LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

On 11/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, grampy said:

Love it when a plan comes together! 

Buck Down! A solid two year old for here. Passed on two smaller ones before this one came in to 10 feet from the ground. Shot taken at 20 yards. Will post story later in the harvest thread.

20191103_092428.thumb.jpg.dff8a55a7a0ec18b9b66571041b3db13.jpg20191103_083054.thumb.jpg.ffaf3532e69cf24706113761ec8e9a6f.jpg

Bump.

Posted story in crossbow harvest thread.

Thanks to all, for the well wishes!

• Like 2

I don't care if your Robinhood or Legolas from LOTR but find it completely asinine to shoot doe and immediately trailing buck and have no idea of status of first shot. Two blood trails spells disaster . They are first time archery hunters to boot. A good shot or not doesn't matter.   Never heard if initial doe recovered but that buck supposedly shot twice now. He's not a pin cushion ! 

How would 2 trails be that difficult? I doubled once with gun. 2 different runs. Even if it wasn’t they’d either split or one would stop and you’d gut and then keep tracking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Belo said:

How would 2 trails be that difficult? I doubled once with gun. 2 different runs. Even if it wasn’t they’d either split or one would stop and you’d gut and then keep tracking

Because a Fn gun is different    And where does it say kids ? They were used to deer hunting. Young to bowhunting doesn’t mean kids. 

• Like 1

If its a marginal hit, dont shoot another deer. And when youve done this long enough you know a marginal hit when it happens. Jays point is that one blood trail can be tough enough

He said they were experienced hunters, just new to archery.

I’ve sat with an arrow nocked while I’ve given archery doe time before tracking. I bet most of you do.

Chris, if you were mentoring a young hunter, would you really have him send a second arrow on that deer ?

Stop making it out to be any more than a

Best way to get good at archery is to fling arrows and track blood.

I’d encourage a young hunter with the right tags, resources and daylight to send it.

Again also with respect to tf who I like a lot. I’m not sure 1 bow kill qualifies as good advice for what’s ethical witg regards to tracking archery shot deer. Heck my archery kills have all bled 10x that of gun except one where quartering towards and exited guts that plugged

• Like 2

I'm not going to clog up a good thread with this. If someone wants to start a new one I'll continue. But quite honestly, there's a clique on here who will agree with each other no matter what. To the guys out hunting tonight, good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Preach

i'm not in this fight one way or the other but there is the problem if the bigger the rack makes you choose to shoot different than the smallest scrawny doe that you would shoot. If its not a good enough to shoot one it shouldn't be to shoot the other. Just my .02$

I think we all want to feel and follow that. But it just isn’t reality. It’s in our DNA

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

Best way to get good at archery is to fling arrows and track blood.

I’d encourage a young hunter with the right tags, resources and daylight to send it.

Again also with respect to tf who I like a lot. I’m not sure 1 bow kill qualifies as good advice for what’s ethical witg regards to tracking archery shot deer. Heck my archery kills have all bled 10x that of gun except one where quartering towards and exited guts that plugged

I'm not against filling 2 tags , I guess my only concern would be if the new to archery hunters know the signs of a good archery hit before deciding to double up . 

7 hours ago, Chef said:

Saw a huge 10 driving this morning, he was on the off ramp of 87 getting onto the saw mill south. He was between the gaurdrail and the rock wall not many places for him to go hope he doesn’t get hit

What was he driving? ;)

• Like 4

@Fletch said it best. I also think a new bowhunter should show restraint and make sure to recover the first deer before flinging more arrows at whatever walks past after. It does take a while to learn what  a good hit and a so so hit looks like. Making a mistake should not disqualify a hunter either,that's how a lot of things are learned. So it seems a little reckless for a newbie too be shooting away.

I probably  had the best day  hunting in many years .I had a lot of opportunities  to fill my buck tag today . I had fun calling in 5 different bucks . Watched a couple flocks of  turkeys.  Watched a sharpie take a squirrel  off a tree branch not 20 yds  from me . Watched a young buck run my drag line 3 times   around before  realizing he was running circles . Just a great day to be in the woods.

• Like 11

Skunked again this afternoon, even though there was 4 new rubs right next to the stand.  Weird.  Maybe its a morning stand.
Also found out my uncle by marriage leased out my favorite spots, no warning.  Some days....  Looks like I'll be pulling 4 stands this weekend.
Wow, that was nice of him.

He would no longer be on my xmas card list to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Taylormike said:

For the fellow hunters that can't buy a deer, I'm on the list.  10 hours in stand today and saw nothing.  Yesterday 9 hours and a lone doe.  It's going to turn around, I'm remaining optimistic.

That's the spirit..The deer are always around,just not right where we set up. I tried to catch up to a buck and doe yesterday that my neighbor saw just down the road from my house,but i never did..Matter of fact,never saw a deer on the whole still hunt. I found plenty of sign,fresh scrapes and rubs and some giant historic rubs,oh my they got me excited. The size of the trees that were rubbed and the height of the rubs was impressive.

It is always a matter of the right place,the right time. I am having some problems with that as well,but it can change in a second.

• Like 1