I'm getting a new cross gun!

dbHunterNY

So just had a meeting and was talking to a dealer that went to the ATA.  Talked about the new Ravin R15 crossbow not released yet.  Right now definitely illegal in NY.  However, after this crossbow legislation goes through and repeals the minimum width and draw weight restriction then i'm getting it.  425 fps, capable to a 100 yards, 6" ata cocked, draw crank mechanism that also lets you let the bow down without having to discharge it.  Yes it's basically a gun and yes i'm getting it as my first cross-gun.  I'm sure that off-ends some of you, so sorry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

So just had a meeting and was talking to a dealer that went to the ATA.  Talked about the new Ravin R15 crossbow not released yet.  Right now definitely illegal in NY.  However, after this crossbow legislation goes through and repeals the minimum width and draw weight restriction then i'm getting it.  425 fps, capable to a 100 yards, 6" ata cocked, draw crank mechanism that also lets you let the bow down without having to discharge it.  Yes it's basically a gun and yes i'm getting it as my first cross-gun.  I'm sure that off-ends some of you, so sorry.

Why would it offend anyone? Looks pretty cool and being able to let the string down without firing it is a huge plus for many. Hefty price tag on that bad boy. Enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ROuTg_lZss

I am thankful that I need to shoot my crossbow to unload it.  That forces me to practice throughout the season.  That builds confidence in my ability to hit the individual hair that I aim at when a deer offers me a shot.   I worked great this year, when a buck showed up the day after I unloaded my crossbow from my previous hunt.  He was even at the same range that I fired my unloading bolt from.  That bolt hit dead center on the bull and the one on the deer hit almost exactly where I aimed.  He dropped dead in sight after taking the bolt diagonally thru the chest from my $250 entry-level crossbow.   I may upgrade after full inclusion, but this thing has certainly smoked them every time so far, so I am in no hurry to change if it stays just the last two weeks again this year.         

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

If it goes through???!!!

There was an advertisement in my new Bow Hunter magazine that sounds very similar. It looked awesome....I believe when I read the crossbow rules and regulations (for this year) there was a min A to A. Can't remember what it was but I am positive it was more than 6"....

4 hours ago, Belo said:

there's a trend with cross gun threads that I find interesting.

lots of comments about how cool they "look", and how neat the concept "sounds".

:rofl:

it wouldn't be beyond my reach.  only hitch is current crossbow restrictions we have here in NY.  there's enough push and people buzzing in the right ears that it's inevitably going to pass.  this year idk but soon.  many more people get the entry level crossbows just like anything else.  if i intend on getting a crossbow it'll be definitely a 1 and done for a while purchase that spares no expense.  size, design, and hp of the R15 would do the trick.  there's enough video out there to prove this thing can shoot way farther than i would ever consider shooting at a deer.

I don't think NY will ever drop the restrictions on width and draw. Just my opinion. Inclusion is comming within a year or so maybe even this year. But I don't know about the design restrictions. There are some bad xbow out there that do meet our requirements already tho

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

the legislation only puts in DEC hands as it should be and eliminates the draw weight and width restrictions.  i don't "need" one that bad so i can wait it out. lol  i'm more than proficient with my vertical bow but crossbows are fun as all heck with kids especially.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

the legislation only puts in DEC hands as it should be and eliminates the draw weight and width restrictions.  i don't "need" one that bad so i can wait it out. lol  i'm more than proficient with my vertical bow but crossbows are fun as all heck with kids especially.

Yeah, Until I can't draw a vertical I would only buy one if it added to my season. They are fun to shoot but I don't like the noise when they fire. I am sure there are quieter ones on the market but any I have been around are to loud for my liking. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, moog5050 said:

Not sure I will ever buy a crossbow, but if I did, that looks darn cool.  

I always though id rather get a recurve than a xbow. That changed this fall. I was trying hard to take a nice buck with my son (8). It was opening day of xbow and my brother was telling me to take his that day. I connected on a nice 5x5 at a little over 40yrds. I wouldn't have taken that shot with my compound. So ill probably invest in one for hunts with my son.