Hunter Shoots Dogs

Rebel Darling

48 minutes ago, travisrage said:

What about when a dog gets caught in a coyote trap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get your question. If accidentally caught trapper will remove dog and let go. All traps need tags with info so if dog owner releases their own dog they can contact trap owner. Pretty simple 

• Like 1

Not to start anything but it use to be if a dog was seen chasing deer it was shot. It was condoned by all. If you saw it happen and reported it the first question asked was why didn't  you shoot it. People who did not own guns were told by eons to call such and such they will take care of it. Use to be a big problem around here. Heck We shot one of our own dogs for chasing deer. Many other dog owners were known for doing samething.Haven't  seen or heard of it happening in years though. Long time since I've  even seen a dog in the woods. Use to be peopl r email didn't  want to be known for opening a dog that chased deer. We're they upset when there pet was shot chasing deer? Yep but it considered something that needed to be done.

People use to joke about it. When asked if you saw any deer chasing dogs you would respond with never but did kill a couple dogs chasing deer.

Not saying that people didn't  care about there pets. Because they did. Dogs were ( trained) for a lack of a better term, to not chase deer. If one did then it was considered bad dog and a nuisance and needed putting down. A dog chasing a deer was considered to be harassing  wildlife. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Not to start anything but it use to be if a dog was seen chasing deer it was shot. It was condoned by all. If you saw it happen and reported it the first question asked was why didn't  you shoot it. People who did not own guns were told by eons to call such and such they will take care of it. Use to be a big problem around here. Heck We shot one of our own dogs for chasing deer. Many other dog owners were known for doing samething.Haven't  seen or heard of it happening in years though. Long time since I've  even seen a dog in the woods. Use to be peopl r email didn't  want to be known for opening a dog that chased deer. We're they upset when there pet was shot chasing deer? Yep but it considered something that needed to be done.

People use to joke about it. When asked if you saw any deer chasing dogs you would respond with never but did kill a couple dogs chasing deer.

Not saying that people didn't  care about there pets. Because they did. Dogs were ( trained) for a lack of a better term, to not chase deer. If one did then it was considered bad dog and a nuisance and needed putting down. A dog chasing a deer was considered to be harassing  wildlife. 

The top dog in the woods now is the coyote. Not too many domesticated dogs will take on a pack of coyotes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

The top dog in the woods now is the coyote. Not too many domesticated dogs will take on a pack of coyotes.

Not much of a problem with that around here.If in season they are shot when seen. A few guys who try to hunt them but they are not seen very often.

Fifty years ago in the southern zone,  only conservation officers and other police officers could legally shoot dogs chasing deer.  A citizen could legally shoot dogs that were attacking his livestock, but not because they were running deer.  I know it occurred, but the people who did it were in violation of the law the same as they are today and would be subject to criminal AND civil litigation.

Years ago it was legal for a citizen to shoot dogs running deer in the northern zone, but to my knowledge it has never been legal  in the southern zone, regardless of what one's inbred grandfather or simple minded uncle used to do.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Dogs should not be allowed to run free under any circumstances. That is not responsible pet ownership.

how are you going to hunt birds with a leashed dog or mountain lion or bear or raccoons and lets not forget the hog.. you see this is the kind of one minded mentality that we have to deal with. Absolute foolishness  My dogs dont need to be leashed and if your dog does then you need someone to train it for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vizslas said:

how are you going to hunt birds with a leashed dog or mountain lion or bear or raccoons and lets not forget the hog.. you see this is the kind of one minded mentality that we have to deal with. Absolute foolishness  My dogs dont need to be leashed and if your dog does then you need someone to train it for you.

You just answered your own question. Just because you are hunting with dogs, that doesn't mean that your dogs are free to run completely out of control. YOU are responsible for your dog ..... period. You exercise that responsibility by training your animal to obey commands and to hunt specific target animals and it is your responsibility to ensure that you have permission to use other people's property for your hunting activities. It is not the random responsibility of all landowners to allow dogs or you to trespass without prior permission, and it doesn't matter what species you are trying to hunt. For some reason people assume that because they are hunting with dogs, they automatically have free reign to use everyone's property and have some unwritten right to everyone else's property. Well, you don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

You just answered your own question. Just because you are hunting with dogs, that doesn't mean that your dogs are free to run completely out of control. YOU are responsible for your dog ..... period. You exercise that responsibility by training your animal to obey commands and to hunt specific target animals and it is your responsibility to ensure that you have permission to use other people's property for your hunting activities. It is not the random responsibility of all landowners to allow dogs or you to trespass without prior permission, and it doesn't matter what species you are trying to hunt. For some reason people assume that because they are hunting with dogs, they automatically have free reign to use everyone's property and have some unwritten right to everyone else's property. Well, you don't.

