Genesee NY 237 acres for 274k is that a good price for that area ?

Hunter007

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Says has barn and house both need work .

Got a link to the listing?

Sometimes when they say "needs work" it might be the roof or floors, or other possible structural damage. Or just needs paint.

Asking this is like me asking if a good deal on a .308 bolt rifle is worth it without any real information.

9 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

That’s a good price on land regardless of the house and barn.

At least in the buffalo area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only asked my question because in my area, if the buildings are deemed condemned, they will hit you hard on fines. Most of the time, some "folks" get away with 30 cars and 50 appliances that don't work on the front lawn.

I only asked my question because in my area, if the buildings are deemed condemned, they will hit you hard on fines. Most of the time, some "folks" get away with 30 cars and 50 appliances that don't work on the front lawn.

I guess it would be a matter of how bad the buildings are and what you intentions are.

Bad enough to be condemned but you want to build new anyways = no problem.

Bad enough to be condemned and you want to fix it up = way more money than it’s worth. Just build new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Paula said:

Pretty sure 237 does not run in Geneseo

I assumed he meant Genesee county, like Bergen, Byron area

It says 

Genesee NY, Allegany County 

I dont  know the  area that is  why im asking   and its  a drive to go look 

Edited by Storm914

I have a couple of friends who have camps in that area.  One of them gets 1-1/2 year old bucks regularly (usually spikes and 4 points, with the occasional 6-point, but I have never known him to get a "mature" buck.   The other guy rarely sees much action, and it has been a few years since they killed any deer at their camp.   It is tough to get doe permits there now, so the deer population must not be so great.  You can check that out yourself on the DEC website if you are serious about coming out west.  The local fire-hall use to run a pretty good snowmobile dice run every year, but I am not sure if they still do.  They also do a decent gun-raffle every year, for which I have contributed a bit of cash over the years, but never won a gun.      

I don't think the hunting justifies more that that price on the property, but if there is any timber there, you might be able to cash in on that to recover some of your purchase cost.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Thanks 1

one thing I will say is research research and research .If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.look for leans,ezment rights[ especially if the 2 neighbors have a agreement that wont be included if the property is sold] Also talk to people around the area but never say you are interested it the property. NEVER believe what the guy says selling the place hes trying to dump it.and look into possible land owner disputes in the past  .Nowadays it is much easier with the internet . My friend bought a place in hancock and everybody knew there was a dispute and nobody said anything to him the guys selling the property told him oh I got it surveyed last year its 40 acres you don't need a survey and this is the price so my friend never did a title search [he paid cash BIG MISTAKE] .Well it was 33 acres cause there was a dispute about a road [an ezment going between the 2 properties the guy that sold it to him said he owned the road well AFTER  he bought found out he didn't]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E J said:

Also that price probably doesn't include the mineral rights I would guess. That area has a lot of older gas wells around.

I've done some snowmobiling in those hills and it's rather common to come across old wells up on the hill tops . Beautiful country from the hill tops .

12 hours ago, Storm914 said:

It says 

Genesee NY, Allegany County 

I dont  know the  area that is  why im asking   and its  a drive to go look 

just do google maps or usgs maps of area if you have address. can find out most info from satalite that is good price for land only..and needs work buildings may have need to just be torn down

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I’ll bet storm has no interest in buying it. This is kinda like his many posts “thinking” about different guns. 

Fair price per acre. 

If i bought every gun i was  thinking about  pretty soon i would have  more guns then a gun store :)

Buying   land in area you dont no nothing about is a different story all together  seems low for having a house and a barn on it .  They most be total disasters. 

Farm consists of several acres of open and large fields.  Fields could be certified for organic crops.  Large acreage of mixed hardwoods with marketable timber and hemlock.  ATV trails throughout the property.  Also, there are 2 stocked, spring-fed ponds, and a creek runs through the center of the property.

Located on a dead end road with unbelievable views of the valley.  Great area for your dream house!

Houses and barn need work.

Would make a great place for a hunting club.  Full of pine trees and mature apple trees which are perfect for the whitetail deer.  Lots of wildlife signs.

Majority of the acreage comes with all rights to convey.  Great opportunity to rebuild the farm or for a hunting and recreational retreat.

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1