Another anatomically incorrect log..

wooly

19 hours ago, wooly said:

Worked on giving the ol' stud a kid this morning and smoothing a few things out.

Just kinda decided on this on the fly once I got going since I really didn't have a plan on what to do if the buck head turned out alright.

DSC_0206.thumb.JPG.4601dbcc7ec51daad892805873b3d828.JPG

I sure do wish there was a "holy SH!T" button rather than just a "like". Awesome as usual. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Wooly,

Is there a special chain you use for this? One you like better than another?

Thanks guys!

I'm sticking with the Stihl chains for now. That's what I started with and feeling pretty comfortable with now.

I'm running three different pitch chains on three different saws.

My 12" carving bar is a 1/4" pitch .043ga..my 16" bar and chain is 3/8.., and my 18" is .325 .050.

Each one has a different duty in removing wood, but in all honesty you could do it all with one pitch to some degree of detail once you get the hang of things.

I'm just getting interested in some of the chain modifications and filing techniques that some carvers are using now. Once I dull up a few more chains I'll start experimenting with some of that on my own to see if there's a style that performs better for me. 

I started laying a little hair on this one yesterday after I posted those last pics.

Just need to do some shaping on the fawn yet and get things smoothed out before I start the finish work. I may start experimenting with a little paint on these things, but I'm not sure this is the right one to start experimenting on,lol

DSC_0214.thumb.JPG.cfd74a855d011d95d5a52cadea95c7f6.JPG

DSC_0216.thumb.JPG.320f3beddcd795ed8e6e9d66c21c4b13.JPG

Edited by wooly
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, wooly said:

Thanks guys!

I'm sticking with the Stihl chains for now. That's what I started with and feeling pretty comfortable with now.

I'm running three different pitch chains on three different saws.

My 12" carving bar is a 1/4" pitch .043ga..my 16" bar and chain is 3/8.., and my 18" is .325 .050.

Each one has a different duty in removing wood, but in all honesty you could do it all with one pitch to some degree of detail once you get the hang of things.

I'm just getting interested in some of the chain modifications and filing techniques that some carvers are using now. Once I dull up a few more chains I'll start experimenting with some of that on my own to see if there's a style that performs better for me. 

I started laying a little hair on this one yesterday after I posted those last pics.

Just need to do some shaping on the fawn yet and get things smoothed out before I start the finish work. I may start experimenting with a little paint on these things, but I'm not sure this is the right one to start experimenting on,lol

DSC_0214.thumb.JPG.cfd74a855d011d95d5a52cadea95c7f6.JPG

DSC_0216.thumb.JPG.320f3beddcd795ed8e6e9d66c21c4b13.JPG

I don't have any type of artistic ability what so ever and you can surly see things much better than I but, in my opinion, paint might ruin the beauty of the wood. I think the wood and the detail in the wood is what makes them so fascinating. Paint might hide that...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fletch said:

That is an excellent job!! Folks with artistic talent I am in awe of as I can barely draw stick figures lol!!

It's just like hunting man!

None of us are born good at anything... you get better as you apply yourself to it more.

I never imagined I'd put anything else over hunting, or photography, shed hunting, or any of my other outdoorsy interests, but you never know what the future has in store or how much you'll enjoy something you've never tried before.

Just another reason I like to keep an open mind and try new things even when I don't think I have any interest in them and am not very good at them in the beginning.... in this case, art. Who woulda thought this panzy crap would be any fun,lol

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wooly said:

It's just like hunting man!

None of us are born good at anything... you get better as you apply yourself to it more.

I never imagined I'd put anything else over hunting, or photography, shed hunting, or any of my other outdoorsy interests, but you never know what the future has in store or how much you'll enjoy something you've never tried before.

Just another reason I like to keep an open mind and try new things even when I don't think I have any interest in them and am not very good at them in the beginning.... in this case, art. Who woulda thought this panzy crap would be any fun,lol

You get a vision in your head of what's possible. Then you get a passion for making it all possible. That's art.

Then you buy really cool tools because they're absolutely necessary... and you can't do without them... and they're integral to the art... :pleasantry:

• Like 1

Not exactly the finish I had planned for this one, but the log has a mind of it's own sometimes and gets the final say.

Just need to clean up a few minor details around the base and dump a few more coats of spar varnish on it.DSC_0232.thumb.JPG.c6f874f99ad0f1016a3ae5487c8b4d7f.JPG

DSC_0235.thumb.JPG.04daf4e80c0e46e4dc578f5797948db4.JPG

DSC_0255.thumb.JPG.9ce86e8d7162a9ad08c024eac4b25798.JPG

DSC_0256.thumb.JPG.8ba3669dd80bef7acea7af3bee613efc.JPG

• Like 9

Not exactly the finish I had planned for this one, but the log has a mind of it's own sometimes and gets the final say.
Just need to clean up a few minor details around the base and dump a few more coats of spar varnish on it.DSC_0232.thumb.JPG.c6f874f99ad0f1016a3ae5487c8b4d7f.JPG

Ok I need to buy one of these from you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wooly said:

That is exquisite !!! 

• Like 2