Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Well my night got worse. I set my phone down after I posted and saw a buck working my way, along the same trail as the does. I checked him with the binos, it was a buck I call Tank. He’s a big 3 or 4 year old mainframe 8. He got to the tree before where the doe stopped and he stopped as well, as the combine was making another pass. I had my bow up and ready to draw. Just needed a few more steps, but he turned around and trotted off. Soon after that, the farmer parked the combine and left. Rough evening. I’ll be right back in there in the morning. Checked my camera and have pics of him there every evening and most mornings for almost a week. Hopefully I get a crack at him tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Had an eventful evening hunt with my daughter. Could not have been in the stand more than 30 min when a small doe came by about 60 yards. She was just milling about and the daughter was all excited. The doe turns to walk away and I give her a few calls just to see if she could get any closer just for our amusement. My surprise she turns around and starts coming back.

Now we are just watching her mill about still 60+ yards away. When out of the corner of my eye I catch movement. Sure enough 2 small bucks join in on the fun. One has a decent body but not much of a rack. I drew back on him and he caught my movement and ran away but the other one stayed and now the doe has joined next to him.

They are both about 75 yards away and not responding to my calls don’t matter what I do. So we sit there content at watching them when another buck comes trotting into view! He’s a decent body 6 pointer nothing to write home about but also not one to pass on with my daughter in the stand with me. He comes into 40 yards almost perfectly board side and I let the arrow fly!

The shot felt ok but the sound at impact sounded more like a smack into the ground vs. a solid thud into the deer. Caulked it up to a miss figured we would get down find the arrow and get out of there before dark.

Well no arrow to be found. Do a quick check for blood or hair also nothing. Now it’s getting dark so I call for help from the guys I’m with. They arrive with big flash lights and off we go following what I think the path the buck took was. Takes us 30 yards but we find blood! Not a lot but it’s deep red. Few more feet more blood again and again more spots of blood but still not a lot. This goes on for almost an hour and maybe only covering 200 -300 yards. We hit last blood it’s almost 8pm and we are not 100% sure where in the woods we are. So we mark it and back out.

At least three of us will be back in the morning to continue. We all have the same thought that it’s a liver hit and we should be able to find him. Now will he survive a bit of a warm night and the coyotes who knows.

The good New is the daughter absolutely loved it all well except the pitch black woods and will be joining me tomorrow on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Good luck to those going out. Cant go out again this weekend oldest daughter and wife are in salem so im hanging out all weekend with the little ones. Not bad they keep me busy and laughing.  But im living through everyone elses stories so hopefully some ones got a good one.

Moho good luck trying to find that deer.

4 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Damn that chili to hell! Never should have gone back for seconds last night!!! Got one in the chamber, but hope it stays there until I make it back to camp! (Think happy thoughts , think happy thoughts.....)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

You ain’t gonna make it....but alas, it won’t hurt the hunting. :)

Had an eventful evening hunt with my daughter. Could not have been in the stand more than 30 min when a small doe came by about 60 yards. She was just milling about and the daughter was all excited. The doe turns to walk away and I give her a few calls just to see if she could get any closer just for our amusement. My surprise she turns around and starts coming back.

Now we are just watching her mill about still 60+ yards away. When out of the corner of my eye I catch movement. Sure enough 2 small bucks join in on the fun. One has a decent body but not much of a rack. I drew back on him and he caught my movement and ran away but the other one stayed and now the doe has joined next to him.

They are both about 75 yards away and not responding to my calls don’t matter what I do. So we sit there content at watching them when another buck comes trotting into view! He’s a decent body 6 pointer nothing to write home about but also not one to pass on with my daughter in the stand with me. He comes into 40 yards almost perfectly board side and I let the arrow fly!

The shot felt ok but the sound at impact sounded more like a smack into the ground vs. a solid thud into the deer. Caulked it up to a miss figured we would get down find the arrow and get out of there before dark.

Well no arrow to be found. Do a quick check for blood or hair also nothing. Now it’s getting dark so I call for help from the guys I’m with. They arrive with big flash lights and off we go following what I think the path the buck took was. Takes us 30 yards but we find blood! Not a lot but it’s deep red. Few more feet more blood again and again more spots of blood but still not a lot. This goes on for almost an hour and maybe only covering 200 -300 yards. We hit last blood it’s almost 8pm and we are not 100% sure where in the woods we are. So we mark it and back out.

At least three of us will be back in the morning to continue. We all have the same thought that it’s a liver hit and we should be able to find him. Now will he survive a bit of a warm night and the coyotes who knows.

The good New is the daughter absolutely loved it all well except the pitch black woods and will be joining me tomorrow on the track.

Could be brisket too. Broadside liver should be a pass through.

Damn that chili to hell! Never should have gone back for seconds last night!!! Got one in the chamber, but hope it stays there until I make it back to camp! (Think happy thoughts , think happy thoughts.....)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Just let it rip from 20' feet u p. You can't get the deer if you are sitting on the pot inside the house .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk