Peeing in the woods

MPHunter

When I was a young pisser, I got in trouble with the local farmer. He saw my name written in the snow, in his daughters handwriting.......hehehe.

As far as deer, I have never seen any ill effects. Have peed in scrapes and had mature deer come in and pee right over mine, caught on camera. I have seem this quite a few times.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Do you drop a deuce off the stand too? 

After an Atomic burger laced with banana peppers and fresh jalapeños for lunch and a full order of stuffed Hungarian peppers for dinner last night if i had been hunting this morning anything was possible. I love my $ Smartwool socks but not that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Ahh, the curse of older blatters &/or morning coffee drinkers!

I use to be also obsessed with this as part of complete scent control. Initially used a pee-bottle, until I realized I was dumping the bottle after the hunt under the very stand I had been sitting in... DUH! Never had a deer alerted by the scent of human urine since I've been simply letting it fly overboard.

Actually shot a buck a few years ago that come right to the base of my ladder stand sniffing where I'd pee'd earlier. His last mistake!

At least for the guys, the only real solution to this dilemma is to use a catheter. Not something I'm voluntarily going to do!! :notme:

My question would be...How many mature bucks have you taken after pizzing around your stand?   I would not make it a habit if you are hunting the real deal.

I worry way more about "clearing" 2" of clothing than I do what mature bucks think of my piss. I'm sure if you hunted the same stand every day eventually the buck would be able to figure it out but someone like me who might hunt a stand 3 times in a year I have killed plenty a mature bucks with my wiz at the bottom of my tree. Maybe bucks just like the smell of my piss mixed with chew spit and it makes an attractant?

No problem peeing from the ladder stand . Just make sure you don't pee on the ladder rungs !

In my blinds , I use a Gatorade bottle as I don't want to make any noise unzipping the door to the blind or making any unnecessary movement . At my elevated blind , I had a funnel attached to a hose that went to the ground and that worked out well . 

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

My question would be...How many mature bucks have you taken after pizzing around your stand?   I would not make it a habit if you are hunting the real deal.

Two of the biggest bucks came by my stand last Friday of bow. I was in that stand for 6 days straight and pissed off of it 2-3 times a day. There you have it!

I used to carry a bottle because I was told not to contaminate the stand area. I forgot to empty one bottle, left it in my backpack, and found it 9 months later when I was getting ready for bow season. I almost barfed when I saw it, and was just thankful the cap had been on tight. Never again after that.

47 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

But the smell of human scent turns most inside out or on full alert at the least?  Hmmm?

Yup. 

This year I hung cams over a few different scrapes and freshened them up with my own pee, zero animals were spooked by it. In fact many different animals stopped to sniff it, does, coyotes, Fox, and even squirrels. 

The buck in my avatar is checking his scrape I peed in for the third time that week. I timed it right where my scent was gone before he came through. No problems 

17 hours ago, MPHunter said:

So I see comments on here about peeing off tree stands and peeing in scrapes. This is something that I would never think of doing. I can't imagine that human urine is even close in scent to deer urine and would definitely alert them. When I have to pee, I walk 30 to 40 yards up behind my stand to go and I still feel like I could be compromising my hunt. My days of sitting 8 hours without taking a leak are behind me. I'm contemplating a pee jug. Am I being paranoid? For the people who pee care free, what is your actual experience? 

This is interesting topic, I just read an article on it about a month ago. I'll sum it up quick.

It basically said that yes it smells different to the deer and they relate it to some kind of predator, BUT, they don't know it's a human scent. They would actually have to see you pee and then go smell it to put it to a human. They smell predator pee and scent every where they go so it doesn't bother them. If the smell of pee bothered them then they would be going crazy all the time.

I have always gone right from my stand and have never seen any negative effects. In fact a couple weeks ago I went one morning about 30 feet from where I parked my ATV and not 15 minutes later after I got in the stand I looked over and there was a doe and a fawn standing about 10 feet from where I went, they didn't even pay any attention to it.

8 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Well let's put it this way. Show me the pics of mature bucks taken from a stand that the hunter pisses from on a regular basis? I can promise ya the ones that piss all over their areas do not kill mature bucks on a regular basis.

Pa where I was hunting they piss right out the shadow blind windows and get multiple good deer every year.