Meet my newest hunting partner

StevieSacs

Meet Dutch, our new DD puppy that we got yesterday! My wife and I couldn't be more excited. I've raised one of these before and was amazed at how smart they were, so I promised myself i'd get my own once I got my own house.

What better day to hang with the new pup then on a snow day!

Some pics below​​​​​​​!

IMG_2141.JPGIMG_2142.JPGIMG_2143.JPGIMG_2144.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 30

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

What a good looking pup!! I want one too lol!

Now for my ignorance what is a DD?

I should have just spelt it out!  Its a Deutsch Drahthaar.  Its basically a German Wire-haired Pointer.  I BELIEVE the only difference is that there are very strict breeding guidelines to have it fall under a DD.  

Going to put this pup to work next season!

• Like 1

Nice. Fantastic dogs. Mine is the most persistent dog I've ever seen. He's my best buddy but he almost cost me my marriage with his antics between age 6 months and two years! He couldn't not be contained in any sort of fence in the yard. He would dig under or crawl over most anything. He finally mellowed out at age four, at age five now and with a younger lab around he has turned into a couch potato. 

IMG_20170319_083206716.jpg

• Like 4

Nice. Fantastic dogs. Mine is the most persistent dog I've ever seen. He's my best buddy but he almost cost me my marriage with his antics between age 6 months and two years! He couldn't not be contained in any sort of fence in the yard. He would dig under or crawl over most anything. He finally mellowed out at age four, at age five now and with a younger lab around he has turned into a couch potato. 
IMG_20170319_083206716.thumb.jpg.ae5f43a00007449c2e166f139ac3fef3.jpg

Looks like a wise old sage!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, StevieSacs said:

I should have just spelt it out!  Its a Deutsch Drahthaar.  Its basically a German Wire-haired Pointer.  I BELIEVE the only difference is that there are very strict breeding guidelines to have it fall under a DD.  

Going to put this pup to work next season!

I can’t believe I missed this thread. 

To over simplify JGHV is the Germans version of the AKC geared towards hunt tests etc. We have it in the US now https://www.jgv-usa.org/

They help keep control of the lines and who breeds them. Unlike most groups from the US that let anyone breed which of course leads to crappy breeding practices. 

I had a GWP and it was out of it’s friggen mind unfortunately. I sure wish I knew more back then but what can you do. No breeder is going to tell you not to buy from them unless they are good. I had a DD breeder talk us out of one of hers for a first bird dog because she knew it would be a handful and more than we needed at the time. Great breeder! 

We have two Wire Haired pointing Griffons now that a similar to DD in that they are original lines aka Korthals Griffons. 

Enjoy the pup, it goes by in a heartbeat. 

On 3/8/2018 at 11:43 AM, left field said:

Really handsome breed. And nice to see breeders unified in putting working ability over conformation. 

You can’t have one without the other, if a dog is out of the acceptable size it can’t hunt as good ie too big to maneuver the field as it should. 

The German system has strict standards on confirmation. 

Couldn't take it.... 

Meet Red... LOL

aaared6.thumb.jpg.61886f211f0768c24cfc19609109f087.jpg

Good looking pup! So I get why you are called Grizz but can’t figure out why he is called Red.
My dog’s name is Trico and the breeder busted my balls cuz he was only TWO colors...color had nothing to do with my pups name- the Trico is a fly I hooked a monster trout on in Montana many years ago and I always loved the name.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, crappyice said:

Good looking pup! So I get why you are called Grizz but can’t figure out why he is called Red.
My dog’s name is Trico and the breeder busted my balls cuz he was only TWO colors...color had nothing to do with my pups name- the Trico is a fly I hooked a monster trout on in Montana many years ago and I always loved the name.

Wife and I love the TV show "Blacklist" Reddington or Red is one of our most favorite characters ever... So, Red was the perfect name for our short hair.. LOL... plus, it is a conversation starter... LOL

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Wife and I love the TV show "Blacklist" Reddington or Red is one of our most favorite characters ever... So, Red was the perfect name for our short hair.. LOL... plus, it is a conversation starter... LOL

That's funny . My older sister has a cat named GIBBs . She named it after Jethro Gibbs from NCIS . 

• Like 1