To shoot doe or not to shoot doe

nodeerhere

I'm really struggling with myself over shooting a doe. They taste good and I nothing will go to waste in my house! But I started thinking that could be 3 deer dead in one shot! Idk what do u guys think? Oh and I use to shoot them all the time. Now I'm just not sure. Helping or hurting??? 

Only you know the deer pop in your area.  We have shot a lot of doe on one specific property over the past 4 years.  This year the doe pop is noticeably down.  We need to lay off for a year or two there.  That said, I saw more big bucks searching this year than ever before on that property. 

• Like 5

All depends on your local deer herd. If your seeing a good number of doe then keeping them in balance is a good thing. If your not seeing the numbers then I would not be shooting doe. It baffles me when I hear people say I didn't see many deer all season but the last day I saw a big doe so I shot her.... in the next breath they ask why they don't have any deer around.
You also have to look at habitat, is it deer favorable? Big woods, mature woods will support a smaller herd than a regeneration or farm land. When you have good habitat You can manage your deer population to what the habitat will support.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On our farm property, we haven't shot a doe in three years. As we had the deer numbers nose dive for a variety of reasons. Coming back nicely now. On my lake property, we have way too many doe. And try to fill our DMP's there. Both properties are only five miles apart. But differ greatly in terrain features . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

The same doe you pass on today might get hit by a car tomorrow.  Harvest what you choose.  Those DMP's are offered for a reason.

This brings up a question. Not to hijack the thread, but this is actually relevant. Why apply for a DMP/s if you don't plan to use it/them? All you do by doing that is make it harder for those of us that would shoot does to get a DMP in some areas.

• Like 5

If you are in a zone where they give out 4 DMP's, then you should take out every antlerless deer you can when the opportunities arise. If you can not use the meat, donate it to help feed the homeless.  Most of the big processors will accept such donations.   Those hunters who save their DMP's, in such zones, are not doing anyone else much good.  When you punch your DMP's in those zones, you are benefiting the local deer herd, feeding people some excellent food, preventing car-deer collisions, reducing crop and landscaping damage, and saving the next generation of forest.            

• Like 4

Hmmmm!! A bunch of different ways to look at this. Good stuff. My sons do love venison jerky and snack sticks. Ok now also who here thinks the dec actually has a handle on this? What if they are just trying to whip out the herd here? Possible? And I'm really asking!! Cause some times I wonder. I'm in 9a. And for real I could get 4 permits if I wanted. 

• Like 1

Just kill the deer you want to kill. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Stop asking people on a web forum what you should shoot. You will get brain washed! Hunt for you, not social media. Hunting isn't about how many Twitter followers you get, or about how many likes to get. It's about hunting. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Fill the freezer with Venison ..... Period !

Agreed !  If you have the tag, use it and put tasty venison in the freezer. If possible to do so. And I realize too, that sometimes the deer don't cooperate and it may not be possible to fill.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ....rob said:

This brings up a question. Not to hijack the thread, but this is actually relevant. Why apply for a DMP/s if you don't plan to use it/them? All you do by doing that is make it harder for those of us that would shoot does to get a DMP in some areas.

I haven't applied for DMP in years.  In my area we have been fortunate enough to take doe during archery.  If I don't get meat in the freezer, I don't want to have that option to take my rifle out and tag a doe.  This is how I feel.  Friends and other family members can do what they choose on the property.

I want to shoot does. I will kill a buck occasionally if meat is needed by my extended family. However, killing does protects my crops, improves the odds of healthy forest generation, stops the selective browsing that causes invasives to dominate native vegetation on my property, and helps improve habitat for a host of other wildlife species.

The resistance to killing does is an atavism left over from a time when deer were scarce. Anyone living in an area with too many deer is a true conservationist when they kill does. Get some tags. Kill some does, eat well, and feel good about it.

• Like 3

Just because the DEC believes your area your has a population that's too high, doesn't mean that's the case for your property. Only YOU can decide. Micromanage! The DEC issues 4 DMP's each year for my area (8F). They are "idiots" to believe that my property has an excess of deer!! If I didnt care, I would fill all my tags. But, I own property and have a vested interest, so I haven't shot a doe in years! Finally saw a decent amount of deer this year, about 50/50 doe to buck ratio. Only you can decide.

My son, daughter , and myself hunt my 28 acres (8F). Between bow, gun, muzzleloader/crossbow, and DMP's, the DEC issues 23 tags for us. WTF...

Just because the DEC issues a tag for your area/property doesn't mean you HAVE to fill it. YOU know your property, better than the DEC! 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Just kill the deer you want to kill. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Stop asking people on a web forum what you should shoot. You will get brain washed! Hunt for you, not social media. Hunting isn't about how many Twitter followers you get, or about how many likes to get. It's about hunting. 

Wasn't really asking what to shoot. Was asking what others thought. There is a rhyme or reason to hunting. I have 3 deer in my freezer. Was just wondering what other people thought and there opinion on killing doe! I mean if I didn't ask or nobody asked anything u wouldn't have this forum to post ur opinion. Was just trying to get so different opinions is all!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

I took three does off one property the past two seasons and then this year I've only seen a three small bucks and two does in maybe 20 sets. The first two years I only didn't see deer on maybe three sets. So when I saw the two does walk by I let them pass. My Westchester county spot has so many deer you could shoot a deer the night before and have more pass by the next day. Like others said gauge your spots but if your your in need of meat whack a doe I'd take out a doe over a small buck any day. 

The DEC does not have the ability to micromanage every tract of land in a given region. There may be high numbers of permits given out but yet there are areas with very low population, this is in part due to people thinking because they have the tag they HAVE to fill it. You don't have to fill anything. If I have enough venison I'm certainly not going to keep killing off deer and giving them away for the sake of burning up tags. That's ridiculous in my opinion. Shoot what you need and leave the rest for someone else or next year. Every property is different, yet every year you hear " we've never had a problem filling all of our doe tags for the last 10 years and this year we aren't seeing any does?" Genius.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

I'm really struggling with myself over shooting a doe. They taste good and I nothing will go to waste in my house! But I started thinking that could be 3 deer dead in one shot! Idk what do u guys think? Oh and I use to shoot them all the time. Now I'm just not sure. Helping or hurting??? 

Does are the breeders (limiting factor) so that's why any population management discussion is about does.  

Yes you get 3 for 1 and that's how the DEC /wildlife biologists and ecologists intend for it to work.  

Unless you think you have better (anecdotal) observations than the DEC fill them or give them to someone who will try.

Edited by paulskodabow
  • Like 1