Third Annual Bone Creek Rendezvous show and tell

dinorocks

Each year over the past several years I have organized a primitive rendezvous at my Bone Creek Sugar Shack.  I typically have about 10-12 attendees…more join each year!  The attendees come in period-correct attire (1750-1850), are given an event medallion (this year was a beaver tail pendant cut from a beaver tail I tanned), participate in multiple mountain man type competitions, and drink/feast/converse in front of a campfire into the dark.

This year’s rendezvous included seven competitions.  The first was woods walk with a stickbow and six self nock arrows – each person followed a trail of rock cairns and hanging turkey feathers throughout the hard woods and try to find hidden animal targets to shoot at; the one catch is that you cannot backtrack to get a better shot.  After everyone has completed the shoot, we walk back together to pull arrows and score.  There is a maximum of 6 points awarded (1 point for each small game target and 1 point for a kill shot on a large game target (-1 point for a non-kill shot on the large game targets)).

The next competition was shooting at 3-D foam targets along the side, and at the bottom, of a steep 50-ft plus hill.  There are six targets and a maximum of 6 points is awarded.

Third was an aerial archery shot.  I made a dozen flu-flu arrows with blunt tips, sinew-wrapped self nocks and turkey feather fletching (and thanks again to all those who donate their turkey wings to me following turkey season!).  I hoisted a foam turkey decoy about 30 feet in a tree and we each took a try to hit it with our flu-flu arrows.  Six points were awarded for a hit and everyone got to keep their flu-flu arrow.

Next was a black powder shoot using a flintlock or cap lock rifle and round balls.  We were going to make our own lead balls over the fire but decided that would be a bit too time consuming as everyone was excited to shoot.  I set up three separate shooting stations and each person took one shot at each station; 2 points were awarded for each hit (maximum of 6 points total).  The first target consisted of small logs with the bark removed on one side (to make them stand out) and balanced on a larger log.  The second target consisted of blocks of ice set up on some leaning logs (they literally exploded when hit) and the third target were gourds which I hung in tree branches.

A primitive rendezvous would not be complete without a hawk throw competition…6 points maximum was awarded in this event.  Three throws each…1 point for sticking the hawk in the log and 2 points for hitting the card.

Another competition was to use a “throwing stick” to knock down wooden pins.  (if you were stranded in the woods, your best method for harvesting small game would be with a throwing stick).  I had six pins set up and two throws were given to knock down as many pins as possible, with a maximum of 6 points awarded.

The last competition was a fire challenge.  Over the camp fire we made char cloth.  Everyone was given a piece of char cloth and a ball of jute.  Using flint and steel, the object was to start a fire and make it hot enough to burn a string set up between two logs, about 12 inches from the ground.  If you burnt the string in half within 5 minutes, you got 6 points, 6 minutes got you 5 points, etc. until 10 minutes had expired, and the event ended.

Following the competitions, the person with the most points got to pick first from the prize blanket (prizes donated from the participants), second highest next, and so forth.

We finished the evening with a Germen feast consisting of venison bratwurst, sauerkraut, mixed baked beans, and spaetzles (not to mention all the other hors d’oeuvres that were brought).  Everyone had a great time and I’m already planning for next year’s event!

Below are a few photos and a link to a slide show of the event consisting of photos taken by one of the spectators (thanks Lynne!). 

F74960F4-C137-43A8-8894-FEA43008CDE0.jpeg

68AA3879-C9BF-49C4-9263-1E9CEEE2F345.jpeg

8BCE3AAF-21BC-42DD-9877-3C7BDB0D8530.jpeg

• Like 11

Thanks for the comments!  My goal for the Bone Creek rendezvous is to get more people involved.  I considered this past rendezvous an ongoing success as that I didn’t need to “outfit” anyone this year as I have done in years past...this can be a very addictive hobby and folks who didn’t have gear last year, made or acquired what they needed this time around.  Some of the rendezvous I attend are very strict (I.e., all clothing must be hand sewn, all equipment must be period correct, no modern nothing!)....look up “The America Mountain Men” to see the 20 requirements for membership to give you an idea of how this hobby (or lifestyle) can be brought up to the n’th degree.

We are a bit more laid back!  If you are interested in checking something like this out, we have our Hawkeye Bowmen primitive shoot the weekend of April 23...spectators (and participants) are more than welcome! If you want to participate, a selfbow and self nocks are required.  If interested in joining the fun at the Bone Creek rendezvous next year, reach out to me in February so I have time to help you out with your attire and gear if needed.  Our group is very generous and helpful to get people involved.  If you just want to stop out to visit, I have extra capotes and frocks that you can use so we can keep with the spirit of the event.

Regarding who was the overall winner, it was very close but I got to pick off the prize blanket first (and it had nothing to do with the fact that I was the score keeper ;-).

And regarding our adult beverages, we are very responsible when it come to mixing booze and black powder... we do the shooting events early on before we start to hydrate.

I didn’t have my phone/camera to take any photos...Below is a link to last years rendezvous...

As a family we used to go to the eastern every year. We had a very large group that would meet and camp for a week every year. We had people from Long Island, Ohio, Maine and west by god Virginia. I do miss those days of going and am looking forward to going this year even if it’s just for visitors day as it’s only an hour from Buffalo in Gennessee county! 

I like doing stuff like that but for me February is too early in the year, I can not leave the farm until at least early spring when I am sure there will be no more snow as the wife would not be able to handle chores around here.

Al

1 minute ago, johnplav said:

I've got a tomahawk with a homemade sheath too  @Nomad We're about 97% away from being Real American Mountain Man members!!

Ya and for period clothes , I was thinking going naked ,would suffice ! 

• Like 1