From the antlers or meat thread , do you like venison

rob-c

10 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

News Flash. If venison was that good, you could buy it in any store. My deer are made in to smokies, so I know none of it goes to waste.

Most of the venison that is consumed in this country comes from free ranging wild deer.  In many states it is illegal to sell wild game meat, and that is a good thing.  In our part of the world raising cattle has been very profitable and thus our society has been programmed that beef should be the meat of choice.  You go elsewhere in the world and beef is not used nearly as much as it is in this country.  Venison IS good, and to me and many others it is preferable over beef.  Just because it is not sold in stores has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of it.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hugedogleg said:

Made some last night with ground wild hog. Noticed the same thing. No grease and very little shrinkage. Tastes better than beef.3139fda0a0eff1e4acc9c72583404a83.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

For your sake I'm glad that wasn't a Yeti cooler you had in your picture.  Angry mobs of NRA members are on the lookout for them!   LOL

• Haha 1

Love venison, but I have had it cooked so poorly that even I couldn't eat it... and that's saying something! If cooked properly it is easily my favorite red meat. Funny though, I don't really care for ground venison... it's not really about the taste so much as it is the texture. I donate all my ground venison.

Edited by nyantler

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

We depend on the meat. Cut it up ourselves to what we want, and use every pound off the carcess.  Cook well to kill the bacteria, pathogens and prions, same as any other meat. Our homemade sausage is delicious. Pulled venison is heaven. 

You can cook till the cow's come home and i dont think you are killing any Prions

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, moog5050 said:

Venison is good.  We don’t waste any.  But I will take a ribeye first any day of the week. I like a little fat in my grilled meat and that’s not so good with venison.  Now stew or cooked other ways, it rivals beef.  

Ditto but I'd go with the Porterhouse over the Ribeye.

I love venison - all cuts and recipes.  Each cut has it’s own best way of being prepared.  That’s one of the things I love - knowing exactly where on a deer a piece of meat came from and the best way to prepare it.  I  also love beef, but given the choice , I would take venison (wild)  first.    

I have not used bacon as a part of a recipe in several years.  Any version of a recipe calling for a pre-made product (i.e. Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup) is also off my radar.   If you like that, great. Just not my favorite.

If you are looking for true, authentic and delicious recipes really made for using Venison or other wild game - check out Hank Shaw’s cookbook BUCK, BUCK, MOOSE.  Or his website and blog at honest-food.net.  Also lots of recipes utilizing other types of game or foraged (mushrooms, ramps, etc.) foods.  

Venison and beef are not interchangeable. Or comparable.  

16 minutes ago, Otto said:

Venison and beef are not interchangeable. Or comparable.  

It certainly is interchangeable when it is ground.   Not only do tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli, stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage, chili, etc taste as good or better with ground venison, but they are much better for you when you substitute that.   I agree that they are not comparable, because the beef is far more likely to help put you in an early grave by America's #1 killer - Heart disease.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It certainly is interchangeable when it is ground.   Not only do tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli, stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage, chili, etc taste as good or better with ground venison, but they are much better for you when you substitute that.   I agree that they are not comparable, because the beef is far more likely to help put you in an early grave by America's #1 killer - Heart disease.    

I rarely use ground venison.  If I do it is for Venison Bolognese Sauce. (And later using that sauce for lasagna). I would be happy to share that recipe with anyone.   When we process our deer, most cuts are left whole to use as needed later on.  If I need to grind it, I can do it after it thaws.  

If I was using beef for any of those other items, I would be sure to drain the fat well and use less fat in the recipe overall.    With venison you don’t need to do this.  Sometimes, you may even need to add a little fat - i usually use olive oil, sometimes butter.  

• Like 1

I rarely use ground venison.  If I do it is for Venison Bolognese Sauce. (And later using that sauce for lasagna). I would be happy to share that recipe with anyone.   When we process our deer, most cuts are left whole to use as needed later on.  If I need to grind it, I can do it after it thaws.  
If I was using beef for any of those other items, I would be sure to drain the fat well and use less fat in the recipe overall.    With venison you don’t need to do this.  Sometimes, you may even need to add a little fat - i usually use olive oil, sometimes butter.  

Id love to have that recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I think we've all had some bad venison. Just last night we had steaks and rice. My piece was great and the wife's a little chewy. I think back to the process of cutting up the deer in the fall and while we take great care, we can get sloppy with some cuts and trimming. 

With that said, for taste I'd take some beef any day, but I like venison and it's "free" and so much better for our health. My wife and 3 boys eat the heck out of it, but my 20% pork ground is probably the most preferred. 

I have killed enough deer that I take little thrill in filling my tag, but it is the only way I can get venison. Luckily everyone in the house loves it. We Americans have gotten so used to eating beef, pork or chicken, anything else isn't considered as "good". I love trying new meats, and seldom find one I don't like...they are just...different. Venison needs to be cooked different than beef My wifes favorite is country fried. Mine is sprinkled with Bucks seasoning and seared over an open fire...but I don't get it that way very often.

I served tenderloins blackened on the cast iron to a friend who says he didn't like venison...He does now!

There are times I crave venison, times I want a fatty chuck roast, or a pork shoulder roast. Different type. no such thing as what is best. (Lately I have been craving some curried goat or lamb....awesome stuff!)

• Like 3

growing up i used to think it sucked. my mom didn't eat it but cooked it (bad situation with any food). my dad was stubborn with adding too many "spices" to make it too "spicy". it was always cooked well done. we always processed our own. that said i started learning about cooking when i lived on my own and refining how i process and prepare venison.  now i love it.  i've even turned others who previously refused to eat it. there's days were i drop the ball and leave it on for too long or something else. i love favor but it's all subjective. like i haven't taken enough liking to lamb yet. i don't know how some can compare venison to beef. they're totally different favors and red meats. we eat venison all year long and burn through a whole chest freezer. that said i have days where i crave a nice beef ribeye like a lunatic. others where i'm thinking about a blackened rainbow trout on the grill. others were i'm glad i have half a pig in the chest freezer. i love venison as another different food.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 9:11 PM, moog5050 said:

Venison is good.  We don’t waste any.  But I will take a ribeye first any day of the week. I like a little fat in my grilled meat and that’s not so good with venison.  Now stew or cooked other ways, it rivals beef.  

Same here , this rib eye in Pittsburg ran me about $200, with drinks and tip. I love my deer tenderloin and backstraps,and ground the rest for chili and such .

But beef is way more tastey .

028FEDB0-2AC5-4639-9129-E852C655E72B.jpeg

• Like 2