Online NYS pistol permit

turkeyfeathers

1 minute ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Thanks for the clarification.

Also what really muddies the water in NYS is every county is different, even the city of Rochester which is in Monroe county, runs things different than the county itself .

Heres some advice I was given by a friend who at one time did the permits as a police officer  for the city . Don’t  lie or omit things , get caught and you’re done right there . Use references that answer their phone , oh and that are ok with you have a pistol permit , yes some references actually say NO !

Rochester asks a lot of mental health questions , my daughter 10 years ago saw a counselor for “ anxiety “. Thinking that may be bad , I asked him ? He said that would not be an issue , trying to hide it would .

Be 100% honest , use solid references.

2 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

It still lists "receipt from a gun dealer of the handgun to be put on permit" on the Saratoga County permit application....

https://saratogacountysheriff.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Basic-Pistol-Application.pdf

Your county it seems may still run things the old way .

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Your county it seems may still run things the old way .

I'm fortunate to have some solid contacts with the Sheriff's Dept. as well as pistol safety instructors and such. I don't think I'll have much issue, and I do have several people to help answer questions. I'm just waiting until I know my parents are going to make it out here before applying. I don't ever plan on purchasing another handgun, but I will enjoy having my dad's old K-22 Masterpiece. I have some fond memories of plinking with my dad and my brother using that gun. 

3 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

So, looking at Saratoga County's application packet, one of the requirements is "• Have a receipt from a gun dealer showing the handgun that will be on your permit." This is where I'm kind of confused.

https://saratogacountysheriff.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Basic-Pistol-Application.pdf

Here in Steuben county you buy the pistol take the receipt to the court house . You fill out a form pay $10 and the nice lady adds it to your permit, you drive back to the store and pick up your gun.

33 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I'm pretty sure for Albany, Saratoga, Schenectady and renn  county you need a pistol receipt before a permit.

Forgive my ignorance - don't have a permit and never purchased a handgun - don't you need to have a permit to legally purchase a handgun? Or do you purchase and the gun shop holds until you have the permit and you can legally possess?

Splitear , No not correct , get the permit then a gun   . Our oldest has her permit but doesn’t have a gun on it yet . All guns are listed on your permit here , I was going to co register one of mine on it, after she moved ( just did ) but the county clerk is not doing any permit stuff now ....
It was my understanding at least here in Westchester that in order to co register you had to both live under the same roof. IE same legal address

Call Me The Teflon Don

14 minutes ago, MPHunter said:

Forgive my ignorance - don't have a permit and never purchased a handgun - don't you need to have a permit to legally purchase a handgun? Or do you purchase and the gun shop holds until you have the permit and you can legally possess?

The gun shop will hold ,only giving you receipt with serial number to process paperwork for permit . Then you will get it in your possession upon approval of said permit 

• Like 2

When I still lived in NY, my wife and I got our permits in Suffolk County. We were not allowed to co register any firearms. They were either mine or hers and went on our permits accordingly. We were only approved for Sportsman permits. I joined two 24 hr indoor ranges, one out east and one west in Nassau county.That way, if I was ever stopped (which I never was) I could say I was on my way to the range, effectively making my permit a full carry.

So glad I left that state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sodfather said:

Three years ago I applied and got prints done, wrote up my reasons on why I wanted a handgun permit and was declined. I always thought about trying this again but I imagine it’s even harder to get than before. It’s a bunch of crap and I wasted my money and time . 

Don't tell me that shooting the springfield didn't light some kind of fire. I saw the perma-grin.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, sbuff said:

The gun shop will hold ,only giving you receipt with serial number to process paperwork for permit . Then you will get it in your possession upon approval of said permit 

Here in Onondaga you have to purchase the gun and the dealer gives you a receipt. You take that to the Sheriff and pay to have the gun added to your permit. Then go back and pick up your gun. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sodfather said:

Erie County no felonies. I was a reference for a buddy of mine and a police officer called me for his interview. After we spoke I told him my story. He said Erie County it’s very strict. I gave up after that. 

Ive had multiple friends and family get thier permits in erie county. No issues at all, just takes longer than some surrounding countys. Crazy

4 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

It was my understanding at least here in Westchester that in order to co register you had to both live under the same roof. IE same legal address

Call Me The Teflon Don

One of mine is co registered with my daughter 80 miles away . I know a few guys who have their Dads guns on their permits , as part of the Dads estate planning  as well .

It’s  all confusing  , the way each county is different .

When our daughter moved , the new county said, to have her packet sent to them , then they’ll call her to come in and jump through their hoops.

Her old county said ok , but we can just put your new address on your permit and notify the State Police  of the new address ,and be done with it .

• Like 1

One of mine is co registered with my daughter 80 miles away . I know a few guys who have their Dads guns on their permits , as part of the Dads estate planning  as well .
It’s  all confusing  , the way each county is different .
When our daughter moved , the new county said, to have her packet sent to them , then they’ll call her to come in and jump through their hoops.
Her old county said ok , but we can just put your new address on your permit and notify the State Police  of the new address ,and be done with it .
The whole permit process in the state is completely bonkers

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 1

Erie County no felonies. I was a reference for a buddy of mine and a police officer called me for his interview. After we spoke I told him my story. He said Erie County it’s very strict. I gave up after that. 
Erie county had become a little more lenient the past year or two. I know a handful of people my wife included that received their pistol permits this year and each of them received a conceal carry right away. 
You mean "No restrictions"? I believe NY is a CC state....no open carry.
When I got mine in the early 2000's the course instructor basically said you needed to add a restriction like "hunting" or "Target shooting" in order to get a permit.... And then could get them removed after a few years.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

You mean "No restrictions"? I believe NY is a CC state....no open carry.
When I got mine in the early 2000's the course instructor basically said you needed to add a restriction like "hunting" or "Target shooting" in order to get a permit.... And then could get them removed after a few years.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Correct they got it with no restrictions.

When I hit mine about 7 years ago I received hunting and target shooting only and was told that I should wait about 5 years before applying for no restrictions. After 5 years i applied and received my permit up grade.

Everyone that I know that's signed up for their permits in the past 2 years received permits with no restrictions.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Red said:

Correct they got it with no restrictions.

When I hit mine about 7 years ago I received hunting and target shooting only and was told that I should wait about 5 years before applying for no restrictions. After 5 years i applied and received my permit up grade.

Everyone that I know that's signed up for their permits in the past 2 years received permits with no restrictions.

looked into this for Oneida County.  There was talk that if you took an addtional pistol class they might do that.  Nope.  I called them and they wanted a sign off from my employer and a reapply and then it would still prob be no.  Crazy - Now Lewis co and Madison co border it- no issue - could get it.  Makes zero sense

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

looked into this for Oneida County.  There was talk that if you took an addtional pistol class they might do that.  Nope.  I called them and they wanted a sign off from my employer and a reapply and then it would still prob be no.  Crazy - Now Lewis co and Madison co border it- no issue - could get it.  Makes zero sense

I've seen guy that live is a tough county and work in an easier county apply in the easier county that they work in. They got approved that way