MOOSE!!

Lawdwaz

I have hunted them 3 times in Alaska,  once in New Brunswick and once in Newfoundland....

Killed a bull in AK  on a float hunt and one in NB....One with the .280 Rem  and 160 Nosler  partitions and one with the 9.3 x 62 and 250  Barnes X...

The AK trips were all combo moose/caribou hunts....

I would love to do another AK wilderness  DIY hunt, but I am too old and fat...Taking care of a dead moose is a monumental task..

A friend and I researched a DIY " Old Man's" moose hunt when we were both in our early 50's and decided we just were not up to it.

That is a young man's sport..

Guided AK hunts go for about 10K now..Too rich for my blood....

Affordable hunts are still available in Newfoundland....The moose are smaller, but ANY moose is a BIG animal...

Manitoba, Alberta and BC  have some affordable hunts , but you have so seek them out...Bowsite is a good source for info...

Success rates are around 90% or better in many Newfie hunts and the newfies are a hoot...If you are not hung up on killing a big rack that is probably your best bet..Rates are lower than most other places too,other than a DIY Alaska hunt, which has a lot lower odds of success and you would need 2 or 3 young fellows with you to do the bull work should you kill one..

• Like 9

When it comes to the taste of wild game, moose comes out on top, and the tongue is the best part.  PM me if you get one and feel inclined to toss that out.   Even the old ones taste great.  My buddy killed one that was estimated at 8.5 years old in Newfoundland a few years ago and a frozen roast was a little tough, but the canned meat was to die for.   Eventually, he thawed and canned all the roasts.    

• Like 1

Been twice, both times to Newfoundland.

First trip was a fly-in, we lost a day going in and had to leave a day early on the back end, so I lost 2 days of hunting (of course, no money refunded). I passed on a small bull the second day, and never saw another bull the rest of the week. I did manage to kill a nice woodland caribou. I saw a couple cows, but of course didn't have a cow tag. I was the only guy in camp who did not shoot a bull moose but a couple were very small.

I went back 2 years later to redeem myself, this time went to a drive-in camp. Of course, I picked the week Hurricane Ivan decided to hit Newfoundland. :rolleyes: Weather was horrible, rained hard all week long. On the 3rd day I decided I'd take a cow (had a tag this time), since it was looking pretty grim. I shot one stepping into a logging path, I did not know there was another cow directly behind it. The bullet passed through the first one, hit the second one in the face, and she charged me. Shot 2 more .300 mag shells into the charging cow at very close range before she dropped, and in the blink of an eye, I had 2 cows laid out. I gave the second cow to one of the groups in camp, since I was the only one to kill anything that week (only had 1 tag anyway). I spent the rest of the week helping the camp build a new bridge and road so that we could get out, roads were washed out from the hurricane.

After the second trip, I made up my mind that a bull moose on the wall just wasn't in the cards for Uncle Nicky, and I pretty much lost the itch at that point. I don't think I'll go back again, unless someone dies and leaves me a pile, even Newfoundland moose trips have gotten out-of-hand price-wise. I will say that the myth of a slam-dunk Newfoundland moose hunt is just that, a myth. At least for me that's how it worked out for me.

• Like 5

i've been to Newfoundland twice and was successful both times. both times got a bull and both had about a 36 inch spread. Like pygmy said, smaller than Alaska but still 800 lb animals. I drove my truck - long haul but i was able to bring the meat back with me in coolers packed with ice. If you fly add in the cost of someone cutting the meat and shipping it.

use a 270

bring rubber boots - lots of rain and bogs

Two of the best hunting experiences of my life...would do it again if i had the $$$

this is the place i went to

http://www.newfoundlandbiggamehunting.com

• Like 4

There an awful creature recking havoc in the Adirondacks. We need a season on them they push the deer out of the area. Theyre aggressive and there causing al kinds of accidents up here. Although the meat I hear is awfully tasty. I'm gonna put in the lottery in maine and try to be selected for a tag then I'm hoping to bag one. Not in it for the horns I'm a meathunter.

Nicky...You are not the only one to return from Newfoundland without a moose.

I hunted in a camp with six other guys and I am the only one who did not get a shot...5 guys killed their moose and the other one missed a bull...I saw 5 moose during the hunt and the closest one was about 500 yards away....My guide felt terrible because he didn't get me a moose, although he worked his butt off trying...That's hunting...I still gave him a nice tip because he worked very hard for me..He felt worse about my not getting a moose than I did...

• Like 2

Seen a bunch in NW Ontario while wolf hunting years ago. Giant animals, but never had an interest in killing one. Pretty cool how some people can call them into bow range though. Had the meat several times while on hunts, tasted amazing. We the exchange rate you can get a good deal and hunt with Babine Outfitters in BC and you will get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 times. Newfoundland, cow 300WM 1 shot. New Brunswick, bull 300 WM. Son shot 5 times. Maine, self guided hunt from a friend's camp in Topsfield. Cow on last day. 1 shot by son with 416 Rigby.

