anyone name their deer? Whats your favorite?

Robhuntandfish

Anyone name their deer?  Have heard some say its silly or disrespectful. On our lease we do name one if it earns a name, its kinda a fun competition.  3 years ago we had one named "The Par 5 buck"   cause my buddy shot at it 4 times on opening day and didn't get it, so must be it was a par 5!!

It was a big 10 point with some stickers! Got shot a couple properties over later in season.  

Last year we had "the Dark Knight" cause no one ever saw it in the day light.  - photo 

Dark knight 2.JPG

Years ago, we had one big buck that I named Cosgrove. Don't ask me why that particular name popped into my mind, but that was how I referred to him. I guess I don't see any problem with it if you have a particular deer that stands out. If you keep running into him, I think it's kind of natural to begin calling him something.

not necessarily a name, but I usually use certain phrases to text my dad or vice versa so we know which deer we just saw and are talking about. Examples: the broken 6, the wide 4, the tall spike, the high 7, the big 8, the basket 8, etc. It's easy for us since there are only usually have a handful of bucks on cam and they are typically the same ones we see hunting.

• Like 1

I'll admit, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me when people name a deer. First off, I don't typically have so many good bucks on camera that I can't keep them straight just by saying, "that 8 pt" or if I need to get fancy, "that wide 8pt." Secondly "hit lists" is also annoying to me, foolish terms perpetuated by tv fools that everyone and their brother feels the need to imitate. With that said, I have called deer plenty of names while in the woods, mostly profane in nature when they don't read the script...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'll admit, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me when people name a deer. First off, I don't typically have so many good bucks on camera that I can't keep them straight just by saying, "that 8 pt" or if I need to get fancy, "that wide 8pt." Secondly "hit lists" is also annoying to me, foolish terms perpetuated by tv fools that everyone and their brother feels the need to imitate. With that said, I have called deer plenty of names while in the woods, mostly profane in nature when they don't read the script...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sorry Chris. I usually name em all. Even named a pile of doe over the years. Some of my favs... Well, big momma, crabby, the vamp, straight up, eddy. The list is long. I'd say it's more for fun, not like naming a dog or cat... "That 6pt" can get confusing when discussing the herd action with fellow hunters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have one we call Lucky, he's actually the picture under my name. My dad missed him twice in one day and every time I see him he is out of range, except once and the road was right behind him, so no shot. We also have one called the Ghost, he only comes out at night. We have never laid eyes on him in the daylight.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Anyone name their deer?  Have heard some say its silly or disrespectful. On our lease we do name one if it earns a name, its kinda a fun competition.  3 years ago we had one named "The Par 5 buck"   cause my buddy shot at it 4 times on opening day and didn't get it, so must be it was a par 5!!

It was a big 10 point with some stickers! Got shot a couple properties over later in season.  

Last year we had "the Dark Knight" cause no one ever saw it in the day light.  - photo 

Dark knight 2.JPG

It is as silly as calling them Deer....

or naming your dog, bird or any pet.

who cares what they think, we name our pets, we name our deer, elk, etc.

Hell we even name mountains....you don't think a pine tree or mountain knows what we call it do you? ;) 

we have our favorites, and the descendants of favorites

this is Notch, she's 7 now, she is Latimer's daughter,  her mother was Misty.

you've got to keep the doors closed or she jams herself right inside, get's under the table and won't come out. her daughter is her 9th, we just call her Baby Notch, her brother was killed a by a lion next to her when she was a baby baby and it has effected her a lot, she's very timid and prefers to keep close to Notch or us, she watched us shoot bears and coyotes and miss a wolf in the yard so she likes when she sees the rifle come out on the deck, she'll whack us with her hoof until we let her sniff it all over.

and we also have bowling ball, son of bowling ball, and Spy and son of Spy, deer are maternal and we get soft spots for Shade, who is Newt's great granddaughter.

Like people they are all the same.

and like people, they are all individuals too.

you go ahead and name them, I bet they have a name for you too.

20161016_042551.jpg

20160415_154540.jpg

20170318_082504.jpg

no because they aren't my deer... people really need to look at deer as public property and not get upset if someone shoots one they have seen or have pictures of..and hunting would be a much better for it..to many problems cause by someone shooting someone elses deer... unless you have them all behind a fence  they are not yours...