Eating tag soup

JRod 8G8H

Had a few opportunities at younger deer that didn't meet our standards for harvest. And I missed my #1 with Bow. I guess you can call it Tag soup. Yes, I still have all of my tags, but it was a successful season regardless in my book. I would like to take a deer or 2 before season since the family loves venison, Only got out a half dozen times all season so far. I Learned a lot more than I thought I knew again, and saw deer every sit. Just waiting for #1 or #2 to step out this last week or a couple of decent doe.    

2017 hunting season sucked for me.  Unable to use bow I waited for crossbow with incredible anticipation.  The day before I had a serious health condition diagnosed that resulted in major surgery less than a week later. Hunting season shot and frankly secondary. 

Two weeks later, with the help of my hunting buddies I was back in a blind. But, my son lost my tags so I had to have them reprinted. Then he found them. I spent 2 days out, then got a nasty cold. Right now I'm hoping to take out that smoke pole this weekend to take one more shot at it. 

Will I get in trouble if I use all my tags for my soup? 

Its great to get outside. It beats laying around my house.  Cherish your time out there folks, you never know what lies ahead. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, upstate said:

2017 hunting season sucked for me.  Unable to use bow I waited for crossbow with incredible anticipation.  The day before I had a serious health condition diagnosed that resulted in major surgery less than a week later. Hunting season shot and frankly secondary. 

Two weeks later, with the help of my hunting buddies I was back in a blind. But, my son lost my tags so I had to have them reprinted. Then he found them. I spent 2 days out, then got a nasty cold. Right now I'm hoping to take out that smoke pole this weekend to take one more shot at it. 

Will I get in trouble if I use all my tags for my soup? 

Its great to get outside. It beats laying around my house.  Cherish your time out there folks, you never know what lies ahead. 

it sucked for me too i had shoulder surgery just before bow season so no bow hunting. i got out with cross bow a couple times.but without a crank that was not happening either, its  been a ground season for me except for the ladder stand.

• Like 1

I dissagree.. using the term tag soup for any unused tag is wrong. I killed 4 deer myself. 2 in now and 2 in gun.. I still have one for muzzleloader  I have no room in freezer.. my camp has taken 7 buck and 4 doe. Every one at.camp has a deer from bow or gun.. 

Just had a conversation with oldest member of camp on if we should even go out ..as everyone that usually drives with us this weekend also has deer... the topic of waiting for just a really nice buck came up but I counters with if you don't need the meat that big buck will just be even bigger next year( we have several 3 year olds still on camers) so do we.do an injustice just to fill our tags ?  Until you stop the tag soup idea management will truly never be possible with the idea we need to fill all out tags to be sucessful

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I dissagree.. using the term tag soup for any unused tag is wrong. I killed 4 deer myself. 2 in now and 2 in gun.. I still have one for muzzleloader  I have no room in freezer.. my camp has taken 7 buck and 4 doe. Every one at.camp has a deer from bow or gun.. 

Just had a conversation with oldest member of camp on if we should even go out ..as everyone that usually drives with us this weekend also has deer... the topic of waiting for just a really nice buck came up but I counters with if you don't need the meat that big buck will just be even bigger next year( we have several 3 year olds still on camers) so do we.do an injustice just to fill our tags ?  Until you stop the tag soup idea management will truly never be possible with the idea we need to fill all out tags to be sucessful

Extra like

• Like 1

3 total for me, plus I took a deer a buddy shot (he is old and didn't want to pay to have it processed). I can still hunt in PA until the end of January, if I want to brave the elements.

I'm almost curious to see what tag soup tastes like. I am liking the taste of venison less and less as time goes on. I have plenty of people I can donate some to if it comes to that, but I'm getting tired of all the work involved with butchering something that I don't especially care for on the dinner plate....:mda:

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

3 total for me, plus I took a deer a buddy shot (he is old and didn't want to pay to have it processed). I can still hunt in PA until the end of January, if I want to brave the elements.

I'm almost curious to see what tag soup tastes like. I am liking the taste of venison less and less as time goes on. I have plenty of people I can donate some to if it comes to that, but I'm getting tired of all the work involved with butchering something that I don't especially care for on the dinner plate....:mda:

I've got several friends that are avid hunters and won't eat venison. There true sportsman. Love the outdoors, the excitement of scouting, setting out trail cams, ECT.  Just don't like the taste of venison. 

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

need to start catch and release like fishing. 

i consider myself a trophy hunter with the idea that I prefer to kill bucks and typically attempt to pass smaller bucks and doe for a nice 2.5 and up. This year I broke that idea to put some bow meat in the freezer and honestly need a few more. My wife uses a lot of venison for my family of 5 and a few bad breaks has me looking at a pretty weak excuse for a freezer. 

What's kind of interesting is that the past 2 seasons has felt like I've had little to no pressure to shoot a nice buck and I'm more worried about getting enough meat in the freezer haha.

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I've got several friends that are avid hunters and won't eat venison. There true sportsman. Love the outdoors, the excitement of scouting, setting out trail cams, ECT.  Just don't like the taste of venison. 

Part of all this I've gotten spoiled....killed axis deer in Texas, caribou & moose in Canada, a bison in Wyoming...whitetail is just OK. I know how to cook and cut meat, so I don't think that's any part of it. I could try hunting for horns, but honestly if I bring another mount into the house I will probably wind up in divorce court. These days I have as much fun trying to knock a squirrel out of tree as I do rolling a deer. A guy who likes to hunt and fish could have worse problems I suppose....:boredom:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Belo said:

i consider myself a trophy hunter with the idea that I prefer to kill bucks and typically attempt to pass smaller bucks and doe for a nice 2.5 and up. This year I broke that idea to put some bow meat in the freezer and honestly need a few more. My wife uses a lot of venison for my family of 5 and a few bad breaks has me looking at a pretty weak excuse for a freezer. 

What's kind of interesting is that the past 2 seasons has felt like I've had little to no pressure to shoot a nice buck and I'm more worried about getting enough meat in the freezer haha.

Thats the biggest problem being a Trophy hunter willing to eat the buck tag....Not filling the Oh So Many doe tags the state gives away.  Myself, I have always had plenty of venison if i did not kill one hunting but anymore if i ever went empty in the woods i would go without. So far so good on always getting it done in the woods with at least a few doe's.

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Thats the biggest problem being a Trophy hunter willing to eat the buck tag....Not filling the Oh So Many doe tags the state gives away.  Myself, I have always had plenty of venison if i did not kill one hunting but anymore if i ever went empty in the woods i would go without. So far so good on always getting it done in the woods with at least a few doe's.

what i suffer with is a self inflicted passing of doe during archery, only to see my opportunities diminish during gun. this year was a rare bit with the neighbor, but still the same it's what you get when you pass early.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

what i suffer with is a self inflicted passing of doe during archery, only to see my opportunities diminish during gun. this year was a rare bit with the neighbor, but still the same it's what you get when you pass early.

That was me this year, usually I take an early doe during bow season but didn't because of warmer temps and I like to let the deer hang. This had me scrambling the last week just to put some meat in the freezer. I managed one doe on my dads in 8F then another down here in 8W that I shot literally the last few minutes of regular season. I won't wait so long next year but I will still be trophy hunting like I usually do all season long.

• Like 2

Tag soup for me. As usual, no doe permits where I hunt (only hunt gun) but could have easily taken multiple doe. Passed on a nice 4 pt (twice) and several spikes. Passed on an iffy 40 yard shot through tree limbs on the largest buck I have ever seen alive in the woods. Opportunities were there, I just couldn't legally or ethically take advantage of them so I can't say the season was a disappointment.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...