Ladder stand seats?

OldNewbie

I bought a couple of used ladder stands this week (my first). One has a permanently attached seat of fabric-covered-foam attached to a wooden board. I'm am thinking that after being left out during the season, it would be like sitting on a wet sponge. Should I remove the foam and fabric and just take a foam seat cushion with me when sitting?  Or am I missing something?

I always just carry in my foam seat. That way, it's always dry and comfy! Even if I have to clear snow from the stand or if it's been raining overnight. Much easier to sit longer when you have a warm dry seat! Good luck with the new stands!

• Like 2

I have a ladder stand up for 5+ years and the seat is dry as a bone, I put one of the strap on swivel seats on the tree just above the stand , it folds up when not in use and just put a heavy duty plastic bag over it, I just replace the bag when deteriorated. 

Any seat I ever covered with plastic bag , became a nice squirrel nest !

I always pack in a cushion , except when using  my large stand  that has a mesh chair seat that folds up .

Edited by Larry302

I take a foam seat with me when I go to one of my ladder stands . What I forget to do is to take an extra cushion to put between my back and the tree . The temperature might get up to 45 - 50 degrees during the day but if it was freezing overnight , that tree is cccccold and when you lean against it , you will get cold quick ! 

I have the padded seat that came on the ladder stand still attached . I carry in a plastic bag and put bag around the seat each time. I think I'll but a Hot Seat to carry in each time though as my butt still gets cold from sitting on a wet pad with a plastic bag over it.

Oh yeah, you only have to sit on a wet ladder stand seat a couple of times before you begin carrying in a foam seat. Have had many different styles over the years. Inflatable, the thick/high density foam ones, but the best are the ~2" thick, larger size, semi-squishy and with a carrying strap.

Don't know about everyone else, but if I'm not comfortable (& dry) sitting, the hunt is doomed to be shortened.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone who has chimed in is absolutely correct- bringing in a foam seat is the only way to go. I have 20 stands on my property and none of them have a permanent seat. I removed them before I even set up the stands. Not only will the permanent seats get wet, but they will freeze in cold weather. Even if you cover them with a plastic bag or place another foam seat over them, they will make noise once they are frozen and the noise will scare off any approaching deer. Carry in a nice lightweight foam seat with you and you will have a dry and warm place to sit every time.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 2

I have a small foam seat cushion tied to the back of my hunting pants. I can sit pretty comfortably anywhere, at any time. If there's a chance of it getting hung up during a walk in the brush I tuck it into the back of the pants. As long as I remember my pants I have a dry seat everywhere I go. So far so good. ;-]

• Like 2

Man I just sit on the cold metal seats.  But I do have more built in cushion than some and I carry it 24/7.  Seriously I have never used a cushion.  Too lazy to carry it and I always envisioned it falling when I stood to shoot a booner spooking it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grampy said:

Here's my set up. Tried, true and ready to sling over my shoulder, no matter where I choose to set up. Must have hundreds if not thousands of butt miles on this. 20170703_102449.jpg

Do you sit against a tree in your ground blinds.  Not sure how long I would last with no back rest. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Do you sit against a tree in your ground blinds.  Not sure how long I would last with no back rest. 

I used to sit on buckets when I hunted from the ground but I need a backrest . If the tree trunk is straight that the stand is in , that helps . But , like I said in another thread that if the tree trunk is frozen , your back will get cold real quick . 

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

95% of my ground blinds have a large tree for a back rest and to help break up my human outline. My pad folds out to cushion my back as well as my butt. If I'm in a tree stand I'll wrap the nylon strap around the tree or existing seat. Never had it fall out on it's own. But once threw it out to the ground after blowing a chip shot at a nice buck!

13 hours ago, Steve D said:

These are pretty nifty for occasional use. I have one cheap ladder stand without a seat I use on occasion and also use it with that.  Got mine at Runnings.

treeseat.jpg

Have one like this I got from sportsmen guide. Only cost 30 bucks. Light weight easy and quick to hang. Works great.