look your the one that said quote"not be allowed to run free under any circumstances". I was just pointing out how wrong you were. I was not asking a question. Listen i have to gun dogs and two coonhounds and i know how to hunt with each of the breeds my dogs dont run push or chase deer.  Not sure where the trespassing came from either way the guy that was shooting dogs was trophy hunting. some delusional dude with a twisted sense of reality...There once was a dog named JD he was shot by a neighbor laws do not always work. if your going to do stupid things like shoot dogs your most likely stupid enough to tell someone about what you did.And now with the internet telling on yourself is so much easier.

so when I do hunt with dogs unleashed  they are completely out of my control...Any time you unleash your dog  you are relinquishing control to the dog. Dogs make decisions and as an owner I am responsible for them at all times. fortunately for me my dogs trust me and i couldnt ask for anything more.

On 12/3/2016 at 10:30 PM, Pygmy said:

Fifty years ago in the southern zone,  only conservation officers and other police officers could legally shoot dogs chasing deer.  A citizen could legally shoot dogs that were attacking his livestock, but not because they were running deer.  I know it occurred, but the people who did it were in violation of the law the same as they are today and would be subject to criminal AND civil litigation.

Years ago it was legal for a citizen to shoot dogs running deer in the northern zone, but to my knowledge it has never been legal  in the southern zone, regardless of what one's inbred grandfather or simple minded uncle used to do.

As I am only 48 it was not 50 years ago and anybody shot them. ECO and LEO'S were fine with it. They encouraged  it. If they were called for dogs chasing deer by the time they got there the dogs would be gone. They had our and many others numbers to call to get there sooner. Heck it was common to see guys out looking for dogs chasing deer. I have lived and hunted the southern tier my whole life I saw it and partisapated  in it. Dogs who chased deer were treated the same as coyotes  are now only with no season. If we shot a dog with tags we gave tags to Leo and they found owner and owner was fined.

There have been a few comments about hunting small game with dogs during deer season. Never had that no one hunted small game during November. It was deer season and everyone else stayed out of the woods.

Dogs should be kept on a leash or at home during deer season. Let them walk themail woods freely and there fate is your fault.

stubby68

Dogs should be kept on a leash or at home during deer season. Let them walk themail woods freely and there fate is your fault.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen here pal Deer season runs in some form or another from September through most of December, just when the Hell do you propose folks who hunt small game with dogs get their chance??  DEER HUNTERS DO NOT OWN THE WOODS!!! You do not hunt with dogs having them on a leash and don't you be telling me and my dogs to stay home during small game season because Deer season is on at the same time!!

It is illegal to shoot dogs and the jerk who shot those dogs got just what he deserved!!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Easy Doc --- This is the guy that shoots to scare people away ! 

15 hours ago, airedale said:

stubby68

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen here pal Deer season runs in some form or another from September through most of December, just when the Hell do you propose folks who hunt small game with dogs get their chance??  DEER HUNTERS DO NOT OWN THE WOODS!!! You do not hunt with dogs having them on a leash and don't you be telling me and my dogs to stay home during small game season because Deer season is on at the same time!!

It is illegal to shoot dogs and the jerk who shot those dogs got just what he deserved!!

Al

Like I said this was years ago when someone said deer season back then we were talking with a gun. Bow season was never thought of as being hunting season around here back then. As far as I'm concerned  it still isn't .  However the deer hunters were not the only ones who considered the woods off limits for anyone's other then deer hunters then they were called the deer woods for a reason.. It was called deer season and ( hunting season) stopped until deer season was over. plenty of time for small game hunters before and after deer season.

Too many people see animals ( pets for this matter) as being more then what they are and that is animals. I own dogs, take my dogs for walks and hunting neither of which I do with them during deer season. If I ever saw one of them chase even one deer it would get shot. If you don't want your dog's shot keep them on a leash or at home off other people's properties. Your pet does not have the right to trespass or disturb someone's deer hunt just because you feel it is a family member.

15 hours ago, Paula said:

I really find it hard to believe the cops said it was ok to shoot the dogs. Prove it 

Don't know how I could prove it. I just know I lived it. Just because you don't believe it does not mean it didn't  happen. If this happened back then there wouldn't even be a story on this guy.