left field

Scope for muzzleloader?

Picking up a CVA Optima which can come with a scope that I understand is worthless, so I'm looking for an reasonable alternative. 

My needs are simple as I don't have a shot much past 100 yards. 

Any thoughts? Anyone have an older one they want to sell?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, left field said:

I've read mixed reviews but you may be right. However, is there a particular nikon scope you recommend? 

Theyre all pretty good for the money tbh. Im getting a CVA as well and im going to be getting the Nikon buckmaster II I believe.  

Leatherwood / Hi-Lux TB-ML 3-9X40mm Riflescope.  Its ML specific, very reasonable, good clarity, doesn't fog up and has not lost zero through 6 seasons and I am not particularly gentle with my stuff.  I have been very impressed with it.

Edited by moog5050

10 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Theyre all pretty good for the money tbh. Im getting a CVA as well and im going to be getting the Nikon buckmaster II I believe.  

Where are you getting yours? I may have to drive up to Kingston to find what I want and carry on to my place. Is there a good shop closer to the city? 

Just now, left field said:

Where are you getting yours? I may have to drive up to Kingston to find what I want and carry on to my place. Is there a good shop closer to the city? 

I have a friend who's going to order one direct from the company for me and get it sent to his house because he gets a discount on CVA. I know Dicks carrys CVA optima so you can check it out there and then buy it where ever you like.

• Like 1

Heck, if it is coming with a scope, you are paying for it...may as well give it a try. I like good glass, but earlier this year my Leupold scope on my .308 fritzed on me and wouldn't hold a group. I had a VERY inexpensive 4 power shotgun scope in hand, so I tossed it on it. It held a zero and group just fine. I will get the Leupold repaired (great warranty service ) but I am confident for this year. Cheap scopes nowadays are waaaaaay better than cheap scopes thirty years ago.

You have an option to buy open sights, rings or scope, but trying to find the exact configuration in a shop is tough. I may just try Bud's.

By the way, what makes a scope ML specific? 

I have a Nikon on top of my CVA Wolf....love it, ultra clear.

Check out Natchez shooting supply.  sometimes they have great deals on refurbs and clearance scopes.  I picked up another Nikon refurb for my .223 for $90.

CVA guys. Is the nitride barrel worth it? I wanted an Optima with a black stock but it looks like it only comes with SS. Nitride is reserved for camo stocks which I don't particularly want.

I got the CVA Optima and this year will shoot iron sights but then i want to put on a see-through mount with Nikon BDC...

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i have a fixed 4 power on mine - great for 100 yards.  Bushnell with circle X reticle and can be bought for about $65.00 .  

I live the circle x reticle me and my friend shoot them on our slug guns.

Leopold, Nikon, bushnell,weaver,vortex all got my vote

I'd be buying something with at least 4in of eye relief.  

2 hours ago, left field said:

CVA guys. Is the nitride barrel worth it? I wanted an Optima with a black stock but it looks like it only comes with SS. Nitride is reserved for camo stocks which I don't particularly want.

Both my MZ barrels are SS . If you plan on shooting Blackhorn, corrosion won't be a concern ,another reason it is so much better then everything else on the market .

I'm not an optics snob, but I love vortex.

Great glass, great warranty.

Lastly, I only buy optics that have some form of illuminated reticle. At dusk it makes a world of difference.

I usually run viper PST's, but found a Leopold that is illuminated

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I run a nikon buckmaster 3-9x40 on both my ML's. great scope for the price. but budget is your biggest deciding factor here.. 

Nikon, leupold, vortex Athlon.. all good scopes with good warranties 

Edited by LET EM GROW

I bought a CVA Optima earlier this year and got a Nikon P3 4-12x BDC scope for it. If your shots are all under 100 yards, you certainly don't need a 4-12x BDC though.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

On 11/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, JRod 8G8H said:

I got the CVA Optima and this year will shoot iron sights but then i want to put on a see-through mount with Nikon BDC...

No way in he!! I would ever use see-thru mounts. 

• Like 1