All of the hunts were real experiences. Meat is fantastic. Highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Back in my younger years (1986-ish), a group of 4 of us co-workers planned a moose hunt up in an Ontario, Canada township of Shining Tree. Actually it turned out to be two archery moose hunts. The first one was an ATV hunt where we reached our calling areas via ATV or took canoes out on the lakes and rivers and made some cow calls. The first hunt provided some close situations but no connect.

The second hunt was different. We left Three Bears Camp and drove miles on back roads, parked the trucks, unloaded a boat and motor into a lake and used that boat to tow two canoes. We went to the end of that lake and then had 150 yard portage into a second lake and off into the end of that one. We were in deep! We set up camp (tents) there. It was weird to be out of sight and sound of anything resembling human activity. No lights, no sounds other than moose splashing around across the lake. We started paddling around a swamp nearby and found some tracks and scat, and even a few pretty well established moose trails. Laid out our plan of attack and then went back to camp. We caught a mess of pike for dinner and relaxed around camp ready to hunt the next morning. By 9:00 AM or so, we were quartering up a bull and heading back to camp.

We had to hire an outfitter just to satisfy the Canadian law and to guarantee tags, but we were completely on our own as far as the camping and hunting went. The expenses were split 4 ways, and the cost was absolutely dirt cheap. We used dried food, and supplemented meals with some great pike that we caught. Some of that freeze-dried food that they sell is some great stuff. We ate like kings.

Would I do anything different after those two experiences? ....... I wouldn't change the 2nd hunt one bit. It was perfect! That wilderness experience was something that I will never forget. It was absolutely the best hunt I have ever been on.

• Like 1

been putting in for a Maine permit for 8 years!  hoping to get one before I am 70.  Already have a camp lined up to use, topo maps and a 30-06.  Just need the permit.

My hunting buddies grandfather went years ago with his hunting buddy (can put two people on permit) and they got a moose and never said to anyone which of them shot it , was a team effort! lol.  We are gonna do the same thing, just need to be lucky for the permit.  Cow or bull dont care.  

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Nicky...You are not the only one to return from Newfoundland without a moose.

I hunted in a camp with six other guys and I am the only one who did not get a shot...5 guys killed their moose and the other one missed a bull...I saw 5 moose during the hunt and the closest one was about 500 yards away....My guide felt terrible because he didn't get me a moose, although he worked his butt off trying...That's hunting...I still gave him a nice tip because he worked very hard for me..He felt worse about my not getting a moose than I did...

Thanks Pygmy- I re-read my post, and I guess I sounded a little salty, but I have no regrets and the cow I killed was probably the best wild animal I have ever eaten- and there was a LOT of good eating involved. Your trip you described sounds a lot like the first hunt I went on, and both times I tipped the guides well, they all worked their butts off. And yes, it is hunting, and the memories and friends I made along the will never go away. I just figured that after the second trip, there must be some kind of bad mojo involved for me, and wasn't willing to spend another $3,000 (at the time) to prove myself wrong.

My most recent obsession is catching the elusive 40" pike...I have the feeling this hair-brained scheme is going to set me back a little also....:rofl:

I have gone on four trips to Newfoundland the last time I went was in the early eighties. The first was a fly in and the other three we went inland by all terrain vehicles. On those trips I took two bulls and two cows, three with a 280 Remington using handloaded 150 gr Nosler partitions, one with a 7 mm Remington mag using a 160 gr Nosler partition. Physically "lots" of miles walking on boggy ground also up and down some pretty high hills, back then a piece of cake and no problem for me, today it would be pretty tough. The outfitter's Bombardier J-5 tracked ATVs made recovery of the meat not bad as they could always get pretty close to downed animals. The first trip everything was carried on our backs to the shore of a lake where we could utilize a boat to get back to camp.

I never took a whopper, my best one is the guy on the ground in front.

Al

2023883610033835012LpiUgC_ph.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

We went to Newfie in 2015, Patey and sons outfitter. Very high success rate, well organized, great people. we got two young bulls. The weather was horrible, we chose to take the first palmated bulls that showed and did so on the third day of the hunt (day one and two weather was socked in , couldn't hunt). That day between us we saw 7 shootable moose...including four monstrous cows, which were legal for us. I used an 8 mm mauser, one shot drop, my buddy his 30-06. Be prepared for ALOT of walking, wet weather, rough country. We loved it. The outfitter flew us in with his 1940s era bush plane, which we wouldn't have missed for nuthin! We are going back next year. The only thing we hope to do different...not necessarily will....is to see more of the beautiful country. Due to the weather and tagging out early, we chose to fly out early.

we had pretty much 3 days travel time. First day CNY to the Maine border, overnighted,2nd day Maine to the ferry terminal in northern Nova Scotia (about 6-7 hrs driving, ), then the overnight ferry trip to Newfie with about a 6 hr drive to the outfitter and fly in to the camp.We scheduled a full two weeks gone to have a bit of leeway. Plan about 3 big (100 qt ) cooler per moose. we pulled a utility trailer for the purpose.

