What are your expectations for the season?

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Damn Wolc...Now I gotta shoot a button buck just to see if his liver is better than the average deer.. Not really interested  in eating his cojones, though....Maybe I could cook them up for The Mermaid and tell her that they are Canisteo River  Oysters...

She likes oysters...…...Hmmmmm….

I don't keep the livers from deer that are more than 7 months old, because I have nearly unlimited access to baby beef liver.   Those from older deer are always a little on the tough side for my liking.   Button bucks livers, on the other hand, are definitely in a class by themselves.  They are so tender that they almost melt in your mouth (if cooked medium-rare or rare) and have better flavor than the finest baby beef liver.  

If my "free" supply of baby beef liver ever runs out, then I might keep and try a few from 1-1/2 year old deer again.   I am thinking that those livers just might be tough because, like other red meat, they are subject to rigor-mortis.  A week or so in the fridge, prior to freezing, might let that rigor-mortis work its way out, much like it does for the rest of the carcasses.    

I am changing my expectations just a bit, to hopefully include a 1-1/2 year old deer, so I can give that a try.   The secret to the cojones (per Steve Rinella) is frying them in butter, and lots of pepper.   Remember to cut a small slit in them prior to frying, or they will explode, making a mess of the Mermaid's stovetop.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

.   The secret to the cojones (per Steve Rinella) is frying them in butter, and lots of pepper.   Remember to cut a small slit in them prior to frying, or they will explode, making a mess of the Mermaid's stovetop.     

Oh ballz , it’s not a secret anymore. See what I did there ?!

• Like 2

My only expectation is being in the woods. Getting to the point where I don't give a rats backside if I kill a deer or not for this year. Focusing on learning more about the public land I hunt and locating areas other people don't go.

Been a rough time this year with health, I know some others are having issues as well and I hope they are getting it sorted. So, I'm not pressuring myself to kill anything this year. Just happy I can still get in the woods.

• Like 4

It is true,high expectations can take the fun out of anything. I will just enjoy my time in the woods,anything besides that is a bonus. 

I saw quite a few bucks last year,so i am hoping it will be similar this year. I am still waiting for a good size buck harvest with the bow. But it certainly isn't a requirement,since i keep coming back regardless,haha.

• Like 1

Plan is to shoot a 170 inch buck on Long Island with the bow then a 150 in the Adirondacks and get a few friends into some deer.  Hitting Long Island a bit harder this year with 5 four day weekends to chase them!  Still debating a new camcorder for video. 

That's the plan I will probably pass most deer like usual but I debate shooting a 2.5 year old buck on Long Island as I see so many of them, ADK any good buck is worth shooting.  I also plan on doing some more aggressive calling early season simply because it's so much fun! 

• Like 1

This is a weird year for me, last season was my best season ever. I actually felt that between me and my cousin we took too many deer off of our small 25 acre parcel. That being said I may shoot one doe if it comes down to the end of bow season and I’m deerless( no doe tags this year). We have the most bucks I’ve ever seen on camera this year. All but one of them are super young. Spikes, 4’s, small 6’s and then my one big boy.

I guess in a way I’m kind of taking a slow down approach this season. I will exclusively hunt the one big deer I have. That being said if a good 8 or better comes passing through during the rut there is a good chance I let one fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all seriousness,. I am expecting to shoot some does, pass bucks that I wouldn't in years past and wait on a bigger buck that I never see.  Also expect to be with a hunter when he takes his first deer ever and have fun watching him field dress.  He called me yesterday and asked if he needed to buy long gloves for removing the butt.   That seems to be a concern of his.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My expectations are that I will see a ton of doe that I can't shoot because I won't have a doe permit (don't bow hunt); I will see a handful of spikes and four pointers that I won't shoot (self imposed, 6 point or better); I will see a couple shooter bucks out of range; my dad will shoot another 8 pointer; I will eat tag soup come second week in December; I will love every minute of spending the time in the woods with my dad.

• Like 3

In all seriousness,. I am expecting to shoot some does, pass bucks that I wouldn't in years past and wait on a bigger buck that I never see.  Also expect to be with a hunter when he takes his first deer ever and have fun watching him field dress.  He called me yesterday and asked if he needed to buy long gloves for removing the butt.   That seems to be a concern of his.

He does realize this is hunting and not broke back mountain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe high odds I get a freezer deer (doe/buck don't care) within three weeks of bow open.

Also fairly confident I have two deer total by end of Xbow and if that's the case I'll call it until gun. Most likely i will not get a gun deer because I'm back to public land where pickins' are slim, but at that point I don't need the meat and it's more about the challenge then.

Expect.... nothing lol I always get let down.. haha..

I would love for my wife to get her 2nd bow kill, and for me to be in the tree with her. If she connects, my season is complete!! As for me, people's Greed, attitudes and B.S. have been keeping me from really getting into deer season lately.. No one can just sit back and enjoy the privilege anymore. they Just take advantage of others hard work and respect. I mean Id love to connect on a doe or good buck with my bow but.. Id honestly rather call coyotes these days.. 

Its a shame the things people do when your back is turned.. Hunting brings out the worst in many people..    

Not really sure what the expectations are for this year. I took 2 in the 2017 season, but ate my tags last year. I'd like to get out in the woods more this year. I know the deer are there, and the more time I put in the better my chances should be. I hope to have a quality shot opportunity at any decent deer with my bow. That would be a first for me! I'd love to take one of the studs I have on camera, but don't know if I TF's patience. I like to think that I'd pass on smaller deer early on if given the chance, but the longer the season goes on the less picky I'll be. I expect to be cold, I expect to have fun and to enjoy the woods, I expect to share in my excitement with friends and family regardless of there being a deer on the ground.

• Like 2

Have him buy a butt out 2. That thing is pure gold if you ask me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would love to see my daughter take one it will be her first year. Then the son to get a NY deer. Maybe even the daughter boyfriend too, but then again he is a Cowboy fan so I'll probably put him in a spot that a deer hasn't been spotted in 50 years...

For me I'd like to get one in bow nice doe or buck. Then depending on what we have in the freezer I'll just hunt for the biggin. Would like 4 in the freezer between us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Have him buy a butt out 2. That thing is pure gold if you ask me

Heck no.  He has to learn how to do it without the modern day conveniences.  Plus, I hear they only work on bigger deer - which maybe he expects as a first deer since he was asking about mounting costs.

• Like 1

Heck no.  He has to learn how to do it without the modern day conveniences.  Plus, I hear they only work on bigger deer - which maybe he expects as a first deer since he was asking about mounting costs.
Idk it's worked on every deer I've taken. And regrettably I've taken a small deer when I thought it was a bigger doe. It was quite tender and delicious but I was still pretty bummed and sad about it

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Idk it's worked on every deer I've taken. And regrettably I've taken a small deer when I thought it was a bigger doe. It was quite tender and delicious but I was still pretty bummed and sad about it

I have one and it worked on my regular season buck last year like a charm.  But he will be doing it the old fashioned way first go around!

• Like 1

I have one and it worked on my regular season buck last year like a charm.  But he will be doing it the old fashioned way first go around!
Man strict teacher! I think I tried my first deer without. It's definitely not easy. Hell even with it's not the easiest thing in the world

2 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Man strict teacher! I think I tried my first deer without. It's definitely not easy. Hell even with it's not the easiest thing in the world

He is hunting with a flintlock too.  Just kidding.  Sharp knife works fine.

• Like 1