shots fired shots fired!!!!

rachunter

Watched this last night. That is quite intense. And yet they still get ridiculed.

Ive heard a 12ga go off in side the truck once as a child, for some unknown reason lol. I bet that handgun had to be stupid loud as he squeezed those off inside that car.  

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Saw that last night. Why would anyone shoot through their windshield in hopes of hitting a target. It is against the law to text and drive but shooting and driving is acceptable :o

Not sure if serious? :pleasantry:

The murder suspects in the SUV had already shot 30+ rounds at police during the chase, endangering every single bystander in their wake.  There is plenty of training out there for shooting through vehicle glass (no idea if this LEO had any) so it's certainly possible to get rounds on target.  The LEO looks like he reverted back to his revolver training on the reload, but that dude still came out on top in a very intense gun fight.:good:

One killed the other wounded . At first on the reload he was putting his mag in backwards.  A high speed pursuit and gunfight with two murder suspects , I’d say all in all , the results were good .

• Like 8

results were definitely good from what you know by watching video. windshield doesn't mean anything. little cost to pay to get such criminals off the street.  only part i don't agree with is taking the risk shooting at them like that in a residential neighborhood. seems to be shooting more than a 9mm. those rounds can go far at that angle.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

Miraculously, no innocent bystanders or officers were hurt. Was it 19 rounds the officer fired before reloading? Looks like he needed every one! I'm happy he got to go home to his family.

way more than 7. i think i counted 15 which would make it a 40 cal assuming he racked the first round from the mag before heading out for duty.

edit: watched it once again. counted 5, 6, and 7 shot strings. so 18?  verdict still the same. bad guys had mags loaded up and he needed more than 7 to stop them.

Edited by dbHunterNY

I agree about rounds being shot out of a car in a residential neighborhood, but I believe it was the bad guys who started doing that , the cop just decided he had to end that .

It just so happens I’m soon leaving to weed wack, my range and do a little shooting, no plan on shooting through my windshield though , but you never know .

17 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

way more than 7. i think i counted 15 which would make it a 40 cal assuming he racked the first round from the mag before heading out for duty.

edit: watched it once again. counted 5, 6, and 7 shot strings. so 18?  verdict still the same. bad guys had mags loaded up and he needed more than 7 to stop them.

Could be a 9mm but those empties do look a 40 cal.  Oddly enough I watched a handgun defense show on tv yesterday testing critical defense versus critical duty ammo.  Significant difference in glass , sheet metal and ballistic gel.  

defense and duty ammo totally different. I've got +p+ 150gr that's jacketed hollow point for 9mm.  i'm told its standard issue FBI stuff but i have no way of confirming that. defense stuff seems to always be pretty close to if not frangible.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

windshield doesn't mean anything.

That is just fundamentally wrong. He would be shootign higher than his point of aim from his perspective in the car. How high at high speed and that distance? He got lucky on two counts. First that he got the bad guys and second that he didn't land a round on someone else.  Do get me wrong...I love half of the outcome. Wish the wounded one had turned out differently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubs said:

There is plenty of training out there for shooting through vehicle glass (no idea if this LEO had any) so it's certainly possible to get rounds on target.

No training involved in that one...that was strictly a spray & pray. Probably the same guy that empties his shotgun on a running deer, reloads, empties again, and the deer is still running.

48 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That is just fundamentally wrong. He would be shootign higher than his point of aim from his perspective in the car. How high at high speed and that distance? He got lucky on two counts. First that he got the bad guys and second that he didn't land a round on someone else.  Do get me wrong...I love half of the outcome. Wish the wounded one had turned out differently. 

i didn't mean trajectory and accuracy when i typed "...it means nothing". i was more getting at it was a better option aiming through it than pointing it out the window off to the side like he tried. also any hell he'd catch from shooting out his own windshield is worth the outcome.  he got close and might have been able to spot his impacts to some degree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

No training involved in that one...that was strictly a spray & pray. Probably the same guy that empties his shotgun on a running deer, reloads, empties again, and the deer is still running.

Sorry you see it that way.  From my chair, I see the LEO did get good hits on both subjects under extremely difficult circumstances, ended the chase and threat to others and one of the bad guys is cooling his heels in the morgue.  No one else was injured.  Like Nomad said, the results were good.

Here is a link to one of the many qualified trainers out there discussing the topic of shooting through glass.  There are entire courses dedicated to shooting into and out of vehicles.  It's not "spray & pray" to those with training.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Sorry you see it that way.  From my chair, I see the LEO did get good hits on both subjects under extremely difficult circumstances, ended the chase and threat to others and one of the bad guys is cooling his heels in the morgue.  No one else was injured.  Like Nomad said, the results were good.

Here is a link to one of the many qualified trainers out there discussing the topic of shooting through glass.  There are entire courses dedicated to shooting into and out of vehicles.  It's not "spray & pray" to those with training.

I think the video you posted goes further to support the belief that the officer was lucky to make the hits that he did. trajectory angle compared to line of sight increasing as distance to the bad guys increases. Add to that high speed pursuit and it was luck.  I would love one of our officers on the sight to set us straight. How many officers get to take part in live fire exercises shooting through a window while in a moving car that they are driving? Hell, even sitting in a stationary car shooting out to a target through glass. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

And the wonderful peaceful citizens of that town will probably flip cop cars to protest because the police officer shot to many rounds at these criminals. Then the 7th grade pictures of the suspects looking like “good boys” should be hitting the media outlets by the weekend!

I've been involved in a number of vehicle pursuits and the adrenaline without shots being fired is topped out trying to stay watchful and cautious to ensure no innocent bystanders get mixed up in the mayhem because the bad guy certainly doesn't care about other casualties. Thank God none of the pursuits that I was involved in included shots being fired during the pursuit.  Great job by LE with no officers or bystanders getting hurt.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think the video you posted goes further to support the belief that the officer was lucky to make the hits that he did. trajectory angle compared to line of sight increasing as distance to the bad guys increases. Add to that high speed pursuit and it was luck.  I would love one of our officers on the sight to set us straight. How many officers get to take part in live fire exercises shooting through a window while in a moving car that they are driving? Hell, even sitting in a stationary car shooting out to a target through glass. 

I can't think of any classes where students train from inside a moving car, but maybe the pointy tip operators get that stuff.  :)  For a typical patrol officer, I'd expect the vast majority to be shelling out of pocket for training classes like this.  Many will not.  

Calling this flat out luck takes away the credit this LEO fully deserves for stopping those threats and saving lives.  Guy is a hero in my book.  You can see that he adjusted to a full grip mid-fight to get more hits on target.  He positioned his car for better angles and close distance on the target.  He stayed in the fight til the fight was done.  None of that happens without reverting to skill sets learned from training.  Putting all those together from a fast moving car on a two-way range, I call that BALLS, not luck.  YMMV

4 hours ago, Jdubs said:

There are entire courses dedicated to shooting into and out of vehicles.  It's not "spray & pray" to those with training.

Trying to hit someone or something while trying to control a car especially under those conditions is spray & pray. Luckily  he didn't injure any bystanders in the process. If he had you can bet the news would be all over it calling for his badge.

I hate to disappoint you but Annie Oakley and James Bond are not for real.

• Like 1

Looks like fine police work to me. I can’t imagine staying calm enough in that situation to drive, continue communication over the radio and ultimately end the situation.
Any chance this guy was former military?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1