Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That sucks. I have tomorrow off and that might be my last try.  Getting too nice out not to fish. And the 3:15 ams are tough to keep doing. 

If I could plop down at 9pm and fall asleep it wouldnt be so bad but every hunt is basically pulling an all nighter, and Im shot for the day

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I could plop down at 9pm and fall asleep it wouldnt be so bad but every hunt is basically pulling an all nighter, and Im shot for the day

I think I turned the lights out at 9:30 last night. The alarm was set for 3:30 but I woke up at 3am and had to wiz, thus I was done sleeping.  5.5 hrs isn’t too shabby.  

But.......I just laid down in bed now for hopefully a 30-45 minute nap. 

Oh yea, I never heard a single gobble today and it was a glorious bluebird day without a stitch of wind.  If I didn’t know better, I’d think I lost my hearing last night.  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I think I turned the lights out at 9:30 last night. The alarm was set for 3:30 but I woke up at 3am and had to wiz, thus I was done sleeping.  5.5 hrs isn’t too shabby.  

Oh yea, I never heard a single gobble today and it was a glorious bluebird day without a stitch of wind.  If I didn’t know better, I’d think I lost my hearing last night.  :)

We hit some state land where we could have heard a bird gobble in a three mile diameter, stugots

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Pretty morning, clear and very cold, and an absolute bust. Possibly done for the year

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That sucks. I have tomorrow off and that might be my last try.  Getting too nice out not to fish. And the 3:15 ams are tough to keep doing. 

what's up with you guys giving up with 17 days to go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I could plop down at 9pm and fall asleep it wouldn't be so bad but every hunt is basically pulling an all nighter, and Im shot for the day

yeah same boat here. I try my best to get ready for bed by 8:30, but that turns into 9:30 and by the time I really start trying to nodd off it's past 10. And I don't do well on 6 hours of sleep so it kills my day. I know, I know i'm soft but it's still MY reality. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

at least know you're not alone. this has been a very odd year. Yeah the conditions haven't been great, but when they are a lot of us still aren't getting the activity we normally do.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

at least know you're not alone. this has been a very odd year. Yeah the conditions haven't been great, but when they are a lot of us still aren't getting the activity we normally do.

I agree. I have not heard a gobble the past two weekends. I heard birds gobble scouting weekend but nothing the past two. Hunted in pouring rain. Then hunted in a snow storm. Hopefully this weekend things will pick up. Good luck.

• Like 1

Question-no idea what I am doing even considering turkey hunting from all the wonderful descriptors today...when “putting birds to bed” do you use the owl hoot to locate them or is the owl for the morning to get them to gobble while on roost(is that a thing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Belo said:

what's up with you guys giving up with 17 days to go?

like i was saying - FISHING!!!!!  lol.  Walleye bite is on.  Rather fish than turkey hunt esp the later the month goes.  Dont have to get up at 3:15, drive 35 minutes to spot etc.  Not a big turkey guy - usually 5-7 hunts is good for me.  

• Like 3

Went with a buddy of mine to a fresh farm this morning I've never stepped foot on that dirt and as we're walking in I was thinking this is a perfect place for birds to roost and as I tapped him on the shoulder a bird gobbled 50 yards from us we eased back and further away from the bird. Got set up my buddy was adamant about using a decoy so I set that 10 yards in front of me and I moved 20 yards behind the decoy. The bird is still in the tree Goblin his fool head off and a hen starts tree talkin to my left I cover her up with a little tree talk the bird flies down as soon as his feet hit the ground I did a fly down because the whole time the bird was within sight of me and I couldn't do the fly down before he flew down.

I started with some soft calling no response turn up the volume he blasts a gobble directly in front of my buddy as it clears the brush I can see the bird wondering why my buddy's not shooting.

well apparently there was a limb across the birds head from where he was sitting so he had no shot and as soon as that gobbler saw that Decoy he started putting and the last I heard of him he was probably 200 yards away still putting and still running.

So that was it for the gobble talk this morning we tried some trolling got no responses and finished the morning about 10. I'm going to go back tomorrow morning and listen because I did hear three other gobblers so I will try to pinpoint better locations tomorrow morning to try another hunt on Friday.

