Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Heard gobbling for 45 mins. Never came closer which sucks then I froze my dick off and decided to crawl back into my warm bed. On the bright side no ticks to worry about today since everything was frozen and frosty. Also saw some baby geese so they were really tiny and cute. Poor guys probably freezing to death today. Hopefully tomorrow is less Doo Doo weather. There's always next weekend

Call Me The Teflon Don

It’s only 730!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I stuck it out until my toes started getting numb from the cold about 7:00 am.   The wind started picking up about then also.  I got to my blind, on the east edge of our place, about 5:30 am.   It was calm earlier and I heard the first gobble (sounded like it was about 300 yards away, in the overgrown jungle farther to the east) at 6:25 am.  I tried a series of clucks, with my push button call, but got no response.   About 20 minutes later, I heard another faint gobble, farther away from the same direction.   Apparently that tom was moving away. 

I am going to try again tomorrow.  I will definitely wear the mickey mouse boots then, in which my feet have never gotten cold, even when the temps are well below zero.  The fields have dried up quite a bit since last week, so there will be no need for the higher, but un-insulated rubber boots in which my feet got cold this morning.  I did remember the muff and handwarmer today so my hands were good, otherwise I never would have been able to make it until 7:00.    A week ago, I heard a gobble about 100 yards away, right behind the house at 7:30 am, but it was not worth the frost-bit toes to stick it out that long this morning.   We still have one store-bought turkey in the freezer.   I will be ready tomorrow though.   

This past Wednesday, my wife saw the nieghbor to the east's nephews (dressed in cammo and carrying shotguns) walking up our lane at 11 am.   They were carrying a big rack from a "deadhead" deer.   From her description, it was very tall but not real wide, and sounded just like the one we saw (just to the west of our place) on an odd-acting buck, right next to the road, in late December.   It looked like he had the wits knocked out of him by a car or something.   I imagine the coyotes ran him down in that jungle next door, and that is where those guy's found the carcass.     

Edited by wolc123

Heard gobbling for 45 mins. Never came closer which sucks then I froze my dick off and decided to crawl back into my warm bed. On the bright side no ticks to worry about today since everything was frozen and frosty. Also saw some baby geese so they were really tiny and cute. Poor guys probably freezing to death today. Hopefully tomorrow is less Doo Doo weather. There's always next weekend

Call Me The Teflon Don

Dear WNY hunters of HuntingNY...The actions expressed in this post are that of the author only. They do not purport to reflect the opinion, actions or views of average SE hunters!
Shame!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Bed time. Also I don't hunt from a sissy blind. Otherwise if I did I'd be toasty and warm

Call Me The Teflon Don

Me neither. You think today is colder than deer season? Lol. I’m outside opening my pool right now.

• Like 1

Dear WNY hunters of HuntingNY...The actions expressed in this post are that of the author only. They do not purport to reflect the opinion, actions or views of average SE hunters!
Shame!

+ 1. Heard gobbles and leaves for bed?

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

Just getting a chance to post up my successful hunt yesterday. 14.09 pounds and pulled out of the freezer at approximately 9:45am. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png
1ce055ce82ad0b4959e56431c1442654.jpg

You hunting the same spot as me?

• Haha 1

Just getting a chance to post up my successful hunt yesterday. 14.09 pounds and pulled out of the freezer at approximately 9:45am.
1ce055ce82ad0b4959e56431c1442654.jpg&key=88712f96de4729f4317723cf98969c5ed20ad712b5f9a3a726a3fcef1f95ec87

Wow..that’s a clean plucking job!

27 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Just getting a chance to post up my successful hunt yesterday. 14.09 pounds and pulled out of the freezer at approximately 9:45am. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

While picking up a turkey for this Thanksgiving, I overheard this gem.

renderTimingPixel.png

A lady was picking through the frozen turkeys, but she couldn't find one big enough for her family.

She asked a stock boy, "Do these turkeys get any bigger?"

The stock boy replied, "No ma'am, they’re dead."

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Looks like I made the right call heading home. For the first time ever, I left 90% my cold weather clothes at home thinking it was going to be hot/sweaty/buggy,  not cool and windy like last week. I definitely didn't have the gear for snow.

49 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

We have a turkey for today too!  Great day for a full on Thanksgiving spread! 

• Like 2

Went out this morning and on my way to my property I got behind 2 snow plows that were plowing and salting the roads.The last hill to my property I came upon a pickup truck that couldn't make the hill even in 4 wheel drive.I was thinking I should have stayed home.It was like hunting in December.Temp was 24 degrees and about 3 inches of snow.I hunted for an 1 1/2 hrs and the wind started blowing so bad I decided I had enough.On the way out I came upon a lone set of turkey tracks.Will try it again in the morning.

• Like 1

What was the snow this morning and it stopped at everything was white in the woods the sun came out but now the wind just picked up to 30 to 40 miles an hour and snowing Again.. well if 22 minutes left might as well stay till noon at this point

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk