what would you do?

skyhunter

31 members have voted

1. 1. would you go for a 2nd buck?

• yes, I would hunt for a 2nd buck
    • no, I would not hunt for a 2nd buck

I've been bowhunting with a main partner for 4 years.

We went to Illinois this year and paid for a self guided hunt on a small parcel of land.

We set up stands but do to the size of the small woodlot the best locations for both of us are about 150 yards apart.

My partner shoots a 120 class buck and talks to the guy we are paying who says that he has an extra tag in case he wants to get back out there and hunt for a 2nd buck.

I myself have not yet had an opportunity to shoot a buck.

Now if you were my partner under these circumstances would you go back out there and hunt for a 2nd buck?

how much is this 2nd tag lol. it all depends how much longer are we gonna be there? if a few days or so give the partner a couple days to put his tag on a buck maybe try and film his hunt and after a couple days i might buy the extra tag. thats if i was a man with money. honestly the guy i hunt with would want me to get back into the woods asap.

I'm kind of a "one and done" guy, but that's only because we don't need anymore than one deer in our household. That's just a personal limitation.

However, if I didn't have that limitation, and assuming that there was nothing else to do in the area, I guess I would ask my partner if he had any problem with me continuing to hunt. It might also make a difference if I could see any way that my presence in my stand would impact his success. But if that were the case, we probably shouldn't have been hunting there in the first place.

I don't know, I guess there are a lot of different circumstances that might change my decision. But I do think that if possible, the successful hunter should at least consider doing whatever possible to help the other ..... if that help is acceptable and wanted. I might also consider some one-man still-hunt/drives for my partner if the area is suitable for that. There's a lot of different ways that decision could turn out depending on the conditions and circumstances.

What would be the difference of sitting in a woodlot up the road from your house in ny state. If he shoots a buck and still has a doe tag are you going to want him out of the woods or are you going to wish him more luck on filling the next tag. I hunt in spots with others in which we hunt the same funnel in sight of each other mabey 100yds apart when bow hunting and have let many bucks walk by me and down to a buddy that may not have shot as many with the bow. Myself i think if you wanted him to stay out of the woods would be more of a slam on you. If you are real friends...As you must be to take trips together.. I would say to him great buck and if you have the cash get yur a$$ back up in that tree. But also with me taking a nice buck and if i was seein more action i would tell you to come sit where i shot my nice120 and i will find another tree!!! But if he is like me i wont matter as my buddies always say i must smell like a deer as it seems they always seem to head my way. Ofcourse thats because i hang my hunting cloths in the deer buildings!!!

I left out what I thought would be obviuos to some but not all. I stated in the opening post that the guy said he "had an extra tag". Now obviuosly based on the responses here that sounds legal to some. Let me translate the true meaning of that for those that are missing something.

When a guy we're paying to hunt in Illinois says he "has an extra tag" what he's actually saying is that there is a tag laying aound in the name of one of his kin folk that could be used to take a 2nd buck should the hunter care to take the risk of hunting illegally with someone elses tag.

More of what we're talking about here:

two bowhunting partners going trophy hunting in the midwest.

we' re not talking about going back out there to hunt for a doe or shooting a 2nd buck for meat.

what we are talking about here is Illinois trophy hunting for large antlers on the wall.

So my partner decides he'll take the guy up on his offer (bigger tip now expected) and go out and hunt for a bigger antlered 2nd buck and do it with someone elses illegal tag. now don't forget also doing it on the same small woodlot as your hunting partner who has not yet had a shot opportunity.

Maybe now it's more clear.

Edited by skyhunter

Sky, That wasn't clear to me anyway from your first post. I wasn't sure if they were nuisance tags for that you couldn't transfer tags or that you couldn't purchase multiple tags.

That puts it in a different light. I would have to find a new hunting partner.

+1

Knowing now that the other tag already had someone elses name on it,no way would i take that offer.When first reading i thaught there was an extra tagg that could be purchased for his own.then if i had or could purchase extra than i would take another Buck.

The illegal part changes things. Especially with the reprecussions...let alone the moral/ethics.

But, I do have to ask...120"? Illinois? Trophy? Wow.

If it were legal, I'd be ashamed of myself if I kept my partner out of the woods in that situation. My partner shot a small buck in Ohio this year on the third day of our wwek hunt. It was only his second archery buck and he was thrilled with it. Since I left my camera at home (Doh!), he couldn't film me. Get this...he went and bought a doe tag just to sit in the woods - and had no intention of shooting a doe. Why? He knew shooting a doe would take away from my hunting time (one truck, dragging, taking to processor since we stayed in a hotel, transport time, etc.). But, he still wanted to get out there to see the rut in swing in Ohio and to keep pushing me to succeed.

There were two times where I actually spooked deer from the base of his stand when I walked to him from my set after a morning hunt. Still, he was content to film them with his phone and toy around with them a bit - he got a video of one licking a box of reflective tacks that fell from my pocket that morning as we walked in. To me, that speaks volume. I encouraged him to shoot what he wanted, yet he opted to just get out there. Any info he found was relayed to me for the next sit. Unfortunately, we ran out of time just as I felt we were learning the land and I came home empty. But, he didn't shoot another deer for the rest of the season here in NY, including gun. He never once b!tched about it.

I don't think I'd want to hunt with anyone who would want me to lay back if it were all legal/ethical, unless there were some biological implications (passing on does for a reason, etc.).

.......When a guy we're paying to hunt in Illinois says he "has an extra tag" what he's actually saying is that there is a tag laying aound in the name of one of his kin folk that could be used to take a 2nd buck should the hunter care to take the risk of hunting illegally with someone elses tag.

Yup ..... That's an entirely different question with an entirely different answer.

If he paid to hunt he has the right to go out if he has the chance, just because you havent gotten a buck is selfish. If my friend was hunting with me and shot a buck and i didnt id let him go out if he had another tag to fill. now you left out the illegal tags in the first one which seems to say that you were pissed off that he could go out again. If you were in his shoes we wouldnt have the discussion right now