LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

We did it.  Spotted a deer off the road on the piece I scouted yesterday.  So se jumped in.  I sent enigma down to where they like to escape to and right towards the end of the little push I was doing up jumped what I thought was a doe and fawn.  Yelled to enigma they were coming and boom.  Ended up being a spike and small doe..  The spike got to take a ride in my truck.  I wont put enigmas face in the picture didnt ask his permission.  But he got a buck down on stateland late season.

20201219_121231.jpg

20201219_121201.jpg

Congrats and way to get it done late in the game sounds like a great team effort.  I am Itching to go hunting but have shopping and some work around the house to get done and some good college football this afternoon.  So good hunting to all out there today 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

We did it.  Spotted a deer off the road on the piece I scouted yesterday.  So se jumped in.  I sent enigma down to where they like to escape to and right towards the end of the little push I was doing up jumped what I thought was a doe and fawn.  Yelled to enigma they were coming and boom.  Ended up being a spike and small doe..  The spike got to take a ride in my truck.  I wont put enigmas face in the picture didnt ask his permission.  But he got a buck down on stateland late season.

Awesome!

HannibelSmith.gif

• Like 1

6b1606f3dbd307ac82ff7ec976aef6fd.jpg&key=9d7d731b0904fb994f4530e5baf24da3e51ea0b69e9d2b6600263237d0a248bbDon’t know where this rates on Biz’s score board but I’m gonna take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rates as a fawn gun kill? Are you thinking you’re the only one on the forum to track and shoot an antlerless in the snow today? Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Out for the afternoon hunt with my friend “Old Brian” trying to get it done!  Round balls, spit patches, buckskins and wool!  Encouraged as I saw fresh sign for the first time in a long time!  If all goes according to plan, we will be frying some tenderloins in the skillet for dinner!  Good luck to those who are out and congratulations to those who have harvested!!

D3A7681E-0E6E-459E-9CC7-D71D5885BEC4.jpeg

BE62191E-E968-4C9C-8094-43738CA3B65E.jpeg

• Like 20

Man.  Got soaked on the mile walk in to the blind.  Not a single track until our last field.  Horses have been out here breaking it up for them it looks like.  Not a single track across the lower field.  Bet if I was willing to walk an extra mile they're up by this big old oak that's still dropping acorns......

IMG_20201219_152017.jpg

Took 30 minutes to walk 150 yds into my bow stand through 40" of snow. Not sure what I was thinking but I'm out here. See some belly trails 50 to 60 yds out so they have been through here. Hoping but not expecting much if anything. c9ada7ca88d487151d17aedb32b47240.jpg467cb9e1da4bc9d155529e6b19d508d6.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I went out for about an hour this afternoon, and came within 30 yards of having a comfortable shot at 3 does. Made it to about 100 yards before they decided to move off. I’ll be honest, I really thought about throwing a round ball at one of them, but the last thing I want to do is wound one and have to track it through 30 inches of snow. Still, it was a blast and I found half a dozen beds, with about as many trails leading to a creek crossing. I’ll probably sit for a little bit in the morning and watch that crossing before calling it a year. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 2

In order to access my property, I would first have to  shovel out about a four foot snowbank to open my gate...

After that, if I tried to get up on the hill to my tower blind, I'd surely get stuck with the "city tires" on my 4WD pickup...

Ain't no WAY would I wade through knee deep snow to my stand OR try to drag a deer back down through it....

Deer season is over for this old white boy...if it stays cold I may get to ice fish a local pond in the next few days

• Like 6

Picked up some tracks at the back of the property and followed them til I eventually caught up with 4 doe , the biggest of the group offered the first shot so I took it . It wasnt as text book as we perfer and follow up shots were taken as I found her still alive . I didnt want to walk right up and head shot her for fear of her bolting so I sent a second shot that was sure to finish her but I still walked up and ended it as quick as I could.

IMG-20201219-WA0030.jpeg

• Like 40

Picked up some tracks at the back of the property and followed them til I eventually caught up with 4 doe , the biggest of the group offered the first shot so I took it . It wasnt as text book as we perfer and follow up shots were taken as I found her still alive . I didnt want to walk right up and head shot her for fear of her bolting so I sent a second shot that was sure to finish her but I still walked up and ended it as quick as I could.
IMG-20201219-WA0030.thumb.jpeg.cb02763984895a0af468846091f60444.jpeg

Atta boy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

IMG-20201219-WA0030.thumb.jpeg.cb02763984895a0af468846091f60444.jpeg

What inspired you to follow tracks, and how did you know they could potentially end at deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic