Implements you’ve killed deer with ?

turkeyfeathers

I've never taken a deer with my muzzleloader.   By the time season gets here it's so cold and I usually already have venison in the freezer.  Might have to use it during regular gun this year.  It might be my most accurate gun at 100 yards away. The thing is dead on.   Would like to break it in but it's hard not to take a regular gun.  And I would like to fill it in muzzleloader season.  Prob depends on how the archery season goes.  But would like to add the 50 cal to the list.

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've never taken a deer with my muzzleloader.   By the time season gets here it's so cold and I usually already have venison in the freezer.  Might have to use it during regular gun this year.  It might be my most accurate gun at 100 yards away. The thing is dead on.   Would like to break it in but it's hard not to take a regular gun.  And I would like to fill it in muzzleloader season.  Prob depends on how the archery season goes.  But would like to add the 50 cal to the list.

That last week is a fun week to get out, especially if you have snow.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

That last week is a fun week to get out, especially if you have snow.

ive been a few times.  One year I was chasing a nice 8 pt around.  But by then i usually have 2-3 deer in the freezer and a whole LOT of hours in the field.  Also the places i hunt are just setup for being on stand and really not big enough for a walk around day .  Plus its just damn cold out ... I dont really even hunt gun season as much either cause i love the bow season.  But all hunting is good and i have always looked at it as a safety net in case i havent gotten a deer it gives me an extra few days. 

I always thought a late season mule deer muzzleloader hunt would be pretty neat to go out on. Just with a general tag on public land but never put it together to go  

I have harvested deer with recurve, compound, shotgun with slugs, muzzleloader and crossbow.  The question did say "kill", not "harvested" so I'll add a knife and splitting maul.  I live off of a highway and there is usually one to two deer hit per year in front of my house.  Luckily so far none of the vehicles have been motorcycles.  By the way, the knife incident was definitely not a good idea but was the only tool available.  I found a 3 legged deer that had fallen into a sharp ravine and she could barely move.  I was a kid, did not want to see it suffer anymore.  But in retrospect it was unwise.

13 hours ago, loworange88 said:

386 bow kills?  you been shooting 10 a year for the last 39 years?

The best I've done is six in one day more doubles and triples then I can remember.I also hunted a few nuisance property's which gave me two extra months to hunt and where loaded with deer.The main goal was to fill the freezer with choose cuts.

I know my location says Stratford,ny but I live on long island over populated with deer.To shoot two deer in the morning then two in the afternoon was no big accomplishment.The picture with the two bucks on the lawn.I shot both within minutes of each other and let a smaller spike walk.

0BB751DE-041E-41E2-87B7-4B3F9FD85394.jpeg

EC52EC85-1123-41BC-8CBF-1918F81F1ACB.jpeg

Edited by rachunter
Add pictures
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

With a knofe it isnt bad when done the way I was shown. Stick it in the throat then cut out, don't try to cut from outside in, doesn't work so good

It was a long time ago but my recollection is that she had use of at least one hoof.  We all know those are dangerous.  I can't use a gun to dispatch a deer at my house because of nearby homes.  The last one was still in the road and still could use its hooves.  A humane way to dispatch a deer is to hit it in the neck just behind the head with a sledge or whatever heavy object is handy.  Don't hit the head itself, my experience is that does not work well.  I sure don't like any of this but it's safe and quick for the deer.  I can't see waiting for who knows how long while a deer suffers.

• Like 1

I loved that Matador, parents friends owned it and only drove it up,here in the summer ( lived 8 months in FLA ) I bought it for a grand when it was ten years old , clean as new .

Saddly it got totaled by a RPD car during a high speed chase down Clifford ave one night . At least I got to kill a doe with it on Bay road first .

mine was same as this one .

2E4B077B-F51A-48CD-BD2A-F304BB9F2668.png

21 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I loved that Matador, parents friends owned it and only drove it up,here in the summer ( lived 8 months in FLA ) I bought it for a grand when it was ten years old , clean as new .

Saddly it got totaled by a RPD car during a high speed chase down Clifford ave one night . At least I got to kill a doe with it on Bay road first .

mine was same as this one .

2E4B077B-F51A-48CD-BD2A-F304BB9F2668.png

I can see why you were the envy of every gremlin and pacer owner.  AMC produced some beauties.  

• Like 2

Recurve, compound, car, truck and shotgun. One time while hunting I heard a commotion in a creek bottom and walked over to investigate. A young lad had wounded a small  buck and run out of ammo. He was trying to finish off the hapless criiter by throwing small boulders at it. Fellow would not let me shoot "his deer". After several minutes I was able to talk him into using one of my slugs. I didn't realize until today that he was after the coveted "took deer by boulder" designation.

• Haha 2

I won't breakdown the different rifle chamberings, just "implements" the way I classify them.........

Longbow, recurve and compound

Shotgun

Centerfire rifle

Bolt action pistol

Blackpowder (real blackpowder) muzzleloader, inline ML'r with pellets and inline ML'r with smokeless powder.

Never killed one with a vehicle; knocked a few down but AFAIK they all survived.  Never killed one with a knife, hammer, ax, combine etc.  Don't want to either.

18 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Come on, Larry...You probably just can't remember all the chamberings....

For sure......260 Remington (pistol) .243, .270, 7mm-08, .280, .308, 300WSM in the rifle.

12ga for the shotgun and the only caliber I've used for my ML'r kills is .50

Could be missing something but don't think so?!?!

Damnitall, 375 H&H too.........

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1