Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Apparently there’s a worm hole that I drive through and it pops me out in one of those Spots in east NY , where guys seldom see deer .

If it wasn’t for cams I would swear there ain’t a deer around on this side of the state. But they come through when I can’t hunt or when I go in a different direction this year. 

16 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

If it wasn’t for cams I would swear there ain’t a deer around on this side of the state. But they come through when I can’t hunt or when I go in a different direction this year. 

At least you got cam pics 

And that concluded my bow season. Had some more does come in the adjoining field about 330 and a 4 pointer in and out of the field twice no shot. Oh well there is always gun season. Good luck to anyone else going out this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And that concluded my bow season. Had some more does come in the adjoining field about 330 and a 4 pointer in and out of the field twice no shot. Oh well there is always gun season. Good luck to anyone else going out this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was a new one for me this morning. I have never seen deer tolerate coyotes at all, always vacating the area. Well, this morning I had turkeys and deer feeding on acorns around me. I heard something coming up the hill from the swamp and assumed it was another deer, but it wasn't making as much noise as the earlier ones.

Up into sight walks a nice bear. It proceeds to walk about 60 yards from the closest deer, and starts crunching up acorns. The deer knew he was there, but other than bobbing their heads and keeping an eye on him, they kept right on feeding as well. 

When the bear left, he went back towards the swamp, and as the deer left, they all headed to the swamp as well. It was neat to see and interesting to me that the deer will tolerate a bear but not a coyote.

• Like 7

Well gave up hunting this afternoon to watch the bills and boy oh boy do we suck! Doesn't look like I will be able to get out till the gun opener due to work. 19 more years of this work thing getting in the way of my hunting. Good luck to all!

• Like 2

It was a new one for me this morning. I have never seen deer tolerate coyotes at all, always vacating the area. Well, this morning I had turkeys and deer feeding on acorns around me. I heard something coming up the hill from the swamp and assumed it was another deer, but it wasn't making as much noise as the earlier ones.
Up into sight walks a nice bear. It proceeds to walk about 60 yards from the closest deer, and starts crunching up acorns. The deer knew he was there, but other than bobbing their heads and keeping an eye on him, they kept right on feeding as well. 
When the bear left, he went back towards the swamp, and as the deer left, they all headed to the swamp as well. It was neat to see and interesting to me that the deer will tolerate a bear but not a coyote.
What part of NY ? .JC

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I had a really nice 8 point chasing a doe go by me today. The doe starting heading towards me but of course the buck took off after her and she turned the opposite direction and he followed her. The closest he came to me was about 50 or 60 yards. Just when I thought it was going to happen the doe headed him right away from me and to the other side of the ravine I hunt by. I could have decked him with my rifle. That's usually my bow hunting luck. That's the second time this season I had close encounters. The first encounter was, I started to draw on a nice buck and never saw the deer that snuck in behind me and as I started to draw, the deer behind me spotted me and blew and you all know the rest of the story.

• Like 1

4L - heard some deer running close to close, but across the line of pines. I couldn't make out the culprits, and saw only one tail. I grunted and bleated, hoping to fire up an aggressive buck, but no luck. Deer went silent, and that was that.

And I lost my face mask. That's aggravating as all hell. I have no idea where I lost it. I was in a hurry to get out, and must have dropped it somewhere along the way.

All in all, I think I found a decent place to hunt a south wind in the afternoon. Just need to move to the other side of the pine line.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Apparently there’s a worm hole that I drive through and it pops me out in one of those Spots in east NY , where guys seldom see deer .

Hey, you found my spot!?!?

Sat for 4hrs this morning and 3hrs this evening, without seeing a deer. In between hunts, my son and I hung a new stand. With the snow cover the past couple of days, he's been able to see a little farther. He saw good bucks entering a thicket ~80 yards to his right, the past 2 mornings. Decided to throw a stand up to cover those trails. He had to head back to work, so I'll be keeping that stand warm for him this week! :rolleyes:

• Like 2