• Like 1

2004 new hampshire, 200 yard shot 30--06  my buddy said you missed the first shot so I racked another and fired the second shot, she went about 20 yards off the logging road.  3:10 pm on a sunday.  when we got up to the spot there was lots of hair but no blood.  walked into the jungle of brush and there it laid.  had 2 holes through the lungs 1" apart. 

what would I do different??? NOT let roger drive his truck that day! he had no tools in the truck which also had a cap on it, and it was a new truck so we had to cut back the logging road the 2 miles to get back in there cause god forbid ya may scratch the truck lol.

I think the biologist said live weight was 856lb. and I dont recall the checked in weight, all I know is that it was 4 am monday by the time we finally had it loaded in his truck bed which also did no longer have those tie down loops up in the front of the bed ( they are not designed to pull a dead moose into the bed off a large slab of granite)

it was a fun hunt, sore for a week afterwards but some of the tastiest wild game ya ever want to have on a plate in front of you.

in hindsight had we just waited till monday morning we could of given $100 to a skidder operator to go haul it out......but what memory would that of been lol.

would I go again? in a heart beat!  would I do things different? yup I would drive my truck every day of the hunt  lol.

After ten years of applying I finally got a bull permit for zone two. My friend who lives there and has taken many moose guided me. I rented a house near the entrance gate to The North Woods and we were set. We did see a few moose and I took a small bull with his 7-08 after scope problems with my rifle. Looking back I probably should have went to Canada for a guaranteed tag years ago even if I had to charge it and pay it off. I say this because I was lucky but time is more valuable than money. If anyone is applying to Maine PM me for advice I'd be glad to help. Good luck to all in lottery draws everywhere. PS I posted this hunt in Out of Town thread when I returned it's probably there so I won't repeat it here.

After ten years of applying I finally got a bull permit for zone two. My friend who lives there and has taken many moose guided me. I rented a house near the entrance gate to The North Woods and we were set. We did see a few moose and I took a small bull with his 7-08 after scope problems with my rifle. Looking back I probably should have went to Canada for a guaranteed tag years ago even if I had to charge it and pay it off. I say this because I was lucky but time is more valuable than money. If anyone is applying to Maine PM me for advice I'd be glad to help. Good luck to all in lottery draws everywhere. PS I posted this hunt in Out of Town thread when I returned it's probably there so I won't repeat it here.

That's where I went with my buddy, he drew a tag first freaking try ever. Had a beautiful bull in 15 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I lived in Northern Maine for 10 Years from 1995-2005, I have been on Numerous hunts with friends who were lucky enough to get a permit. Moose hunting up near Caribou Maine is pretty easy with a very high success rate. Moose are Very big and Very Dumb animals. Hang around any huge Broccoli field and they will be there, there are 100.000 ac of woods, swamps, and fields to hunt. Be ready to work you butt off after the shot, these animals go from 500lbs to well over 1000lbs and if you go to Alaska they are even bigger there. The locals all have low boy trailers with winches, no lifting required!

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Who's hunted them?

Where?

When?

Success?

What would you do over and what would you NOT do over?

Gun or Bow?

Fire away.............................

I hunt them every year since 1976, wherever I can get a tag. a couple years I had four and five tags that ceased to be fun and was a little much but damn it was fun. Now I put in for tags and if I can't get one I buy an auction tag usually wherever I know the area well, if that fails I have my father in law start calling the reservations seeing who can sell me a tag. last phase is calling family in Europe and trying to find tags there.  Amazing how well it works considering my speech starts with, Hi, I'm a distant relative of yours but we left 400 years ago....what do you know about Elk hunting cousin?"....

Start closest to home and then work out is my technique.

They are my favorite hunting and eating critter

I've hunted them everywhere they are legal to hunt, in Europe they are called Elk.

October in the usa is my favorite season. I've never had an unfilled tag, DIY.

unless I am in grizzly area I would never hunt with other people again, they almost always turn it into a race to butcher and get it out, and unless there is a pressing reason to do so it ruins the hunt for me, every time.

If I could hunt newfoundland every year and nowhere else I would. I see 5 or 6 moose every week around here but if there's a year where I see 3 or 4 moose every day I KNOW I'm not going to draw a tag here.....better to see nothing, then I'll draw!

I prefer gun hunting them, flinter or centerfire,  I bow hunt if it's the only tag I can get

despite my wife's screaming and carrying on to shoot them on the lawn, I don't shoot any moose that hang around the house, usually they are there because the wolves are after them hard and heavy.

DSC03508 (2).JPG

IMG_20131008_173819.jpg

IS-1cd4laq5on9st (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Who's hunted them? Myself and 3 co-workers

Where? North of Shining Tree, Ontario, Canada. Canoe/pack-in. Remote camping. Self guided. Long drive with trucks (About 40 miles of dirt road past the outfitter's camp. Outfitter requirement was a Canadian law for non-residents at the time)...Dumped loaded canoes and small motor boat went to the end of a large lake..... 150 yard portage into another lake...Went the length of the 2nd lake to the swampy/river end... Set up tent camp site to hunt out of.

When? 1986

Success? Yes, young bull.

What would you do over and what would you NOT do over? The hunt was perfect. The price was good. the experience was exactly the way a hunt in the wilderness should be. I wouldn't change a thing.

Gun or Bow? Bow

Fire away.............................

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2