Anyone Else Already Makeing Plans B,C,D, Etc. ?

DirtTime

Not pushing it this season but, I am still working on different plans for different areas. Where to sit, what area to hunt, and how to play the wind in my favor. I like to have options for weather.

What say the masses? To early to make sure you have different plans for a hunt?

Edited by DirtTime

My plan, leave work early Tuesday. Drive to camp. Shower get dressed (clothes are washed and hanging) walk to blind, get on forum live from the woods. Shoot the shit with my hunting buddies on the forum. Put a arrow through the boilermaker on a 10pt. Have a short track maybe 100 yards. Dress deer, walk back get the ATV. Drag deer back to camp. Take to the processor/taxidermist.(usually process my own but heard good things about this butcher). Drive back to camp, smoke a big fat cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

My plans...Wait until gun season....Climb up into my elevated, heated tower blind...Shoot deer in food plot...Drive truck to deer and slide it up the ramp into the truck bed....Repeat at least one more time during season... 

Plan B....Drive up to Moog's and sit in Moog's tower blind...He loads his rifle...I shoot two deer with his rifle...Moog throws  them into my truck as if they are rag dolls.. I get lost again on my way home but eventually make it there....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My plans...Wait until gun season....Climb up into my elevated, heated tower blind...Shoot deer in food plot...Drive truck to deer and slide it up the ramp into the truck bed....Repeat at least one more time during season... 

Plan B....Drive up to Moog's and sit in Moog's tower blind...He loads his rifle...I shoot two deer with his rifle...Moog throws  them into my truck as if they are rag dolls.. I get lost again on my way home but eventually make it there....

You won’t get lost!

• Like 1

This has been the busiest year I can remember, when it comes to non-hunting projects.   I am thankful to have a couple extra weeks for planing, since I no longer bow-hunt (northern zone crossbow season opens October 16).  Currently my plans are to hunt the last couple days of archery season (with my crossbow), and the first three days of muzzleloader, up in the northern zone.   I burned 2-1/2 vacation days for that.   

I hope to get a little more "deer hunting practice" on squirrels at home with my pellet gun, on the next two weekends before that at home in the southern zone.  I just removed the scope from that, and now it wears fiber-optic sights similar to those un my yet-untested Remlin 336BL, 30/30 deer gun.   Killing a few squirrels with that pellet gun will boost my confidence for using those sights on deer later.      

After my northern zone crossbow/ML hunt, there will be a little break from deer, with some more squirrel hunting, but armed with a shotgun in case a fall turkey "target of opportunity" shows up as happened for me last year.  I am still working on plans for the two week southern zone crossbow season, which starts in early November.   I may try to place one more hang-on stand prior to that, but I am in pretty good shape with those that are ready now.

Where I hunt on opening day of southern zone gun season will depending on what I observe while deer-hunting (5) of the (14) days of the southern zone crossbow season.  I burned another vacation day for that crossbow season, plus have the two Saturdays and Sundays.  I will have to be selective with my buck-tag on opening weekend and the next, to make room for what "might" happen next....

Thanksgiving morning deer hunt will be at home in a shotgun-only zone, then it will be back up north for a few days of northern zone rifle hunting.   Those "paid Holidays" are sweet, and I am hoping for snow up there then.   Almost every year that we have had it (and I still have a buck-tag), I have scored on an Adirondack buck.  

I took one last deer hunting vacation day - for "stretching" the last weekend of southern zone muzzleloading season.   My buddies have a great camp, down in the southern tier.   If I have a tag left for down there, that is where I will go.  Otherwise I will be hunting at home with one or all of my (4) DMP tags (I have never been able to punch all of those).

It looks like we will still have almost a hundred pounds of vacuum-sealed venison left in the freezer from last year on October 16.  We go thru about 200 pounds per year.  I don't think it will be too much trouble coming up with another 100 pounds before December 16 (my last deer hunting vacation day this year).  Deer hunting is primarily about the meat for me.   

Edited by wolc123

38 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wolc   You have 100 pounds left ?! I’ve read a few times awhile back “ last pack “. How many deer did you kill last year for all that venison? Oops forgot you get 87 pounds from a 74 pound BB 

That was a bit further back (last year I got down to the last pack of grind).  The bb last year was 100 pounds minimum field-dressed, per the PA chest girth chart, especially after adding the NY correction factor.  Remember that in all 5 or 6 cases where members in addition to myself weighed and measured a deer, the PA chart came up short on the weight prediction.   I have not carefully checked the edible meat prediction.

I only personally killed two last year but I was given a couple by a neighbor.  Those he gave me did not yield much meat (a doe fawn and a badly shot-up 2.5 year old buck) but I did have a few left-over roasts from 2017 last year (the vacuum sealed stuff keeps very well), and the two I killed were "massive" for their age class (6 months and 3.5 years).  

How is your supply holding out ?   If you would like a few packs of vacuum sealed stuff (grind or roasts), send me a pm.  I still have a few fawn roasts left for "special occasions".   Cleaning out the freezer is a great motivator for the coming season.  Don't be afraid to "send one" this bow season.   It would be cool if you get another chance at that "goiter" buck.  It looks like he has put on a few pounds this year.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Have quite a bit of venison left. Just hunting fur and bone.. 

As for plans b,c d,e etcetera.. they have been worked on all year. New stands/blinds constructed, set , hung , trimmed. I think I can hunt a different stand every day for all of archery season...

Not criticizing the OP, but at least for me this planning for alternate strategies was done during the summer and in place by now. I strictly use ladder stands, so being "mobile" is not in my toolbox! After you've hunted the same area for ~15yrs, you get a pretty good feel about what might happen & when. Predictable.. NO way!

On 9/29/2019 at 2:02 AM, nyslowhand said:

Not criticizing the OP, but at least for me this planning for alternate strategies was done during the summer and in place by now. I strictly use ladder stands, so being "mobile" is not in my toolbox! After you've hunted the same area for ~15yrs, you get a pretty good feel about what might happen & when. Predictable.. NO way!

I always have different plans ready. I also always keep modifying them to suit weather and how much time I have to be out hunting.

51 minutes ago, grampy said:

I got my buck last year by being as adaptable as the deer. When what your doing ain't working, ya got to change what you're doing.

Yep!

That's why I started the thread. A base root of hunting is being adaptable. I have gone in set up, then the wind changes 20 minutes later.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:14 AM, crappyice said:

Due to the weather I have decided to hunt Monday instead. Should be cooler and less likely to rainemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No excuses get out there   you got  the best spots in the county   to hunt :) 

Edited by Hunter007