Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 hour ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Even if the arrow passed completely through?

yes. assuming it doesn't hit an artery there are no vitals there. It sure as heck would hurt, but these are tough as nails creatures. Think of it like a gun shot wound below your shoulder but above your heart. survivable.

it's not a guarantee he's not dead like some others said, but it is not a guaranteed kill. Nothing in the deer woods is a guarantee lol.

honestly that's what you should be hoping for as it's been almost a day and now rain/snow. just being realistic in that it's an unlikely recovery if he's dead.

Edited by Belo

Saw a shooter at 8:20, just out of range. I laid a scent trail using fresh doe in estrus urine (picked up from a local deer farm) on his trail, so I thought for sure he would come in on a string! He sniffed it a couple of times, looked around, and casually chose the other path at the intersection to walk down! I tried a couple of doe bleats and buck grunts, but he could care less!!

Other than a few scrapes, I haven't seen ANY sign of the rut! No seeking, no chasing, no responding to grunts, little activity, no nothing! WTF!!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Pulled cams on the way out for  a potty/coffee break...had a good sized 6pt walk past stand I shot the buck last week from...and a small 6 on the apple tree cam...Plus the spiker I saw on neighbors.....not a single doe this morning...going to try middle of woods stand here in about a half hour...

I also shot a doe about an hour ago.. 

A few years ago I accidently, shooting sraivht down, shot a doe in the back bone. It floored her and she looked to be dead. Well she jumped up and got away before I could get another arrow nocked and shoot. Lesson learned. If they are still moving, shoot.. well...

After shooting high this morning and hitting a doe in the back. She fell.. . 4 arrows later I still had to climb down and finish the poor girl off.. She kept on spinning around in the brush and I never had a clean shot at her.

So lesson to be learned..

1: make a better shot.

2: get a bigger quiver 

Not my proudest moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, silent death said:

Mines a 6.5 creedmore rpr with the bdc800 scope...it's really to heavy to hunt with..it loves the 143gr ELD X pills great rifle for out to 1000yards

Mines 6.5 grendel. Only shot it out to 300, need to find a longer range than my back yard. 123 gr ELD in mine.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I also shot a doe about an hour ago.. 

A few years ago I accidently, shooting sraivht down, shot a doe in the back bone. It floored her and she looked to be dead. Well she jumped up and got away before I could get another arrow nocked and shoot. Lesson learned. If they are still moving, shoot.. well...

After shooting high this morning and hitting a doe in the back. She fell.. . 4 arrows later I still had to climb down and finish the poor girl off.. She kept on spinning around in the brush and I never had a clean shot at her.

So lesson to be learned..

1: make a better shot.

2: get a bigger quiver 

Not my proudest moment. 

Well at least you got her...Congrats...

• Like 1

Congrats to all on some nice deer taken over the past few days!  I was out yesterday. Had a doe circle behind me at 20 yds but no shot. As soon as she left a guy comes down the trail on his cell phone. First thought was who is this jerk?! Turned out to be one of the guys working the farm. They were planning to cut the beans yesterday but ground to soft. I decided to hang a free new ladder stands. While in doing that the trespasser from last week comes in to collect his stand. Lots of activity, just most of it wasn't deer. At this point though I should be good for gun season. I have a few stands I feel good about and fewer trespassers.

d0d568c2586d2c7dc8d685cb00dd5a0b.jpg

Sitting on the edge of the marsh. First estrous scent trail, and likely the only one.

Last buck only hunt in 4L, but holding out hope for a cruiser.

Worth noting: 8:45 am, 4K, two doe in field feeding. That group is normally 7 or 8. Who knows why the other doe weren't around, but I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that some were locked down.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 1