed his tines so they wouldn't stab me. Luckily he had lost most of his energy by then and only gave me one good lunge but I was able to pin him down and get his throat slit.

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I can imagine. Maybe things are different with the monsters you shoot at. The last deer I saw was, I estimate, about 35 lbs. No joke (last night). Not a shooter :D

Okay I think I will bring more ammo from now on.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

I was wishing I had a cheaper slug with me yesterday to finish off the doe I spined in the afternoon.  It was hard to watch her surfer, so I gave her a second $3.00 sabot to the head.  At home, in a shotgun only zone, I am going to start carrying a few old sabots leftover from when I was trying different brands to see what worked best in my gun.  None of them grouped as well, but would be great for point-blank finishing work.  I hate to use the cheap fosters for fear of lead fouling of the rifling.

It looks like the a consensus has been reached here, that TEN is the proper number of bullets to carry.  I am going to up that to 12, with a couple of "finishers" in my pack.  I will throw a couple odd-ball /mismathed 30/06 bullets in there for my Thanksgiving weekend hunt in the NZ next week.  I have a drawer or two full of those.

I carry way to many and I know it but don't care. My Orange vest I wear holds 20 so that's what I start with. 5 for the gun and 15 extra. I average 1.5 rounds per deer due to sometimes needing a finishing shot. But you never know where the day will take you and I would never forgive myself if I ran out of bullets during a hunt.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I was wishing I had a cheaper slug with me yesterday to finish off the doe I spined in the afternoon.  It was hard to watch her surfer, so I gave her a second $3.00 sabot to the head.  At home, in a shotgun only zone, I am going to start carrying a few old sabots leftover from when I was trying different brands to see what worked best in my gun.  None of them grouped as well, but would be great for point-blank finishing work.  I hate to use the cheap fosters for fear of lead fouling of the rifling.

It looks like the a consensus has been reached here, that TEN is the proper number of bullets to carry.  I am going to up that to 12, with a couple of "finishers" in my pack.  I will throw a couple odd-ball /mismathed 30/06 bullets in there for my Thanksgiving weekend hunt in the NZ next week.  I have a drawer or two full of those.

No thanks six maybe  7 slugs is plenty for me to carry any time i bring more then that i manage to drop or lose them .

I usually go with 9 or 10 now a days. I hate running out. Last time was last year when my friend pushed out three coyote's on a drive last year. I only had 4 bullet's. I used them up on coyotes number one and two streaking across a corn field. When number three popped out 10 yards from me I was out. I tried to chase him back into the drive but he cut out.