peep size

moog5050

Just curious how many here center the pin in their peep or center the housing in their peep when aiming.  I like a larger peep for low light and have always centered the housing and then put my pin on the target.  I try to find a larger housing (2" is perfect for a 1/4" peep) so that I have just a small ring of light around the housing when the peep is centered on it.

Read a lot about this, tried a few methods. Personally I center housing in the peep and I use a peep tube. My latex (not silicone--it sucks) peep tubing lasts approximately a season, so if it's been a while, I'll replace it shortly before hunting.

I really feel housing is the best approach. If the peep is sized just right it's much easier to ensure a perfect center, and also it allows full visibility on the level. If having no peripheral vision (e.g. target shooting) is fine, I would think that a minuscule peep centered on the dot might be a little more accurate, but for hunting you need to see a bit more of what's going on.

Here was a couple days ago using my sub $350 bow with Dicks/Field stream decimator arrows @ 30 yards. Bottom left I was aiming for the B. My sight was maladjusted, but this is what I get with a housing-centered approach :)

30yardsSept.JPG

I shoot a huge peep, I can’t remember what size I bought but I drilled it out as big as I felt comfortable going I want to say I used a 3/8” bit.

I don’t care about hitting a select hair I want to be able to hit vitals at 30yds at the last second of legal light, Ohio we have 1/2hr before and after sunset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I would find that really tough with a multiple pin sight and even more so with a larger peep.

Dunno, I focus on the target then bring the pins over it , never look or notice the housing at all.  I also have a 3 string peep so I always have a string in there.  .maybe that's why I just look at the pins.  But went out and shot and I don't even see or register the housing at all.  Figure once I'm at anchor point and pins are on target it must be within the housing or I wpuldnt see them.  

IMG_20180928_103417017.jpg

I personally do not use a peep ...just something else to go wrong. I think a consistent anchor point(or should I say ap)  is more important and concentrate on that with a single lighted dot for a sight. I like to keep things as gadget free and simple as possible.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

That bright color on the outside of the housing is just for that purpose!  I center the housing so I can see the circle perfectly, then I just need to put the pin on target.  Keeps my left, right and elevation perfect. 

Learn something everyday ! Had no idea I was supposed to use that orange ring for anything . 

Just now, Doewhacker said:

I use a 5/16 G5 Meta peep and basically everything lines itself up if your anchor is solid. I never have paid any attention to sight housings. 

True, i can generally anchor eyes closed and when i open it's centered

• Like 1

I center my housing with my peep always before every shot, that is why they housings are usually a bright color... My buddy who runs a mathews dealer showed me this years ago. I have never shot with a level either, until the used bow i recently picked up came with a level sight. My form must have been pretty good through the years because the bubble on the new bow is darn near dead level at full draw each time.  When i shot multi pin sights, I would put my 20yrd pin(1st pin)  dead center of the housing as well. Not sure of my peep size, not a single clue lol.

My single pin HHA comes center from factory .. I bought the bigger 2 inch housing not realizing i really wanted the 1.625" housing. but not that big of a deal..  

Edited by LET EM GROW