Hurricane Irma

Cabin Fever

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is exactly what I say every hurricane season? The one that hit Jersey I gave a little slack to them but when you live in south Florida and you're buy plywood days before a hurricane I have a very hard time feeling pitty for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of places now have hurricane shutters.  

A lot of places now have hurricane shutters.  
Not true, numerous Tampa subdivisions were never built to Miami Dade post Andrew stricter codes.
Numerous houses don't even have shutters, much less hurricane resistant windows, doors, and garage doors.

Also due to the coming storm surge which will be +/- 9 feet above ground level, its kind of hard to build houses that high above ground level. It is cost prohibitive if you would be doing it on a subdivision scale. That's why you buy flood insurance and live inland, or roll the dice.

That is why the state of Florida has had roughly 5.6 million people that have been asked to go to an evacuation shelter or leave, but when it is going to affect the entire state, your only real option is to evacuate via airplane last week.

I have electric still now, and starting to have wind gusts up to 70 mph and rain.

This should last for the next 30 hours or so, the weather that is, the electric we keep our fingers crossed.

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Tampa hasn't had a direct hit in a long time and there are a lot of older homes and neighborhoods there. Very different from east coast areas post ANDREW.

North Tampa is probably the area with the most new builds. Pinellas...different story. We shut our building down there yesterday. The building will probably be fine and we have pretty modern telecom/power setups including a generator that would make a prepper giggle with excitement. Bigger issue will be people being capable of getting to it to work after enduring the storm. I suspect Tampa will remember this storm for a long time if it sticks to the track projection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Is that same as the "winter" air for  tires up here in the north?:scratchhead:

No idea how good they are but they are code and many have them in my mothers area. She does.  And I assume they are better than plywood which is the comment I responded to - about having plywood ready for hurricanes.  Not sure I would compare metal covered windows with an imaginary product. 

Edited by moog5050

27 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I responded to - about having plywood ready for hurricanes.  Not sure I would compare metal covered windows with an imaginary product. 

And my response was in respect to why cover the windows at all if the house is going to blow away. The intensity of this storm sounds like none other and I really don't think the people that have plywood or metal shutters will be glad they had them if their house is blown apart or flattened.

With tornados coming with, during, and after the hurricane I just hope the people that stay are able to make it through.

26 minutes ago, Steve D said:

And my response was in respect to why cover the windows at all if the house is going to blow away. The intensity of this storm sounds like none other and I really don't think the people that have plywood or metal shutters will be glad they had them if their house is blown apart or flattened.

With tornados coming with, during, and after the hurricane I just hope the people that stay are able to make it through.

As do I

My wife and I own a condo in Bonita Springs. Looks like we're going to take a direct hit. Tuesday morning we're heading to stay with friends in Raleigh and will be there until it looks like we'll be able to get to our place. My big fear is the roof being blown off. I want to get there asap to salvage whatever we can (assuming severe damage) and to protect our property from possible looting. I'm taking a generator, water, enough food for a couple weeks, chainsaw, fuel.

24 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

My wife and I own a condo in Bonita Springs. Looks like we're going to take a direct hit. Tuesday morning we're heading to stay with friends in Raleigh and will be there until it looks like we'll be able to get to our place. My big fear is the roof being blown off. I want to get there asap to salvage whatever we can (assuming severe damage) and to protect our property from possible looting. I'm taking a generator, water, enough food for a couple weeks, chainsaw, fuel.

Wishing you the best Tom. Hopefully you won't need any of the stuff you're bringing with you. Keep safe and take care sir.

We have a family member that lives in St. Petersburg. She is in a Holiday Inn until the storm passes, as she lives in a mobile home community. We invited her to stay with us, but she wouldn't come up. She was raised in Huntersland, outside of Schoharie, and has lived down there for 50 years. In that time, she's never seen anything close to this. We are saying a lot of prayers for her, and everyone down there tonight. 

Edited by grampy

My uncle is right on the intercoastal in treasure island near St Pete, he was going to stick it out till it changed course and is heading up the west side, he boarded up and stacked household items up high, they said the storm surge could be 10ft which would almost flood to his celling. He left an 2 hrs ago. Poor guy just bought a boat 2 months ago and it's tied to his doc let's hope for the best.

My mom's in just north in Pinellas county just a stones throw from the intercoastal and should be high enough to miss any storm surge but most houses there are older homes and aren't equipped to handle these storms.

34 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

We all have lots of connections to Florida through family and friends........a fair portion of the state could have horrendous damage and there isn't much anyone can do.  Stay safe and please keep us posted.

Many fiends have houses , condos and trailers in FLA . We toyed with  buying a double wide, with a boat slip , in one of our friends park last year . 

Dont plan on being in snow country for to many more winters , but FLA may be out of the picture .

Many fiends have houses , condos and trailers in FLA . We toyed with  buying a double wide, with a boat slip , in one of our friends park last year . 
Dont plan on being in snow country for to many more winters , but FLA may be out of the picture .
After the storm may be the time to buy property... put a cheap house you can walk away from on it, Head to NY when you need to. First major storm since the 60s... May be a good gamble...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm amazed.....my neighbor just called. She went out while in the eye of the storm and checked my condo. No damage other than a tree. She hasn't been inside it yet, but  said no broken windows and the roof is fine. The back half isn't as strong so I believe we're going to be fine. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

We are rocking' and rollin' here now. The eye is directly below us and heading north. Looks like 80+ mph winds for several hours duration. Still have power but lights are flickering. Lots of rain and trees down. Oh joy!

Good time to test out that new kite! Stay safe.

• Like 1