Hopefully he can fill his tag Friday I'm jonesing to hear a gunshot been listening to birds every day since the 1st of March between here and PA and I'm itching to get back to PA where I can at least carry a gun there.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ok recap , second time out ( first season in years too ) , On walk in a saw one on top of the big green hill , I got settled in about 8:30 as I don’t do the 4AM thing for a bird . Saw ten deer in the field in little, over an hour , 8:45- 10 ish .

Was watching 7 deer looked over and only of  one birds from above post , was still in the tree, a few minutes later that one was gone . A bit later I see a bird enter the field , I glass it , and its a nice Tom maybe 10 AM or so , due to a high spot in center of field , he can’t see my decoys , I’m on a little knoll a few feet above my decoys which is why I can see him . I hit my Quaker Boy easy yelper ,nada .

Gman ,  no frost , although that’s something to remember , it was sunny and warm, I never even put my gloves on .

Ive got a grueling two half mornings in now , that may well be it , two today a sh!t load yesterday .

Edited by Nomad

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

In May-- it is Lights out for me by 9.30pm. Up by 2.30am . Try to Park by 3.50am or before. Coffee + a Catnap. Walk in at 1 hour before Sunrise or before it Brightens In the East. Hunt most mornings to 9am.  Sometimes 10am.  I know the last 2 hours are good- but, I am a Walker and tired by 9am.     This is how, I have hunted all 13 Days so far. An afternoon 1 hour Nap helps this older Dude as well.

Yikes! You get up about the time i go to bed lol. I hit the sack 1am-2am most nights. Alarm goes off at 8:15am on work days. I have been out twice. Once in the woods at 7 and once at 6 lol. I could probably get up earlier if I actually had any decent turkey spots, maybe.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah same boat here. I try my best to get ready for bed by 8:30, but that turns into 9:30 and by the time I really start trying to nodd off it's past 10. And I don't do well on 6 hours of sleep so it kills my day. I know, I know i'm soft but it's still MY reality. 

I got a full 2.5hrs sleep last night. trying to power through work and then mow the lawn and hopefully sleep like a bay tonight

• Like 1

I’ve been pizzed about rain , cold, 4 shots of possible birds whacked on property lines and no birds gobbling since first few days. But I went ahead and mounted this just now. Fug it. Daughter n I going in the morning. The payback for the miserable days will be getting one on film of her getting her first. The best is yet to come. Second half of season. Canopy and woods start to pop with greenery and birds start to get more vocal again . 81c9f5250e011080348e7b3e9277f339.jpg

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve been pizzed about rain , cold, 4 shots of possible birds whacked on property lines and no birds gobbling since first few days. But I went ahead and mounted this just now. Fug it. Daughter n I going in the morning. The payback for the miserable days will be getting one on film of her getting her first. The best is yet to come. Second half of season. Canopy and woods start to pop with greenery and birds start to get more vocal again . 81c9f5250e011080348e7b3e9277f339.jpg

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the video!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I have a warm feeling about tomorrow, Jay...I think they are going to be doing it...

Good luck to you and (especially) the kid...

Unfortunately I have nobody to take out in the morning..

• Like 1

Not hunting,but this morning I needed air in a trailer tire while airing up I heard a gobble then a cardinal sing then a gobble.This went on for ten minutes then I had to leave.Funny as can be it was almost like the cardinal was messing with the turkey.

So pissed about this morning my alarm went off at 4 and I turned it off and went back to sleep. At around 7:15 my sister in law texts me pictures of a nice gobbler behind her house. I get dressed and fly over there. He is still in the woodline but no real way to get close as the back yard is open. I try any way and get to within 30 yards. X bow only due to town ordinance. He slowly walks into the woods and I try to stalk. I’m lining up a shot now at 25 yards and 3 deer that I didn’t see spook Through and he’s off. He crosses the creek and out of sight. I sit with my back against the tree and bust out the box call. He responds quickly and gobbles to my calls for the next hour before showing him self at 55 yards. That was as close as he would come and I had to get back to work. If I was in my spot this morning like I should have been it would have been a 20 yard chip shot. Guess I’ll be out there Friday and Saturday

• Like 5